Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
lkkmaths
lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3; PRS-350
PRS-350 is so much sharper than 650

Get both 350 and 650. Love both.

While the choice of 5" vs 6" reader is a matter of personal preference, I definitely see that there is a huge difference between the fonts of the two readers.

350 is just so much sharper than 650!

Don't know why. Perhaps it's due to the higher dpi of 350, or that my 650 is faulty (highly unlikely).

Since the E-Ink provider can produce a higher dpi screen as in 350, it is a matter of time (6 months? a year?) that better screens will be used in the next generation readers.

The life-cycles of readers are just so short!
lkkmaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
Both the 350 and 650 have the same number of pixels on their screens. I believe it is 800x600.

So -- the 350 may appear sharper since the individual pixel are smaller.

On The Other Hand, ;o), the larger presentation of the 650's screen might work better for some folks. Kinda depends on eyesight.

I have both and understand your point of view, however, I prefer the 650 to the 350 and wish I'd bought the 950 instead.

BTW: My iTouch 4G is, by far, the sharpest, bestest ebook reader I own.
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
lkkmaths
lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3; PRS-350
I like to read with large font and 605 is my first Sony reader. I msut say it is a very good reader.

The only thing that I don't feel so good about 605 is the font. It is just not crisp and sharp enough, even after I russify it and can change fonts at will.

After getting hold of 305, I am stunned. I must say I am very happy with the fonts shown in the screen. It is just so much better! Of course now the downside is that the small screen cannot show many words on the screen, especially when you are used to the large fonts.

I just wonder when will we have the best of the two worlds - 6 or 7 inches screen with higher dpi. Seeing that the technology is already there, I think the time will not be too long.
lkkmaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkkmaths View Post
Of course now the downside is that the small screen cannot show many words on the screen, especially when you are used to the large fonts
That's why anything smaller than 6" is not an option for me.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkkmaths View Post
I just wonder when will we have the best of the two worlds - 6 or 7 inches screen with higher dpi. Seeing that the technology is already there, I think the time will not be too long.
I suspect that given the relatively small difference in size between 5" and 6" screens, any increase in dpi will be applied to both sizes, so the smaller screen will always appear sharper.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Absolutely. The PRS350 is a lot sharper than the 650 or the 950.

The PRS350 has a screen with 200dpi resolution and the PRS650 is only160dpi.
Considering that this dot pitch difference is roughly equivalent to the surface area differences, I would have expected the fonts on the 650 to use the same number of "dots" per character, and that the font sizes would be proportional to it's larger "dot" size. Instead, they tried to keep the font sizes the same (likely in order to take advantage of the potential to fit more text on the larger screen), and in so doing the resolution suffers on the PRS650.
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Even given the small screen the PRS-350 is an absolute joy to read on. I find my time going more and more to my PRS-350 over my Kobo Wifi (Sorry Kobo! What can I say).

I'm sure I end up turning the screen more often because I like the Medium setting (or Small with margins cut on some books basically resulting in Medium) but engrossed in a book I hardly notice.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Even given the small screen the PRS-350 is an absolute joy to read on. I find my time going more and more to my PRS-350 over my Kobo Wifi (Sorry Kobo! What can I say).

I'm sure I end up turning the screen more often because I like the Medium setting (or Small with margins cut on some books basically resulting in Medium) but engrossed in a book I hardly notice.
I love mine to bits and as I am able to read the XS font comfortably there is no excessive page turning for me, just as often as I had to turn pages with my former 6"er, too.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
200 PPI is very noticeable in side by side comparisons. This is actually what made me return my kindle and get the 350. I got the kindle not doing a single bit of research and kept looking at the font thinking I was going blind, only to realize it wasn't sharp at all. I then went to BB and compared all the readers and sure enough, every single one had the same problem except the 350.

Very happy I got the 350, I can actually read PDF's in landscape mode without zooming!!! Try doing that on a 6" screen and see what happens to the PDF. Even in portrait mode PDF's a readable on the 350, but it does start to show it's limitations. Now we just need 300 PPI!!!
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote