Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #136
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No SD card slot.
And only 500MB free for user content--the rest is for the OS and Nook-store books.
Regal waveform yes, Carta no.
Capacitance touch instead of neonode.

Even more locked down than ever.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ow/#more-59444

no micro sd card.

no buttons.

I WILL NOT BE BUYING.

DO YOU HEAR ME B & N?

stupid managers reducing the options just makes me mad.

if it had the above items i would have bought the new device but companies like b & n seem to be run by morons who keep shooting themselves in the foot.

over and over again.

they seem to live in cloud cuckoo land.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #137
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I was thinking about buying one this year. Now that they have removed the good parts I will not be buying.

Whoever designed that cover should be shot.
Reminds of the word Binatone.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #138
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
I want to buy a nook but B&N is making it tough!

After seeing this thread and viewing all the pics and you tube clips yesterday I was intrigued. Also, to be honest, I feel like a heel browsing through my local B&N and then going home to order Amazon or Kobo books.

So I stopped by my neighborhood store last night with my bank card on fire, ready to be a proud Nook owner.

But to my dismay, the store didn't have a clerk anywhere near the Nook display. I stayed there playing with it for a half hour and not a soul came to sell me. And this on the very day of the big announcement of a new, cool e-reader! I lost any confidence in B&N and any interest in the Nook.

Another e-book fanatic came in and after playing around with the second unit, he too left.

Now, I know this is just one store and a manager who didn't understand how critical it might have been to have a knowledgeable clerk working the display, but still...how am I supposed to react to their indifference?

I will be sticking with my Kindle and Kobo.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #139
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

After seeing this thread and viewing all the pics and you tube clips yesterday I was intrigued. Also, to be honest, I feel like a heel browsing through my local B&N and then going home to order Amazon or Kobo books.

So I stopped by my neighborhood store last night with my bank card on fire, ready to be a proud Nook owner.

But to my dismay, the store didn't have a clerk anywhere near the Nook display. I stayed there playing with it for a half hour and not a soul came to sell me. And this on the very day of the big announcement of a new, cool e-reader! I lost any confidence in B&N and any interest in the Nook.

Another e-book fanatic came in and after playing around with the second unit, he too left.

Now, I know this is just one store and a manager who didn't understand how critical it might have been to have a knowledgeable clerk working the display, but still...how am I supposed to react to their indifference?

I'm not a fan of the SimplyWhite, but I don't think your experience is a reason not to buy the Nook if you were interested in it otherwise. At least you were able to physically play with it in a store, which is more than you can say for Kindle or Kobo. Worst case scenario you'll be ordering online anyway, so what does it matter if you're ordering a Nook or a Kindle?

Maybe the clerks were all already busy with others. You don't know. On the whole, I've had great service at B&N. 4 out of 5 experiences were great.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #140
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
So I stopped by my neighborhood store last night with my bank card on fire, ready to be a proud Nook owner. But to my dismay, the store didn't have a clerk anywhere near the Nook display. I stayed there playing with it for a half hour and not a soul came to sell me. And this on the very day of the big announcement of a new, cool e-reader! I lost any confidence in B&N and any interest in the Nook.
I had the same experience. I went to the B&N near a large university campus. I too thought it was strange that they weren't staffing the Nook desk on release day. I had to go to the help desk in the center of the store to ask for someone to help me. Then the person who checked me out was unaware of the 10% member's discount that didn't initially come up on the computer. I pointed to the big banner advertisement hanging from the ceiling above his cash register to justify that it was a real deal.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #141
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I had the same experience. I went to the B&N near a large university campus. I too thought it was strange that they weren't staffing the Nook desk on release day. I had to go to the help desk in the center of the store to ask for someone to help me. Then the person who checked me out was unaware of the 10% member's discount that didn't initially come up on the computer. I pointed to the big banner advertisement hanging from the ceiling above his cash register to justify that it was a real deal.
Interesting that both Bookworm Girl and Desert Dog had this same experience...When ever I've gone into our local B&Ns there has always been clerks hovering around the nooks--if you simply look sideways at the display, they're on you asking you if they can help you.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #142
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
Ummm starting a paragraph with Ummm is kind of rude. Don't do it.
Uuuuhhhhummmm its rude to tell people how to behave online. Dont be so sensitive.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #143
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Not at any of my local B&Ns. They are all pretty much the same. I usually have to find someone to ask for help if I want something that's locked up. They used to be better manned back when the Nooks were newer. I thought they'd at least make a bigger deal out of it on launch day. I would expect it gets attention for holiday shopping.

