Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So Are you going Digital Comics?

So it appears like Comixology is the best choice for buying and reading Comics on the fire, I especially Like the guided view it offers. I'm not greatly enamored with the orices set by the distributors, but if you wait a month they knock the price down by a buck, and comixology themselves often have good sales. The other nice thing is books I buy are available on the Ipad and the fire. my Only concern is if Comixology goes belly up so do your comics, what's your thoughts?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have a vast collection of my own comics in CBR/CBZ and PDF. I use the free app COMICAT. I also download off DCM (Digital Comic Museum). ComicsX has a fine collection of books but if you are not into buying them and just want to read the ones you have then it isn't what you need.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I'm in to reading comic too, but just like pagansoul, I read them in cbr/cbz so I use PerfectViewer. Available from the App Store for $3, or available as shareware from other Android app sites. I personally love it.

Last edited by weatherman; 12-01-2011 at 05:22 PM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Second the motion for Perfect Viewer. It is very intuitive and the bookshelf mode fits nicely into the Fire's motif.
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd like to get back in to comics, but everything is so expensive now. I grew up in the days when you could buy three or four issues for a buck. Now it's three or four buck per issues .... geez Louise...

How are comic book prices for electronic versions?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'd like to get back in to comics, but everything is so expensive now. I grew up in the days when you could buy three or four issues for a buck. Now it's three or four buck per issues .... geez Louise...

How are comic book prices for electronic versions?
I have no desire to read new comics. But digital scans of vintage comics are dirt cheap.

I bought nearly the entire collection of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" in CBZ/CBR format on DVD for $20.

Then there are the entire collection of Star Trek comics for under $20... that's over 500 issues.

I've purchased another half dozen series at about $10 for each series. I now have enough comics for the next 20 years.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Then there are the entire collection of Star Trek comics for under $20... that's over 500 issues.
I read the first few issues of the Star Trek comic Marvel released way back in the day, they were pretty awful. Seriously, a haunted house floating through space ... that's the story for this issue?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I have no desire to read new comics. But digital scans of vintage comics are dirt cheap.

I bought nearly the entire collection of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" in CBZ/CBR format on DVD for $20.

I've purchased another half dozen series at about $10 for each series. I now have enough comics for the next 20 years.
I don't know much about this whole cbr/cbz scene, but weren't those discs you bought probably just "stolen" copies that someone else downloaded from TPB? Or is there some legal source for these comics that I don't know about?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I buy my comics through Comixology. I hope they do a big partnership with the comic strip publishers as it'd be great to get all those in a digital format too.

As for them going belly up, I think they have less of a chance of doing so because they have the better exposure than the rest of the other companies. They are also the most used by the big indie publishers. Keep in mind - Who honestly doesn't want to be picked up by the distributor that's on the hottest selling tablet? I think they have LOADS of money swimming through.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I don't know much about this whole cbr/cbz scene, but weren't those discs you bought probably just "stolen" copies that someone else downloaded from TPB? Or is there some legal source for these comics that I don't know about?
I don't think there is. You could buy comics through the publishers website, but ya know....DRM is there. They don't just give you a PDF or CBR file.

Anyway, I love comixology. I downloaded it onto the fire, logged in & all my comics were available for me to download. Sweet.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
These are from legal sources that you don't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I read the first few issues of the Star Trek comic Marvel released way back in the day, they were pretty awful. Seriously, a haunted house floating through space ... that's the story for this issue?
There were a few clunkers for sure... but the older Gold Key comics were pretty solid IMO.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The First DC Run of Trek Comics are pretty darn good, especially those set in the mirror Universe. As for Prices they really are high, digital editions should be no more than a buck. But they cost the same as their print brethren. Great Monsters of Filmland I'd love to get a complete digital run of those, also I'd like have all the Starlog Magazines as well.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
The First DC Run of Trek Comics are pretty darn good, especially those set in the mirror Universe. As for Prices they really are high, digital editions should be no more than a buck. But they cost the same as their print brethren. Great Monsters of Filmland I'd love to get a complete digital run of those, also I'd like have all the Starlog Magazines as well.
Interesting tat you should mention Starlog. That is the next magazine on my list.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Back in the day, before ebook readers were common, you could buy an CDrom of comic collections of Fantastic Four, Marvel Greats, Star Trek, Archie and his Friends, Dark Shadows and even magazines like M.A.D. and Rolling Stone. You can still get them. Some are just for viewing on the PC but many are just CBR/CBZ or PDF files of scanned comics done by the publisher, not 'stolen copies'. You can still find the in electronics stores that have CDrom displays, Amazon and ebay. Most are done by GIT Corp.

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Comics-...R3J86VLTTACOV6

Also DCM is of old Public Domain comics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCM.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	79561  

Last edited by pagansoul; 12-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
carld
Wizard

After reading this thread I installed Comixology and read the first issue of The Walking Dead. It was pretty good, reminded me of the old days of B&W indie comics. I can't see paying $140 to $200 for the full run though.

Navigation was adequate, though I had to occasionally turn the KF from portrait to landscape and back again to better view the panels. Still, it was a fun reminder of back when I was really in to comics.

Last edited by carld; 12-02-2011 at 01:31 PM.