Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
New Kindle coming....registration question

Bear with me, as this may be a little confusing.

After buying Kindles as gifts for others, I finally decided to take the plunge and order one for myself. It was supposed to come tomorrow, but after staring at the non-changing tracking information and calling Amazon, they confirmed that it never left the warehouse, is effectively lost, and are overnighting me another one (to arrive tomorrow).

On my Amazon account, both Kindles showed up under my "Manage My Kindle" page, but only the original (lost) one had the two welcome documents pending for delivery. The second Kindle did not list those documents as pending, nor have a Kindle email address associated with it.

Since the first Kindle is considered lost, what I did was deregister it, then assign its email to the Kindle that's being overnighted to me. But this still did not make the two welcome documents show up under the "delivery status" section.

There is no way from that screen to resend those documents, and I spoke to Amazon's Kindle support, and they had no clue how to do it either.

So does anyone know how to get those documents to my Kindle when it shows up tomorrow? Will they magically show up even though they're not showing as "pending"? Would the easiest thing to do be to simply deregister the second one as well, then manually register it when it shows up? By manually registering it, will it force the queuing and sending of the two welcome documents?

The two Kindles I bought as gifts were painless (I helped set both of them up), so it's just my luck that the one I bought for me would be such a burden!

Thanks in advance to everyone,

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I think it should appear if you unregister now and just register it when you receive the Kindle.

If its any consolation, you're not really missing anything if you don't have the welcome document.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
If its any consolation, you're not really missing anything if you don't have the welcome document.
Yeah, I know...just looking for the full experience, no matter how senseless it is.

I suspect that you're correct. Because if someone buys a used Kindle that was properly deregistered before being sold, the new owner would get those documents upon re-registering it, correct?

Come to think of it, one that I bought as a gift via Amazon.com I had to deregister from my account first, but I never thought to ask the person I gave it to if they got the two welcome documents when they re-registered it...

-HM
Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I suspect that you're correct. Because if someone buys a used Kindle that was properly deregistered before being sold, the new owner would get those documents upon re-registering it, correct?
Yes. If you're gifting a Kindle then you just purchase it and unregister it from the Manage Your Kindle page so they tap in their details when they receive it.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Really, the Welcome Letter is no big deal. It's one screen long.

The quick start guide, as well as the complete user guide, can be downloaded as a PDF from here. The complete user guide can also be sent to your Kindle or Kindle app.

IMO, the PDF guides are better, so you can have your Kindle in your hands to try things with while looking at the guide on a computer screen.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Hollow Man
Addict

Thanks...deregistering the Kindle that's on the way seems to be the best thing to do. I'll register it manually when it shows up at my door. An extra step, but not a big deal.

Flabbergasting that Kindle support couldn't have told me that.

If I recall there were two documents queued to be sent that disappeared. A Welcome letter and something else. Something about transferring files to the Kindle, I believe,

-HM
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Hollow Man
Addict

In another bit of amusement, it looks like the original one they said was lost is now in transit, and scheduled for delivery tomorrow as well. I guess tomorrow two will end up on my doorstep, I'll get my choice as to which one to register, and have to send the other back.

-HM
Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
eek! That's a little like choosing a favorite amongst your children and returning the rejects.

Enjoy your new Kindle. I'm not sure I ever even read the Welcome letter.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru

If you do get two Kindles and Amazon let you open both then you've got a few things to check to pick which one to keep. They'll probably be the same anyway considering they're most likely from the same batch.

See if the back plate is securely clicked in all the way around and it doesn't make a squeaking noise if you squeeze it.
Check that it doesn't rattle. I don't think any of the Kindles past the first batch did this but check anyway.
Check the buttons. Some people say that smooth textured buttons have issues with the silkscreening so the rougher texture ones are better. No idea if this is true or not but again, something to check.
Check the bezel for any cracks. People have mentioned that they've had very fine cracks appearing in the corners.
Check the screen itself for any blemishes.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Hollow Man
Addict

I probably won't read it either. It's just the nerd in me wanting to know why the second one was not set up to receive those docs. I suspect it's due to the auto-registration process attempting to create a second Kindle email address that was the same as the first, and failing. So instead it set it to "@Kindle.com", which is clearly wrong on many levels. I changed that to a real email address, but that wasn't enough to queue the documents.

Fascinating, I know!

-HM
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Hollow Man
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
If you do get two Kindles and Amazon let you open both then you've got a few things to check to pick which one to keep. They'll probably be the same anyway considering they're most likely from the same batch.
They're still under the impression that the first one is stuck in Lexington. Curiously, the second one is still listed as "shipping soon". They better get cracking if it's going to get here by tomorrow.

But I bet they will both show tomorrow, and I'll probably have to play eeny-meenie-miney-moe and pick only one to open, to not give them any excuses to charge me twice.

-HM
Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I probably won't read it either. ...
Yeah, it doesn't contain any important info, but receiving it is a good test that your Kindle is communicating properly with Amazon's servers.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
If they both come, I'd open them both for comparison just in case of a tiny difference in screen color you may prefer. You can still send one back and they won't charge you for it.

I don't know if I ever got a welcome doc or not. I don't remember reading anything. I think there was some kind of users guide on there that didn't really say anything useful. I learned all of my K3's features from the users here.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
Hollow Man
Addict

Even though I wouldn't mind comparing the two, I'd feel bad taking advantage of Amazon like that, considering they did quickly send out a second one after their staff mistakenly deemed the first one lost. Perhaps if there was a way to easily open and reseal the box, but sadly, I know the Kindle box can't be put back into "as new" shape.

But if for whatever reason the one I open has some terrible problem with it, you can bet I'll open the second one too.

-HM
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Yeah, I know...just looking for the full experience, no matter how senseless it is.
Allow me to oblige:

chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote