Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Why does Digital Editions mess with my non-PDF, non-ePub files?

So here's what happens. I recently purchased the Penguin special digital edition of Pride and Prejudice (P&P) which I transferred to my reader using Sony's library software. Every time I use Digital Editions to transfer an ePub or PDF file to my Sony, DE messes with the P&P file (LRX format) so that it is no longer readable. (Yes, this has happened repeatedly.) When I then open calibre and plug in my reader, the unreadable P&P file vanishes from my reader (which is logical). DE also seems to have a different way of reading metadata, because it changes the title of the P&P file on my reader. In another case, DE changed the correction I made to the author name on another LRF file using calibre. I have many other LRF and a few LRX files on my reader, and those are not affected.

Why does DE even mess with my non-PDF, non-ePub files? I don't have these problems with the Sony software or with calibre. Can Adobe be more annoying?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can't tell you why this is happening but I can tell you that for consistency reasons I use the Sony Library software to transfer every book to my reader so I don't use DE to transfer downloaded books to my reader.

When I download a book from DE it puts the file in the "My Digital Editions" folder. I then open up the Sony Library software and transfer the book file to my Sony by dragging it from Windows Explorer into the library software. Perhaps the same would work if Calibre was used instead of the Sony software.

This doesn't resolve your problem but it's worth a try as a workaround.

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
Can't tell you why this is happening but I can tell you that for consistency reasons I use the Sony Library software to transfer every book to my reader so I don't use DE to transfer downloaded books to my reader.

When I download a book from DE it puts the file in the "My Digital Editions" folder. I then open up the Sony Library software and transfer the book file to my Sony by dragging it from Windows Explorer into the library software. Perhaps the same would work if Calibre was used instead of the Sony software.

This doesn't resolve your problem but it's worth a try as a workaround.

Cheers,
Terry.
Hey, I'll try that, thanks! I didn't know the Sony software can transfer my ePub/PDF files--I thought I needed DE for that. If I get this to work, then I'd be done with DE. Woohoo!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Hey, I'll try that, thanks! I didn't know the Sony software can transfer my ePub/PDF files--I thought I needed DE for that. If I get this to work, then I'd be done with DE. Woohoo!
You'll obviously still need DE to download the files to your PC so you won't be completely done with it.

As a side issue - you don't even need to add the DE books to the Sony program's library if you don't want to, you can just drag directly from Windows Explorer onto the reader icon in the Sony program and it copies it directly to the reader.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote