Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #271
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
nope, i'd like you to answer the simple question that you keep dodging..
Old 05-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #272
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ok then. Your choice (unlike Flash on the iPad).

I'll continue to discuss Flash and Apple's business practices with the others.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #273
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ok then. Your choice (unlike Flash on the iPad).

I'll continue to discuss Flash and Apple's business practices with the others.
guess you admit then your technical comments don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #274
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So .... remember way back there where I was talking about iAds and Flash?

Here's a link for everyone's edification:

http://www.cultofmac.com/adobe-there...-revenue/28564

"Adobe: There’s No Flash on iPad Because Apple Is Protecting Content Revenue"

Here's a couple more:

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/24731/

http://social.venturebeat.com/2010/0...sh-apple-ipad/

Here's a link to an article on the BrightCove work:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032903442.html

Another possible alternative:
http://erictric.com/2010/04/13/flash...based-company/

Last edited by kennyc; 05-15-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #275
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
guess you admit then your technical comments don't have a leg to stand on.
Not in the least, but my statement stands.

On a more serious note, I'm really beginning to worry about Scotty....you seem so obsessed with this operating system thing. Are you seeing anyone about it?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #276
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Not in the least, but my statement stands.

On a more serious note, I'm really beginning to worry about Scotty....you seem so obsessed with this operating system thing. Are you seeing anyone about it?
hey, you're the one who says time and time again that the iphone/ipad doesn't have a real os. i think you don't understand that it runs unix and what unix is. I'm just trying to have a technical discussion on operating systems with you. maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

i want to discuss technology, operating systems.. and there you go with the personal attacks. really ought to practice what you preach there kenny.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-15-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #277
kennyc

Quote:
hey, you're the one who says time and time again that the iphone doesn't have a real os. i think you don't understand that it runs unix and what unix is. I'm just trying to have a technical discussion on operating systems with you. maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

i want to discuss technology, operating systems.. and there you go with the personal attacks. really ought to practice what you preach there kenny.

Hey we're not talking about phones or pods or pc's we're talking pads!

Sheesh..

Flash on iPads right?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #278
scottjl
Reader of Books

i corrected my post to add ipad, since they run the same OS.. that's operating system.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #279
kennyc

Quote:
i corrected my post to add ipad, since they run the same OS.. that's operating system.
Hee-Hee. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #280
scottjl
Reader of Books

capable of having a technical discussion on operating systems now..?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #281
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
"Adobe: There’s No Flash on iPad Because Apple Is Protecting Content Revenue"
Complete bollocks. From the article:

Quote:
But Ludwig notes that if Flash were available on the iPad, users could watch TV shows on Hulu for free instead of buying them through iTunes.
ABC has a free player. CBS will have free HTML 5 streaming later this year. The TV.com app does free streaming. Netflix does Watch Instantly streaming. Orb and Sling allow streaming of live TV. And that's just a handful of examples.

Not to mention that you couldn't watch Hulu even if the iPad had Flash, because Hulu blocks access to mobile devices. The upcoming Flash player for Android won't play Hulu either.

Seriously, that's one of the weakest arguments on the Flash debate I've ever seen.

As far as games go - I suppose for some casual games, people might use Flash rather than buying an app. Assuming that it was good experience, which remains to be seen. But there are no Flash alternatives - not even close - for a lot of the games in the app store, because the technical requirements are too demanding.

If Apple were really so concerned about protecting their content business, there would be no apps that allowed video streaming (bye, ABC player and Netflix), no apps that allowed audio streaming (see ya, Pandora and last.fm), and no other ebook reading apps (don't let the door hit you in the ass, Kindle and Kobo).

Apple cares about selling hardware. Music, books and movies are a means to an end for them, not a revenue source that they're interested in protecting at all costs.

And I'm still trying to figure out what this, or any of your other links, have to do with iAds (which wasn't even a gleam in Jobs' beady little eyes when the original iPhone was released sans Flash).
Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #282
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dear MobileRead Members:

I'm closing this thread temporarily while we Moderators discuss probable action.

There is a constant barrage of attack/counter-attack between (primarily) two individuals and this can no longer be tolerated here at MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Closed Thread