They did have two of the new Nooks on display. One was under a hood so you could see how the Glowlight works.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #144
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My white readers still look like new. I haven't add any issues with the Nook HD. My black ereaders on the other hand show fingerprints easily which I find annoying. Therefore, I put a skin on my Kindle Paperwhite.
My Nook HD+ and HD have matte black and matte charcoal bezels respectively. They are impervious to fingerprints and I've never had to clean them once (so far). I have to clean the glass screens almost everyday.

I have a silver/white PRS-350. It has a very light colored soft touch back. When I first got it, I put it in a black leather case. Some of the dye from the case rubbed off onto the back of the reader. I could not get it off. I put a skin on both the front and back of the reader shortly thereafter.

So my experience has been the opposite of yours. White/light colors generally show stains and dirt easier than dark/black things.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #145
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
no micro sd card.

no buttons.

I WILL NOT BE BUYING.

DO YOU HEAR ME B & N?

stupid managers reducing the options just makes me mad.

if it had the above items i would have bought the new device but companies like b & n seem to be run by morons who keep shooting themselves in the foot.

over and over again.

they seem to live in cloud cuckoo land.
I must add.. buttons for turning pages etc on current up to date e-Ink reading devices are like 55 chevy's .. they are out of production..it's all going touch screen.. get over it..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #146
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought the new NOOK GloLight today.. in white of course. it's very nice. easy on the eyes.. but compared to the KPW2 the even lighting of the screen doesn't match up.. good, but not as good as the KPW2.. the KPW2 is (gooder) as my hick GrandPa would say...
Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #147
FanciFreez
Banned

Quote:

Yes, Barnes and Noble is in BIG trouble.. some of the personal are totally CLUELESS when you ask them a question about a NOOK device. they have weak management and employee training.. that is why Amazon is destroying them.. they need to get it RIGHT fast.. real FAST.. or they will be gone.. same with Best Buy..
Old 10-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #148
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Oh boy, what a horribly ugly reader! Do the people at B&N think it's still 2008? Say what you like about Kobo, they're the only reader company out there with a half decent sense of design.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #149
FanciFreez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Oh boy, what a horribly ugly reader! Do the people at B&N think it's still 2008? Say what you like about Kobo, they're the only reader company out there with a half decent sense of design.
Kobo.. huh.. nice e-reader, screen and sizes are nice, but their service and platform for the home page etc leaves a lot to be desired.. not even close to Kindle (Amazon).. I have the HD, but when I go to the home page, I think, what? get a engineer and some brains to design your system.. what a joke compared to Kindle..
Old 11-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #150
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My reaction when I first saw a white mobile device - ugly! Umpteen white devices later and my reaction is still - ugly! Some reactions never change
I realize you're kidding, but I hate describing devices (and people especially) as ugly because beauty is so subjective. I don't want to denounce whatever happens to leave my preferences unsatisfied.

Having shrieked that, I feel compelled to groan while rattling large chains that it's odd to own a white smartphone after decades of avoiding that color. I only chose white because the price was $100 cheaper for an unlocked S4 than every other vendor was offering.

I can see the aesthetic strengths of a white device, and realize that white, like black, is neutral. But given the choice, I'll always choose a black device over a white one.

The three iDevices I've ever owned were red and black (the 4G and the 5.5G iPods) and dark metallic orange and gold (my occasionally used iPod Classic). Even though those devices only came in white and silver originally, I managed to buy heavily discounted Colorware returns to avoid the sanitized anemia of white.

I'm also not a fan of light-colored bezels around screens. They often distract me from the text.

My white S4's the exception because nothing could distract from its screen: hallucinogenic colors swim in pure blackness like bioluminescent fish.

Even so, I don't own a single white case for my one white device.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-01-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote