Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4
Using kindle while USB is plugged into computer

Hi guys, I finally received my first ebook, the Kindle 4. I plugged the USB cable into my computer to have it charge, and a screen comes up saying if I want to read/shop while it is being charged via usb, to keep the USB attached but eject Kindle from my computer. So I right-click on the bottom right corner and select "eject", but it is still stuck on the USB drive mode screen? Any idea how to fix this? Thank you!

Last edited by jermyzy; 10-15-2011 at 11:42 PM.
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The issue is with Windows, not with the Kindle. You should be able to eject it (and do try both the safely remove hardware and the basic eject) and use it while charging, but frankly it's not worth the bother.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi

Try going to Computer, right click you Kindle and choose safely eject
(can't remember exact words in windows 7)

Cheers, Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
Hi guys, I finally received my first ebook, the Kindle 4. I plugged the USB cable into my computer to have it charge, and a screen comes up saying if I want to read/shop while it is being charged via usb, to keep the USB attached but eject Kindle from my computer. So I right-click on the bottom right corner and select "eject", but it is still stuck on the USB drive mode screen? Any idea how to fix this? Thank you!
If your computer using Win7, eject from computer (above control panel in start menu).
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys, eject from Computer worked. Karma for all the replies
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Is it fully charged? I think you might have to fully charge it the first time in order for it to work properly.

But yeah, what you did should work - in XP, just right click on the little icon in the bottom right.

(Why they changed this in Win 7 is beyond me, so much handier in XP, but then again, that applies to most of the Win 7 US as far as I am concerned)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
jermyzy
Enthusiast

Oh...actually I have windows XP, not windows 7...for some reason right-click on the little icon on the bottom right doesn't work. but ejecting from computer works. Oh well, as long as I can eject, I'm a happy camper
Old 10-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

The right lower screen icon sometimes doesn't work in WinXP for some reason, and not just with the Kindle as it often fails to properly eject devices. Selecting your Kindle in the Computer panel or selecting the drive corresponding to your Kindle in Windows Explorer (file explorer) and right-clicking to choose Eject is the surest method.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
jermyzy
Enthusiast

Little OT, but didn't want to create a new thread for this question. With regards to battery charging, is it better to run the kindle to low battery before recharging, or charge it frequently (even if battery is say still 50%)?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I have XP and noticed I can't eject Kindle EVEN from computer panel as long as calibre is on. As soon as I turn calibre off it is possible again. And no, ńo jobs going on meanwhile.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Regarding the when to charge question, I don't know if Amazon has any specific recommendations on this, but I never let my battery run down, I usually charge it at about 2/3. But I'm paranoid about losing power or something and my Kindle not being charged
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If it's a new Kindle you should let it run down till you get the Charge message for at least the first 3 charges to calibrate the battery and get the most life from it. After that you can charge whenever.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
wuat
wuat began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can always get a USB adapter from something like an iPhone, and use it while plugged into an outlet instead of your computer.
wuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuat View Post
You can always get a USB adapter from something like an iPhone, and use it while plugged into an outlet instead of your computer.
That's usually what I do when I need to charge and read simultaneously.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Papi11on
Papi11on began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If it's a new Kindle you should let it run down till you get the Charge message for at least the first 3 charges to calibrate the battery and get the most life from it. After that you can charge whenever.

Thank you for this really helpful info.

As a newcomer to e-book reading and owner of the new Kindle 4, I was wondering how and when to recharge the battery.

Now I know!
Papi11on is offline   Reply With Quote