Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
kindle book lending sites

I understand there are a lot of them, and basically the purpose is the same, but is there a "best" amongst them?

thinking of joining one
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They only work for people in the US. You don't live in the US, do you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They only work for people in the US. You don't live in the US, do you?
aw darn. well, hopefully they'll be available for international users soon

but i was informed that international users can borrow, just not lend. oh well.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
aw darn. well, hopefully they'll be available for international users soon

but i was informed that international users can borrow, just not lend. oh well.
In theory that's true, yes, but you can't really participate in a lending site if all you do is "take" and not "give", can you?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In theory that's true, yes, but you can't really participate in a lending site if all you do is "take" and not "give", can you?
certainly. i was just asking. :| you may close the thread now :| (and i know how it works, thank you very much)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
certainly. i was just asking. :| you may close the thread now :| (and i know how it works, thank you very much)
I don't think Harry was being mean about it, so I'm not sure you do understand. These lending sites are all based on a "share ratio" or credit system. If your "give" ratio drops too low, you will not be allowed to borrow any more until you raise it--which would be impossible for intn'l users, since you can't initiate a loan. You may not even be able to "accept" many loans, since geographic restrictions still apply.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't think Harry was being mean about it, so I'm not sure you do understand. These lending sites are all based on a "share ratio" or credit system. If your "give" ratio drops too low, you will not be allowed to borrow any more until you raise it--which would be impossible for intn'l users, since you can't initiate a loan. You may not even be able to "accept" many loans, since geographic restrictions still apply.
yeah, i read the help page back on lendle. sorry for the snarkiness. it's just that i am participating in a lending club on a group in GR, and there were all these people who were willing to lend even to people who couldn't reciprocate, so i just felt like a leech :|
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
it's just that i am participating in a lending club on a group in GR, and there were all these people who were willing to lend even to people who couldn't reciprocate, so i just felt like a leech
That's certainly a different situation. But, I don't know of any large (or popular) lending sites where a user's willingness to lend to someone (who couldn't reciprocate) could override the automatic credit system that's in place. They may exist, but if they're that informal... they're probably small and/or private.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
That's certainly a different situation. But, I don't know of any large (or popular) lending sites where a user's willingness to lend to someone (who couldn't reciprocate) could override the automatic credit system that's in place. They may exist, but if they're that informal... they're probably small and/or private.
yeah, i figured (the group i am in now is private) i sure hope the lending will be enabled for international users soon. it all looks like fun and would definitely encourage me to buy more!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If I have a book that is lendable you can borrow it... I dont know if we have the same taste in books but at worse case I dont have one you want and things stay as they are
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
I have explored them a little bit and yes, with some of them you can't even borrow a book without lending one in the first place.
I have been using booklending myself and have borrowed 5 books so far without any issues. I don't think there's any kind of ratio required AFAIK.

from the booklending FAQ:

Quote:
I live outside the US, can I still participate?

Yes you can! Users everywhere can borrow books with some restrictions but for now only users with US Amazon accounts can lend Kindle books. In cases where there are publishing restrictions related to geographic location, the borrower will receive a notification and the lender will receive the returned book . The lending rights are also returned to the lender automatically. (UK residents may not be able to borrow books using their UK registered accounts because they are redirected to Amazon.co.uk)
EDIT: I should probably clarify that I'm referring to http://www.booklending.com/ and not speaking generally.

Last edited by bZkindle; 04-01-2011 at 08:42 PM.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Someone gotta make an international version of booklending...
What do you mean by "an international version", Phillip?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Just wanted to say I love booklending.com.
I use them exclusively.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote