Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #151
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
A lot of time available or really fast reader?

Before my son I was a book a day person. Now I'm lucky to finish a book in a week.
If you can listen to the books like on the Kindle's text to speech you may be able to speed up your reading a bit. Or you could try fitting in some time to read when he's napping (depending on how little he is now). That's how J.K.Rowling wrote her 1st HP book. She'd wait for her daughter to go to sleep and then write so I imagine a person could do the same while reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #152
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I don't buy quite as much as some of you - but I still do have a problem. Why do I need to download and catalogue every bloody freebie that comes along when I'll never get around to reading it anyway?

I am Caleb and I have a problem.
Hey, I'm not alone here

Quote:
My other problem is that I insist on cataloguing everything in Calibre including having two formats - mobi and epub (will break DRM if it exists). I'm not sure why I must have an epub of everything as I don't use any ereaders that use epub (Kindle and Kindle app). It's a compulsion I can't fight.
Don't feel alone! I keep three formats (mobi, lit and ePub), and now I only have ePub ereaders
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #153
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't buy quite as much as some of you - but I still do have a problem. Why do I need to download and catalogue every bloody freebie that comes along when I'll never get around to reading it anyway?

I am Caleb and I have a problem.

I've tried to stop looking out for freebies now and only respond to some of the more obvious giveaways.

I have less problems with purchasing books and I have extensive wish lists at Smashwords, Amazon and Baen. But I certainly struggle with freebies, especially if it's a limited time offer.
I have a similar problem in that I often check for freebees. Of course I not only get those at Amazon but often check the Mobipocket format books here at MR. I don't usually catalog them though aside from putting books by the same author in folders so I know they're by the same author. I thought I'd not bought a book for over a month but found I had bought at least one. "The Harvard Classic Shelf of Fiction" over at Amazon for $2.99 (I stick mostly to the free stuff). Even the free books add up after a while though. Eventually I'll have enough free books from MR and SmashWords to fill a CD disk.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #154
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try DVDs full... but I don't have a problem... just don't come between me and my books

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Eventually I'll have enough free books from MR and SmashWords to fill a CD disk.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #155
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Hey fellow addicts. Yesterday... yesterday I encountered a problem. Or rather, I discovered my problem is larger than I thought. I didn't purchase, so I guess that's good. But apparently some time ago, I had a bunch of ebooks that needed work. They had coding/header problems and wouldn't convert, among other things. I had gotten them back before I became a full-fledged calibre geek, and I had basically stuck them in a folder to fix later.

Well, some time passed and I forgot about them. I found them yesterday. All 170 of them. Now that I've been using calibre for a while, it took me all of a few minutes to fix the problems and then I was able to convert them to mobi. I then spent the rest of the afternoon fixing the metadata and covers, tagging them, putting some of them on lists, then sideloading them to the Kindle.

Some of them were freebies, others were super-cheap bargains, others I don't even remember where they came from. All I know is that I now have 170 more books than I thought I did. That's over a year's worth of reading material. I now have 1200 books on my Kindle, and 1334 in my calibre library.

Back when I first got my Kindle, I jokingly said, "God as my witness, I'll never go without books again..." and I think a part of me didn't realize I was joking and is preparing for the ebookalypse.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #156
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
preparing for the ebookalypse.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #157
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
It keeps me off the streets, there you have it, my ebook problem is justified.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #158
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It has now been a whole week since I last bought an ebook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #159
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It has now been a whole week since I last bought an ebook.
Bragger!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #160
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I bought a Samsung E60 the excuse was that the Sony 600 is hard to read in some types of light and the battery life is appalling. At least its better than getting a new Ipad2 .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #161
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
It keeps me off the streets, there you have it, my ebook problem is justified.
This cracked me up, so I'm taking the opportunity to (a) say so and (b) fangurl all over your avatar. KITTEH!!

I'm not sure how to describe this weekend. In the "Bad Ana" column goes the fact that I spent all my B&N gift card this weekend. (Although, to be fair, almost everything I bought was something I have in paperback and can therefore now get rid of. That doesn't count, right?????)

In the "Obsessive Ana" column goes the fact that I spent many hours this weekend using the improved metadata import function in Calibre to get ISBNs for all my ebooks so that I can then put them in my GoodReads to-read list. Which is purely eye candy, so I'm not sure why I spent hours and hours on it, but there you have it.

In the "Good Ana" column, I finished and reviewed three ebooks. So there's that.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #162
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm not sure how to describe this weekend. In the "Bad Ana" column goes the fact that I spent all my B&N gift card this weekend. (Although, to be fair, almost everything I bought was something I have in paperback and can therefore now get rid of. That doesn't count, right?????)
So buying something more than once is better than buying something only once?

Interesting logic...

CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #163
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
So buying something more than once is better than buying something only once?

Interesting logic...

Alas, if it clears out some of our house, it is TOTALLY WORTH IT.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #164
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Try DVDs full... but I don't have a problem... just don't come between me and my books
Actually I do have a DVD that's mostly full of MR mobipocket books. lol. I love PD books and MR has the best what with the cover images and the working TOC's. They're better than the Kindle formatted books at Gutenberg and easier of access than the Classic books through Amazon as well.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #165
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
This cracked me up, so I'm taking the opportunity to (a) say so and (b) fangurl all over your avatar. KITTEH!!

In the "Obsessive Ana" column goes the fact that I spent many hours this weekend using the improved metadata import function in Calibre to get ISBNs for all my ebooks so that I can then put them in my GoodReads to-read list. Which is purely eye candy, so I'm not sure why I spent hours and hours on it, but there you have it.

In the "Good Ana" column, I finished and reviewed three ebooks. So there's that.
Makes sense to me. Not every book is of equal importance as far as having them in pbook format, and less pbooks means more free space. Some I will keep even if I get ebook versions. Like my books by Nancy Kopp for example. All 5 have autographs to me from the author so I'm not going to be getting rid of them any time soon.