Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Bus Driver Caught on Tape Reading Kindle While Driving

Video from Gawker. Bus Driver Reading Kindle While Driving

I was like, yeah? And? Is there a problem here?

Yes, I know it's dangerous, and I've never ever read my Kindle while driving, honest, mostly.

Edit: btw, that must have been one really good book.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Isn't this what audiobooks are for? Or at least the text-to-speech function.

Oh well, better than playing video games, which is what I think one of our local bus drivers was caught at some months ago. At least you only have to click the Kindle buttons every so often.

Mind you, the video-gaming driver at least limited it to playing while stopped at intersections.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Great video find. I also see nothing wrong here. A man who enjoys reading deserves to slip in a few pages even while on the job.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Totally unacceptable. As is texting while driving

This man needs to be fired, immediately.

That would leave him much time for reading.

If I had a kid on that bus, he wouldn't have to worry about being fired.....but thats just me.

Stupid moron.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
what a jerk! he could kill someone. glad he's on leave, and hope he stays there.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Nothing wrong? Please, please tell me you're joking.

The guy is reading a book while driving a $#@!! bus, with passengers no less, down a highway. He should be terminated as soon as possible, assuming of course that the video is in fact an accurate representation of the situation.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, people don't seem to get fired for gross incompetence and potentially criminal levels of negligence any more, unless there's been a serious accident involved.

The Sudoku-playing bus driver I mentioned above, no idea what happened to him. Probably the same suspensions and "progressive disciplinary process" that have been passed out to cellphone-using bus drivers that also got caught and YouTubed.

There are plenty of people who just flat out should not be permitted to drive at all, at least not on public roads; something which I see every day as a pedestrian. And my part of the province isn't even supposed to have the *really* crazy and reckless drivers. I feel sorry for anyone living where it's supposed to be worse.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to know why this person was put on "Leave".

Exactly what do you have to do today to be fired?

Never mind, people refuse to be held accountable for their actions, and most employers are too chicken fecal matter to do it for them, in this "sue happy" society.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
This driver has been fired, btw. But it's still an amusing story -- in a dangerous, completely socially unacceptable way.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This driver has been fired, btw. But it's still an amusing story -- in a dangerous, completely socially unacceptable way.
My error........I heard "put on leave".

Thanks for the correction
Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Unfortunately, people don't seem to get fired for gross incompetence and potentially criminal levels of negligence any more, unless there's been a serious accident involved.

The Sudoku-playing bus driver I mentioned above, no idea what happened to him. Probably the same suspensions and "progressive disciplinary process" that have been passed out to cellphone-using bus drivers that also got caught and YouTubed.

There are plenty of people who just flat out should not be permitted to drive at all, at least not on public roads; something which I see every day as a pedestrian. And my part of the province isn't even supposed to have the *really* crazy and reckless drivers. I feel sorry for anyone living where it's supposed to be worse.
Need I remind everyone what happened to Shirley Sherrod? Seriously, it wasn't that long ago.

In any case like this, there should be a reasonable investigation to determine the facts of the case. And then a proper decision should be made.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Need I remind everyone what happened to Shirley Sherrod? Seriously, it wasn't that long ago.
From my admittedly limited understanding of the matter, Ms Sherrod seems to have been fired for reasons unrelated to negligence and incompetence. At least, not her own.

But yes, I do hope that the proper investigation takes place, and that appropriate penalties are applied should the bus driver in this particular case found to be at fault regarding performance of his job duties and adequate regard for public safety, as those other bus drivers I linked to above were (minus the latest set).

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-17-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Totally unacceptable. As is texting while driving

This man needs to be fired, immediately.

That would leave him much time for reading.

If I had a kid on that bus, he wouldn't have to worry about being fired.....but thats just me.

Stupid moron.
If both of us had had a kid on that bus, you would have had to settle for leftovers!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post

But yes, I do hope that the proper investigation takes place, and that appropriate penalties are applied should the bus driver in this particular case found to be at fault regarding performance of his job duties and adequate regard for public safety, as those other bus drivers I linked to above were (minus the latest set).
The man was filmed READING while driving a school bus.
There is no doubt he was READING because he is shown changing the page.

No "investigation" is necessary. Fired. Period.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:27 AM   #15
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
This story just goes to show that no country or city is immune to stupidity.
Only this morning here in Riyadh I saw a bloke driving his Crown Vic and reading a broadsheet spread on the steering wheel.
I thought to myself "Only in Saudi". I guess I was wrong ...

Last edited by m-reader; 09-18-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Can't spell
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote