Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
PDF Opening, zooming, panning

Thanks everyone for all the great information here. This is one of the best and friendliest forums that I use.

I had a question about PDFs on the 300.

I saw the youtube video that showed zooming and panning on the 600. It was impressive how responsive that reader is. Is the 300 comparable? I don't do much reading on PDFs, but when I do on my 505, it is so slow to open and change pages that it really is unusable for me. How much faster is the 300?
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
nathany
Enthusiast
nathany doesn't litternathany doesn't litter

Device: Kobo h2o
Just picked up a 300. It doesn't have the zooming/panning feature. You can just increase the font-size, which strips out tables/images. You can also reorient the screen, which maintains the layout on size (S).

Though I haven't tried it, I think panning a PDF around on the 600 would be better, but still be less than ideal. So i saved my money, and am sticking to ePub books (O'Reilly and Pragmatic Programmers).
nathany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

That was exactly what I was wondering. Thanks. I rarely use PDF books, but I have two that I would to use the reader for. I should be getting my 600 on Thursday. I can't wait
Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Please report about your experience.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
sahmad88
Zealot

I sure will. I have a back to school event where I teach on Thursday. Bummer. That means I can't really play until Friday after work, but I will definitely let you know.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
sahmad88
Zealot

Well, I have my PRS600 and I love it. Unfortunately, the textbook part isn't that great. I am not sure what kind of PDF it is. The way the PDF was created, each section is a separate PDF file, so no file is larger than about seven pages.

It loads quickly at first and gives a readable but rough version. I need to give it a while before zooming and panning is somewhat smoother. Eventually it is OK. I can only imagine how much longer a larger PDF would take.

Luckily, this just would have been a nice bonus but is by no means a necessity for me. I love this reader and I have no regrets upgrading my 505 to the 600.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Luckily, this just would have been a nice bonus but is by no means a necessity for me. I love this reader and I have no regrets upgrading my 505 to the 600.
What are the main arguments for you to upgrade? No lengthy explanations needed - just curious why you think that the upgrade was worthwhile for reading e-books.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
sahmad88
Zealot

For just reading e-books, I like the built in dictionary and the speed of the page turns. When I went to the Sony store to look at the readers, I noticed the 600 seemed faster, but it didn't seem like it would make much of a difference. But now that I have it, I find that I am turning pages too soon, because I was used to my 505 where I had to hit the button early to be able to read on to the next page early. I am used to it now, but it really does make a difference on the 600.

I don't have to make annotations right now, but I like the idea that I can. There have been a few times in the past when I would have liked to been able to do it, and now I can.

Also, my husband works for Cisco, and through a program they had with Sony, I got $30 off the 600.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
drmaxx
Connoisseur

@sahmad88: Thanks for these insights. I was looking at the 600 for reading (mostly work related) PDFs. But it seems that I really need something with a substantially larger screen for this purpose. So, I turned away from the 600.

For reading e-books alone I am considering the good old 505 model. So, it is good to hear that the 600 does have some practical improvements that would justify the higher price.