Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
Frustrated with my new Edge

I am having several problems with my new unit. Please note that I have updated to the newest software version. The problems are as follows:

First, as I am plugging the charger into the wall I notice sparking at the plug/wall socket before the plug sets in. This happens at whatever wall outlet I use. I do not think that this is normal.

Second, I set the LCD screen to power down after one minute which it does successfully. However, after a few minutes (time varies) the LCD side powers back up and then after a minute powers down.

Third, my page turns for pdf files (regardless of size) is on the order of 3-5 seconds. Is this normal?

Fourth, for no apparent reason my WiFi will disconnect regardless of distance to the router for no apparent reason and not reconnect until several power downs.

Fifth, upon unplugging the charger from the wall and unit, the LED light on the charger remains lit for about 30 seconds. Is this normal?

Sixth, for no apparent reason the unit will temporarily (for 10-15 seconds) lock up with no response to touching the LCD screen by finger or pen.

I submitted a trouble ticket to tech support and depending upon their answers, I may have to return the unit as I am a bit disappointed at the problems listed. I just may decide that I do not want to keep the unit but wait for generation two or pursue a similar product.

Aleks
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles. I have had my problems with the power plug staying in but never sparking from the wall plug. I have seen problems with the WiFi disconnecting when I first picked up the unit but I could always fix the problem by turning off and on the WiFi switch and maybe following up by disabling and renabling the software WiFi in the Edge Settings.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Slow PDF turns are not normal but possibly you can send one of your documents to tech support.

Don't know about the spark issue. Do you plug it into the wall first and then the device or is it plugged into the device and then the wall. Reason I say this is sometimes some of my laptop adapters do that if they are plugged into the laptop and then the wall. Don't know why.

I would see if they are willing to ship you a new one. Seems like they have done that for others.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
aleks
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
I have seen problems with the WiFi disconnecting when I first picked up the unit but I could always fix the problem by turning off and on the WiFi switch and maybe following up by disabling and renabling the software WiFi in the Edge Settings.
I had to fiddle with it for about five minutes before i got the WiFi back on using the switch and settings. I figure that I should not have to do that with a new unit.

Aleks
Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
aleks
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
Don't know about the spark issue. Do you plug it into the wall first and then the device or is it plugged into the device and then the wall. Reason I say this is sometimes some of my laptop adapters do that if they are plugged into the laptop and then the wall. Don't know why.
I plug the charger into the wall first.

Aleks
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Noticed yesterday that the iPad was having problems with its WiFi connection probably due to the presence of multiple 802.11 connection standards supported on the router. My router does B, G, and N and I haven't seen problems but maybe... It wouldn't hurt to disable all but the highest standard on the router. Just a thought.

I definitely would be asking for a replacement charger.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I think something may be wrong with your eDGe but you may send the problematic documents to company for testing and decide replacement or return.

Since I got my eDGe, I have tested various types of PDF documents. Actually, I have been testing all types of PDFs rather than reading them!. Anyway, page turns in 1~2 seconds in almost all cases regardless of PDF types (e.g. PDF created from LaTeX or PDF journals scanned by JSTOR) or PDF location (library or SD card). It slows down quite a lot when the annotator mode is on, but if I turn it off, the page turn goes back to 1~2 seconds.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Your fifth issue is perfectly normal.
But if I were you I would return the unit and demand a replacement.
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Your fifth issue is perfectly normal.
But if I were you I would return the unit and demand a replacement.
Agreed. I've experienced none of those problems, which would lead me to believe that there might be one larger problem with your unit itself.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote