Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #136
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
hi
Does it work on Aura H2O ?
and another Question: does this weather app show instead of Nickel or we have both by changing key ?
I have not tested it myself on the Aura H2O, but it should work. The weather app cannot run at the same time as Nickel, you have to stop Nickel to start the weather app.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #137
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur
Bob Brunius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW & Kobo H2O
Using the file in this thread I got the telnet and ftp connections going on my H2O. However, the ftp connection is terminated after about 2 minutes of inactivity. The wifi connection is terminated rather quickly too if I don't have the experimental browser loaded. Is there something I can do to extend the connection time?
Bob Brunius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #138
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brunius View Post
Using the file in this thread I got the telnet and ftp connections going on my H2O. However, the ftp connection is terminated after about 2 minutes of inactivity. The wifi connection is terminated rather quickly too if I don't have the experimental browser loaded. Is there something I can do to extend the connection time?
Have you killed the "nickel" process? If you don't I think it drops the wifi connection when idle.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #139
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Andy, I'll try killing the nickel process.

Do you know how to start and stop the web browser using the console terminal? Because it's full screen every time I do a revision to the the html file I have to use the power button to power down and then back up again and go through the menu to restart the browser.

I'm looking at the process list under "top" but I can't identify the process or name.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #140
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Andy,

Killing nickel also kills the web browser. The browser doesn't get a separate process id.
Advert
Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #141
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brunius View Post
Andy,

Killing nickel also kills the web browser. The browser doesn't get a separate process id.
I don't use the browser for my application so can't help I'm afraid. After a reboot I start the browser just to get the wifi connection up then I telnet in and kill nickel. My weather and calendar displays then run every hour under cron and update the screen from the python script.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #142
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

WEATHER APP ON H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
hi
Does it work on Aura H2O ?
and another Question: does this weather app show instead of Nickel or we have both by changing key ?
I just tried it on the H2O. It went as described on the OP but after it asked for my LAT and LON coordinates then it flipped the settings screen upside down and went away.

I had to restart the H2O and now when I run the command:

Code:
/mnt/onboard/.python/weather.sh
the weather screen does not come up but the stuff under the main menu shows up upside down. Inverted 180degs. The touch screen commands think the screen is still rightside up so you can't just turn it and use it. Powering of and back on restores the correct orientation. Something is wrong.

Last edited by Bob Brunius; 03-26-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #143
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

I thought the problem might be that the image file might have to be different for the H2O. But the write to /tmp/img.raw at line 31 in weather.py is not happening at all so something else is up.

Where does python leave its error logs?

Last edited by Bob Brunius; 03-26-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #144
jjmcousineau
jjmcousineau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi
Hello,

I just found this article, and I realise its quite old now but hopefully someone can help. I am getting a URL error, I am imaging that the weather service in the original is no longer around or something. Or maybe I am reading this wrong.

Either way here is the error and I would appreciate any help.

Code:
[root@(none) koboWeather]# /mnt/onboard/.python/weather.sh
Kobo Wifi weather forecast started.
Getting weather information . . .
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "weather.py", line 363, in <module>
    get_weather_data()
  File "weather.py", line 53, in get_weather_data
    weather_xml = urllib2.urlopen(weather_link)
  File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
  File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 394, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)
  File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 412, in _open
    '_open', req)
  File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 372, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1199, in http_open
    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
  File "/mnt/onboard/.python/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1174, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
jjmcousineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #145
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Look through this thread for some changes I posted that were needed due to changes in the website.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #146
jjmcousineau
jjmcousineau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi
That was it, thanks for the help! I may return for advice as I wish to modify some things but I will attempt to do it on my own first of course.
jjmcousineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #147
Ost_Jeanbruh
Ost_Jeanbruh began at the beginning.

can i go back to nickle and coolreader
Ost_Jeanbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #148
Khord
Khord began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Look through this thread for some changes I posted that were needed due to changes in the website.
Have there been further api changes since then? I tried your fixes (new api link and max / min temp) on page 9, and I still get the same error:

Code:
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
Any advice would be appreciated.
Khord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #149
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'll check into it later. Remember though I've never actually installed it on a Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #150
Khord
Khord began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'll check into it later. Remember though I've never actually installed it on a Kobo.
Ok, thanks in advance. I poked around a bit, and the API seems to get the XML output fine when testing it in a web browser:

Code:
http://api.worldweatheronline.com/free/v2/weather.ashx?q={0},{1}&format=xml&num_of_days=5&key=95f758b5c88e1b323c12bd1017202

I noticed maxtemp / mintemp appear to be maxtempF and mintempF, and I updated those in the .py file, but still the same error.

Last edited by Khord; 01-08-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Khord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacking, kobo wifi