Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Are eReader Books Welcome?

I've been using eReader with my PC and PDA and I like it very much. It's flexible in that I can read the same book on either device, but I couldn't find any books formatted for eReader on MobileRead.

Is that a coincidence or is there a rule about what formats MobileRead allows? If eReader format is welcome, how can I share eReader formatted PG books here?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Put them in the "other books" forum, with PDB in the title. There are two eReader books there already (search the "other books" forum for PDB).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please put "eReader" in the description, not "PDB". "PDB" is not an eBook format; it's merely the name of a "wrapper" which can contain data in ANY format - rather like a ZIP file can. "eReader" is the book format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please put "eReader" in the description, not "PDB". "PDB" is not an eBook format; it's merely the name of a "wrapper" which can contain data in ANY format - rather like a ZIP file can. "eReader" is the book format.
But, eReader takes up more space in the topic and the files will most likely have a PDB extension anyway.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is that you could have other formats in a PDB file - eg PalmDoc. Saying "PDB" is no help whatsoever in knowing what format the book is actually in.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggested PDB because there are 2 eReader books named that way already. Only one of them has eReader in the body of the post, so the other is missed by a search for eReader.

I guess eReader is the best name for the format, or eReader PDB if an even longer name is ok.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The problem is that you could have other formats in a PDB file - eg PalmDoc. Saying "PDB" is no help whatsoever in knowing what format the book is actually in.
check the wiki for PDB and you will find a table of all the possible values of file types for Palm eBooks.

I suggest PNPd for the file type since that is what it really is. (The first 4 characters in the file attribute list, the second 4 are the application)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, eReader takes up more space in the topic and the files will most likely have a PDB extension anyway.
So will Palm "doc" files, zTXT files, iSilo files, TomeRaider files and Plucker files, among others. All PDB tells you is that it's for Palm OS. It doesn't tell you what is required to view it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suggest PNPd for the file type since that is what it really is.
The only problem there, DaleDe, is that the other 99.7% of us who have no idea what "PNPd" is would miss it entirely.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The only problem there, DaleDe, is that the other 99.7% of us who have no idea what "PNPd" is would miss it entirely.
Time to learn. A sticky in the misc group could teach this valuable data and Palm users need to know this anyway. If you see something you don't know it is time to look it up.

Dale
Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, I don't disagree on the principle, DaleDe. I'm just thinking that the average Joe, looking for eReader books would search for eReader rather than the PNPd format and would think we didn't have any books in that format at all ... rather than the 3 we do have.

Sometimes you have to use the language of the people you're talking to or they just won't understand what you're saying. That's all I meant.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Time to learn. A sticky in the misc group could teach this valuable data and Palm users need to know this anyway. If you see something you don't know it is time to look it up.

Dale
PNPd is the Type field. Folks will do better with the Creator ID, PPrs (Peanut Press, creators of the PML format).
______
Dennis
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
PNPd is the Type field. Folks will do better with the Creator ID, PPrs (Peanut Press, creators of the PML format).
______
Dennis
Sure I am ok with that although the type field is the correct one to identify the type of the file which is what we want. PML would also be a good choice, by the way, but would only solve the problem for this one file type. I think we need a standard for all Palm types with the anticipation that others will be added at some point. Picking the application field could also be the standard if everyone agrees. On a Palm this is used to define the application that will be used to process the file when it is tapped. PNPd by the way is PeaNut Press data.

Dale
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Sure I am ok with that although the type field is the correct one to identify the type of the file which is what we want. PML would also be a good choice, by the way, but would only solve the problem for this one file type. I think we need a standard for all Palm types with the anticipation that others will be added at some point. Picking the application field could also be the standard if everyone agrees. On a Palm this is used to define the application that will be used to process the file when it is tapped. PNPd by the way is PeaNut Press data.

Dale
Six of one...

But I fear we pretty much have to indicate the application that will display the file in the subject header of the post for stuff like this. It would be nice if everyone did look up the code in the wiki, but I don't assume that will happen.

If Fictionwise gets smart and releases the eReader creator application as freeware, like Amazon did with MobiPocket Creator, we may see enough eReader submissions to justify a seperate area.

For that matter, I have 3,000+ books I converted to Plucker format. I could populate an area devoted to those by myself...
______
Dennis
Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, I'm going to make an "executive decision" here, temporarily putting on my hat as the moderator of the book upload forums - we'll use "eReader".

Dale - you're absolutely right about the utility of the creator types, but unfortunately those aren't known by most people. We have go with with what people are going to look for, which is "eReader".