Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
sterling1989
sterling1989 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
Breaking up is hard to do....or not so hard after all....

I pre ordered at Kindle at the beginning of August. I was impatient to get an e-reader so I went out a few weeks later and bought a Sony PRS300. Love it! At least I did till 2 days ago. Reading these great forums I knew about the screen fade problem. I mostly read indoors but 2 days ago I took it outside and tested it. The words look like they melted off the screen. Pretty cool effect....if it wasn't on my own reader!
I was disappointed but didn't want to return it as the store may have many units from the same batch. So I called Sony yesterday and while the wait time was long, they were friendly and agreed to replace the unit with a new one as they were aware of this issue on some of the units. So everything is fine until I arrived home last night. Waiting on the doorstep was the Kindle 3 from Amazon. I honestly had forgotten about it because I was so happy with my Sony.
So I opened the box and plugged the unit in, noticing the thinness and lightness and textured back of the unit. Impressed but not as giddy as I usually am when I get a new gadget or piece of technology. After all, I love my Sony. We've been a pair for a few weeks. We've gone everywhere together. I felt like I was cheating even looking at another e-reader, let alone bringing another one into my home!
So that brings me to the crux of my post. After the Kindle was charged, I turned it on and gazed upon the best E-Ink screen I'd ever seen. It was like looking at the Mona Lisa vs the finger paintings of the Sony (Not really but I'm using dramatic license here). Angels were singing and light shown down from above while the Sony sat sad in the corner of my desk. I feel bad that my love of a device could change so fast but wow did it ever!
I think what I'm going to do is return the Sony to the store and take my $129.99 refund and add $9 to it and buy another Kindle for when I travel. The Kindle screen is that good. Its like Muhammad Ali vs Zora Folley. Who is Zora Folley? Exactly.
The Kindle 3 is a landmark in e-readers and is a triumph in every way. Sorry Sony. Kindle,
sterling1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Well, the new Sony Pocket has the same Pearl screen as the Kindle 3, so if you really enjoyed your old Sony Pocket you could get a new one as your travel reader.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Hush you, I just got a $100 prs300 from sears :P
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote