Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
AirZone
AirZone began at the beginning.

Device: nook
defective nook

Hello all, new here.
I need some help with my defective nook. Long story short I live in Israel and my GF bought me a nook a week ago. The nook was amazing and I had much fun with it until yeasterday when I opened it and I saw a white vertical line in the middle of the E-ink screen and messy grey colors and many "burned" fonts.

I read about it in the forums and understood that my nook is defective. I wonder why it took my nook a week to kill itself

Anyway I used skype for a free call and talked with a nice fellow in B&N and he told me they will gladly replace my nook problem is they can't send the nook to israel nor I can send them my nook (aka FUBAR). the thing is I understood why they can't send me the nook but why the hell I cant send them my nook from Israel? anyway my GF family lives in new jersy (where she bought it btw) and I can send them the nook and I guess they will have to send the nook to B&N and then B&N will send it to them and they will send it to Israel...BAH! it will take ages and man thats a mess.

The thing is, I feel that making my GF family do all the dirty work is pretty much sucks
Anyway I was wondering if anyone of the international nook users had problems with his nook and had to replace it and knows how a good way to do it? mabye use ship providers like USONESTOP? (they work in Israel).

Still if i could just send my defective nook directly to B&N it will help me with some major pain in the arse.

I will be glad to hear any tips/thought about this case.

Thanks

Last edited by AirZone; 04-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.
AirZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

the 'burned' fonts / white line likely shows damage to the E-ink screen and / or the devices that control the switching / bias voltages to the screen

.....I've had the burned fonts problem on my nook........though only because I took it apart and got curious as to what was under the metal covers, I broke the variable resistor used to adjust the bias voltage!
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
AirZone

Well I thought its something with my E-ink but hell I just clicked on the power button and it messed my screen. That made a lump in my throat...

BTW - How you got a replacement?

Last edited by AirZone; 04-29-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
nakita002
nakita002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Did you manage via a ship provider as this is the only thing holding me back from buying my Nook - I am based in Europe :-(
nakita002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
See if your GF's family can take it into the store, they may exchange it right there for you. This would save a little time, but you still have to ship it to the States and back...
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
AirZone

Hello all,
Im sending it to my GF's family. Gonna take some time but I will have to wait

but thats part of the deal I guess when you buy something from another country.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
AirZone

bah!

ok my nook arrived my gf's family and they went to B&N store to replace the nook. in the store they called to the nook support and they said to them that the problem with my nook is probably becuase in Israel we use different WIFI frenquancy. And it might be ruined again. They said if it will be ruined again they will not replace it to a new one...WTF?!?! anyway they said they are willing to give me my money back. I really dont want to but I had no choice for now they gave my money back and I said to my gf's family that i will check about it. I know the Wifi frenquacy in Israel is the SAME as europe. And I know theres people in here that are from europe and have no problem att all..

please help me
Is the support right? do I have to look for a replacement? (I really dont want to. I want my nook) if so, wich reader can I buy? (kindle2 international?)
anyway if someone can tell me that the support are wrong and the nook works perfectly I will be VERY happy.

thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirZone View Post
bah!

ok my nook arrived my gf's family and they went to B&N store to replace the nook. in the store they called to the nook support and they said to them that the problem with my nook is probably becuase in Israel we use different WIFI frenquancy. And it might be ruined again. They said if it will be ruined again they will not replace it to a new one...WTF?!?! anyway they said they are willing to give me my money back. I really dont want to but I had no choice for now they gave my money back and I said to my gf's family that i will check about it. I know the Wifi frenquacy in Israel is the SAME as europe. And I know theres people in here that are from europe and have no problem att all..

please help me
Is the support right? do I have to look for a replacement? (I really dont want to. I want my nook) if so, wich reader can I buy? (kindle2 international?)
anyway if someone can tell me that the support are wrong and the nook works perfectly I will be VERY happy.

thanks

that is weird I can see it not recognizing it but having the frequency ruin it? I would do some research, It sounds like you just had a lemon. I'm willing to bet if you called back and got a different person you would have a different answer.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
beschuit
beschuit began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (Kaput), nook
Quote:
the problem with my nook is probably becuase in Israel we use different WIFI frenquancy. And it might be ruined again
Screen malfuntioning because of WIFI frequency 'being different'? So laptops don't work in Israel? That sounds utterly ridiculous.

Last edited by beschuit; 05-23-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: added quote
beschuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
AirZone

LOL yeah thats was really strange. I know we use the same frequncey as europe. And I know laptops dont have problems in Israel and never had. But I dont know the nook so much, Didnt know what could cause the malfuntioning of the E-ink. The thing is I didnt want to take the risk again because they said that if it will happen again They wont replace it - they said that thats what they do with soldiers serving outside the US.

what to do? any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL yeah thats was really strange. I know we use the same frequncey as europe. And I know laptops dont have problems in Israel and never had. But I dont know the nook so much, Didnt know what could cause the malfuntioning of the E-ink. The thing is I didnt want to take the risk again because they said that if it will happen again They wont replace it - they said that thats what they do with soldiers serving outside the US.

what to do? any suggestions?

I would say have your GF take the refund, have her turn around either at a different time or even at a Best Buy, and repurchase, the transaction will be done by her, So let's say if something does happen to it, you can send it back to her and she can exchange or refund it.

that's what I would do
Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
AirZone

Thanks, I might do that.
Do you think the wifi thing is rubbish? I honestly dont get it. I check in the internet about something like that but never heard about a E-ink screen failure becuase different frequncey
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, I might do that.
Do you think the wifi thing is rubbish? I honestly dont get it. I check in the internet about something like that but never heard about a E-ink screen failure becuase different frequncey
I think it's very much rubish but I'm not an expert try do a little search. I'm willing to bet if you got another person on the line you would get another diagnosis.

Like I said before I can see it not recognizing a different signal but to brick it? Hmmm but if you are worried just leave the Wi Fi setting off.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
You could also try getting a Kindle, they work internationally, although I doubt the wifi ruined the e-ink screen on the nook....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote