Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Conversion from epub to azw3

Hello,
Up until now, I read on my Sony and my Kindle. But I like my Kindle much more. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Sony and read on the Kindle full-time.
Dutch e-books are always in epub-format, so I will keep buying a lot of epubs. What can I expect when I just convert everything to Azw3? Are those conversions always smooth. Will I always get nice readable azw3-books? In other words:Is it safe for me to get rid of the Sony? Thank you.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
You can use Calibre to convert but only if the books are DRM free and if they came from a store or public library they will be DRM Locked.
It is possible to remove DRM but it breaks the Law.
See Aprentice Alf's Blog for details
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillganon View Post
You can use Calibre to convert but only if the books are DRM free and if they came from a store or public library they will be DRM Locked.
It is possible to remove DRM but it breaks the Law.
See Aprentice Alf's Blog for details
Thanks for replying Skillganon, but I know about aprentice alf. I un-drm all my books and I have converted several books from epub to azw3 with succes.
What I now want to know, from people who converted lots of ebooks: will it be a succes every time? Or have I've been lucky so far? I'm sorry if I haven't been more clear before.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For the vast majority of books it'll be a success. Some ePubs with special formatting might not transfer as well (e.g. fixed layout ePubs.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Will I always get nice readable azw3-books? In other words:Is it safe for me to get rid of the Sony? Thank you.
I asked a similar question in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199680 and Kovid suggested downloading the Kindle Previewer from Amazon to test ePub to azw3 conversions. It was a big download but well worth the effort. The ePubs that I converted to azw3 came out nigh on perfect and I have since bought a Kindle Paperwhite.

Last edited by Agama; 01-01-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Joy736
Addict

Thanks Pdurrant and Agama! This is much appreciated! Sound like it is save to get rid of the Sony. As I said, so far I like the convertions and hopefully Amazon is finaly coming to the Netherlands this year.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Personally I'd keep both. I don't suppose a second-hand reader is worth very much and you could always use the Sony for work, travel, lending to a friend, etc. where a reader may be more likely to get damaged.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Joy736
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Personally I'd keep both. I don't suppose a second-hand reader is worth very much and you could always use the Sony for work, travel, lending to a friend, etc. where a reader may be more likely to get damaged.
You're probably right. A back-up (travel) reader wouldn't hurt. I'm going to think about it some more. Maybe I'll sell my Sony when the Paperwhite (or Paperwhite2?) comes to the Netherlands. Anyway, I'm going to fully enjoy my kindle in the meantime!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've converted hundreds of books from ePub to AZWs. The results have almost all been excellent, and in those rare cases where the default conversion options don't produce a good result, it's easy to put it right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Joy736
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've converted hundreds of books from ePub to AZWs. The results have almost all been excellent, and in those rare cases where the default conversion options don't produce a good result, it's easy to put it right.
Thank you too Harry! I just want to keep reading on my kindle, because I like the reading-experience much better: the Kindle-font, the slightly broader screen and better contrast (according to my eyes). And I like the Kindle-store very much.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I went the other way - FROM kindle TO Sony - because I was fed up with the extra tweaking needed to get chapters to work properly on Kindle i.e. to get the prev/ next chapter arrow keys to work.

Even in the mobi format books that Amazon sell / give way themselves, chapter navigation was often broken. Maybe the newer Kindles are more tolerant but on the K3 you had to ensure that all chapter starts had <h2> tags, and in many epubs that is not the case.

but if you don't need / use chapter skip and don't mind losing features like drop caps or fractional 1.5em indents, or left margin controls, or background shading then yes, go from epub to amazon formats.

PS maybe some of that stuff which was NOT in mobi, IS supported now in azw.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
and don't mind losing features like drop caps or fractional 1.5em indents, or left margin controls, or background shading then yes, go from epub to amazon formats.

The OP talked about going to azw3, i.e. KF8, which does include all those features.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
but if you don't need / use chapter skip and don't mind losing features like drop caps or fractional 1.5em indents, or left margin controls, or background shading then yes, go from epub to amazon formats.

That's why we're talking about AZW3 - the new Amazon "KF8" format - not Mobi. KF8 supports all the features that ePub does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote