Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
folders' structure in the device

Hello,
in previous versions, for each book i sent to my device Calibre create its own folder in a "general" folder named "my ebooks".
but lately it started to save my ebooks directly in the root of my device memory. so now i have a part of them in the "my ebooks" folder and another part in the root.
is there a setting i can modify to save all my books in the general "my ebooks" folder?

thank you in advance

best regards
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I assume we are talking about your Boox? Go to preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins. Select the Boox plugin and press 'customize'. Put the folder/path where you want the books to end up into the 'Comma separated list of directories to send e-books to on the device' box. Make sure at least one of the folders on the list exists.

Alternatively, add 'my ebooks' to the save template. Something like
my ebooks/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
should work.

I am a bit confused, though. By default, the boox driver wants a folder called MyBooks. As far as I can tell, that default hasn't changed, although it has become customizable. Before, was it really using 'my ebooks', or was it perhaps using 'MyBooks'?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Hello Chaley,
thank you for your answer.
firstly of all, you are right, the folder is called "MyBooks" and not "my ebooks" as I've remembered. Sorry, my fault!
I've found the problem: the folder in the sd card of my boox is named "My Books" and not "MyBooks" as it should have been.
I've changed it manually and I hope Calibre could manage this change (it's synchronizing at the moment) otherwise i'll format the card and send the books again.

by the way, is there a way to add a file type to the plug in? with this firmware version, the boox can read .doc files and i'd like to add it to the file list.
how could i do?

thank you again!

best regards
Old 07-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandobras View Post
by the way, is there a way to add a file type to the plug in? with this firmware version, the boox can read .doc files and i'd like to add it to the file list.
how could i do?
I will make the change.
Quote:
thank you again!

best regards
You are very welcome.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
Brandobras
Zealot

Hello again,
unfortunately the problem isn't solved yet.
even if i changed the folder's name and the plug in is correctly set up, Calibre still saves the books in the main root of the sd card.
I've tried the second option (adding the folder in the save template in preferences) but this has not worked either...
any other pieces of advice?

thank you in advance

best regards
Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Calibre still saves the books in the main root of the sd card.
Ah... you are using a card. The driver does not use the list of subdirectories for the card. I will look at that.
Quote:
I've tried the second option (adding the folder in the save template in preferences) but this has not worked either...
This surprises me. It should work. Could you go to preferences -> plugins -> device interfaces -> Boox (not preferences -> add/save), copy what is in the save template box, and post it? That will help me understand what is happening.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Brandobras
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
This surprises me. It should work. Could you go to preferences -> plugins -> device interfaces -> Boox (not preferences -> add/save), copy what is in the save template box, and post it? That will help me understand what is happening.
Hello,
in save template box i have this:

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

and in the list of directories i have this:
MyBooks

best regards
Old 07-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Try putting

MyBooks/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

in the template, and making the list of directories empty.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
Brandobras
Zealot

now it works!

thank you very much!

now, as you are so kind, the last question: if I would like to have all my books in the root of my sd card, without any directories and separate covers, just the books, with the name: author - title, how should i set up Calibre?

many, many thanks!!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
now, as you are so kind, the last question: if I would like to have all my books in the root of my sd card, without any directories and separate covers, just the books, with the name: author - title, how should i set up Calibre?
Putting everything in the root directory might not lead to happiness.

Most SD cards come from the factory formatted with FAT. The problem is that FAT limits the number of items in the root directory to at most 512. If you use long file names (and everyone does), that number can drop to very small, as low as 64.

FAT32 doesn't have the limit, so if you want everything in the root, make sure your card is formatted with FAT32.

OK, that aside, to put everything in the root in the way you described, set the save path to

{authors} - {title}

No '/' characters anywhere. If you want the list sorted by author last name, then use {author_sort} instead of {authors}.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Brandobras
Zealot

thank you, i'll try and i'll tell you the results!

best regards
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
paolol
paolol began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Hello,
I have similar problems with my BeBooK Neo (= Onyx Boox 60) and made the same setup in the plug-in to send my books to the "MyBooks" directory again (they started to go on root, I didn't understand how).

The question is now on the oter way around: is there any way to tell calibre to scan my card starting from MyBooks and not from the root? I usually put on the root tmp directories with books or other docs that I don't want to handle with calibre (temporary stuff), but as soon as I connect the device calibre lists those books as on the card and not in the library. I would prefer to keep consistency only between the calibre library and the "MyBooks" sub-tree of the device.
paolol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolol View Post
Hello,
I have similar problems with my BeBooK Neo (= Onyx Boox 60) and made the same setup in the plug-in to send my books to the "MyBooks" directory again (they started to go on root, I didn't understand how).

The question is now on the oter way around: is there any way to tell calibre to scan my card starting from MyBooks and not from the root? I usually put on the root tmp directories with books or other docs that I don't want to handle with calibre (temporary stuff), but as soon as I connect the device calibre lists those books as on the card and not in the library. I would prefer to keep consistency only between the calibre library and the "MyBooks" sub-tree of the device.
Go to preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins and choose the BOOX driver (I hope that is what is being used for your device). You will see at the bottom a line saying 'Comma separated list of directories ...'. Put MyBooks into that box. That will tell calibre (or at least should tell calibre) to look only in that folder and subfolders for books.

Note that the setting does not affect how books are stored on the card. If you want a particular folder to be used on the card, then that folder will need to be in the save template, and that means that the folder will also be used for main memory. Result: you have one extra folder in the hierarchy for main memory, but that shouldn't break anything.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
paolol
paolol began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Yes. I do use the BOOX driver (BeBook Neo is same hardware as Boox 60 with "customized" firmware).

It seems that the value in the "comma separated list" is used only when reading/writing to the main memory, but doesn't work when the SD card is involved.

calibre gets the list of books on device scanning only the dir MyBooks on main (as I like), but scanning every directory on the card, no matter where it is.

Note that it's the same in writing, the value in the "comma" list is used writing to main memory, but to put my book on a directory the dir name must be in the template (in the row above the "comma" one), like you suggested in the previous post:
MyBooks/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
(the same if I put the template in the save parameter in preferences).

This is what happens on my BeBook Neo (fw version 1.4). I don't know if it works the same on Onyx, but I can guess so, since the Neo fw should be very similar to the Onyx one (just a rebranding and different links to web sites). May be someone can do the test on the Boox.

Any further suggestion?

ps: is there any way to use custom columns values in the save to device template?
something like:
MyBooks/{#myaddedcolumn}/{title} - {authors}
paolol is offline   Reply With Quote