Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
NYT: E-Readers Catch Younger Eyes and Go in Backpacks

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/bo...books.html?hpw
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
25% of young adult books, huh?
With more growth to come.
As expected, with lower ebook reader prices bringing them into reach of younger readers comes increased exposure. And with greater exposure, greater sales.
The comic book industry had better get its digital act in gear soon cause younger readers are now learning the joys of reading through prose, not comics, as in the old days.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The main subject's demographic (11) isn't covered in the Pew research cited in this thread. I'd like to see how the rest of their numbers would have broken out.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Maybe they'll be broken out if Pew repeats the survey. This NYT story says there seemed to be a surge in kids' ownership of e-readers because of the holidays just past. The Pew survey was done before the holidays, so such a stat would be outdated anyway.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
“Some weeks I completely forgot about TV,” said Eliana, 11. “I went two weeks with only watching one show, or no shows at all. I was just reading every day.”
This is certainly worth a cheer! We can only hope that this isn't just a 'new toy' effect and that it'll persist.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Go, young readers!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Uh, I read a not-insignificant number of YA books. I'm contributing to that number, but there are no "young adults" in my household.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know of at least three teenagers that got Kindles for Christmas. One has already been broken. Covers have been ordered to take care of the Kindles now.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

this is a nice thing to read about. I was one of two kids in my class from the 1st grade forward who LIVED for when the new Scholastic Books catalog arrived my my teacher's desk. I would order up to a couple dozen books and more when it got close to summer and I knew it would be a long time before I could get more. I spent "big bucks" as much as $5 or even $10 for the order, OK that dates me a bit, but I dunna care anymore. I've too old to care and I LIKE it!

I even remember one of the first books I ever read thanks to that catalog, Watership Down. I think I still have that copy somewhere in storage. Not bad for a kid in the 1st grade. Of course I only understood it was an adventure story about cute and fuzzy bunnies at the time.

So to learn that book reading devices, even a phone, are getting kids back into reading is really heart warming. As most here who are avid and life long reads know all to well, reading opens the universe to kids. It lets them know anything and everything is possible. I suspect for many it is the only way they can be exposed to new and thought provoking ideas. If the kids can then be induced to discuss what they read with parents and peers it can get even better. Sadly though so many parents don't read more than the daily horoscope before their daily dose of Cops, Judge (and I use the term loosely) Doily, err, Judy followed by Jerry Springer reruns. But if the kids can get their parents to just read the books the kids are reading it would also be a big stride forward and away from the anti-intellectual trend found in many parts of the population of the US where there exists an almost adversarial relationship between certain people and even the idea of learning.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
My seven year old boy loves to read and he wants to read on the iPad and mom's Kindle, but we're finding that many of the popular books he wants to read are not available in ebook format. I suppose there's still a gap in the available content for his age group.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote