Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
MRMcGuire
MRMcGuire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Reader constantly losing history, bookmarks, and continue reading marker

A most frustrating issue I'm having with the reader is that whenever I add and delete eBooks to the internal memory the reader seems to erase all markers and history data for all the books. This happens repeatedly--but not on every occasion--when I delete an eBook and replace or add new eBooks. Does anyone understand how to retain the information, back it up, or otherwise avoid the problem? I'm tired of forward clicking 150 times to get to a page I left off reading at. (As fate would have it, I'm about halfway between two of the buttons until I get some more reading in....)
MRMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Whoa. Something's not right, 'cause that shouldn't be happening to you.

It ought to just retain everything automatically. I've seen that sort of thing with files on an MMC card (which aren't officially supported) when I pull/replace 'em, but the internal memory? No, that's just not right.

The only thing I can suggest (other than contacting Sony -- [shudder]), is a Hard Reset, it might shake it out of whatever's going on....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I don't have a solution but have a hint: if you hold down the "next page" button for several seconds, it jumps 10 pages instead of one. Also, use numbered buttons to jump to the start, 20%, 30% ... end of the book.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
All that stuff is in the cache.xml file. It should be retained. On the SD card I've been using it's got details on every book I read, including bookmarks that aren't even valid anymore. There's no reason that should vanish.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
MRMcGuire

Thanks, I didn't think to do that. I'll give it a try.
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
MRMcGuire

Neat trick. That will help me hold on to my temper at least. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
MRMcGuire

That was what I thought as well--assuming it's the cache in my case. I have an SD card in the reader, but I haven't been storing any books on it yet; all my ebooks are currently on the reader itself. All I can think of (barring the suggested hard reset) is that it must be rebuilding the cache (or something) whenever I delete and replace books. Something empties the history files and bookmarks. It hasn't lost any data when I don't change any of the files. I'll try SONY support, but my last go around with them regarding the Connect store snafus took 3 weeks....
Old 11-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Report back when you can!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
bgt
bgt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
That just happened to me last night! It's the only time it's happened so far. I transferred about 7 new books to the Reader (not SD) and I noticed the problem a little while later, when every book I went into needed to re-format. It also lost all prior bookmarks and collections. Then, later (today) after about 10 minutes of use the screen went blank, I hit the power button and it re-started. So I'm pretty sure there was some software issue going on.

One thing to add to the litany of irritating things about the Connect software: I didn't want to have to wait for formatting on the Reader on every book I have on there, so I figured if I just re-copied all the books into the Reader with Connect, it'd update the formatting and I'd be good to go. Nope. Have to delete them from the Reader first and then re-copy (irritating because not all books on my reader are still in my Connect Library, so I have to individually figure out which ones I can safely delete from the Reader before re-copying). Might also be nice to have a function on the Reader to format everything that doesn't yet have formatting info for any of the 3 font sizes. And while we're here, might as well also add some bookmark (etc) synching so when something goes wrong and I lose all my bookmarks on the Reader they will still be stored on my PC and I can just upload them back. <sigh>
bgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
MRMcGuire

The issue seems to be systemic to the reader, but I haven't been able to find the root cause condition(s). Sometimes if I delete and replace the same book (I've been converting some gutenberg texts to PDF with restored illustrations), the issue doesn't occur, but othertimes when I add new books the reader deletes all the history, etc. data. Keeping track of where I leave off reading is getting to be annoying. I'm hoping SONY will issue a firmware/unit software update that will fix a lot of these teething issues....
Old 11-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't remember, have you talked to the support folks? That seems more like a problem with the unit, than something generally wrong with design (since it doesn't seem to be happening to everyone) ....
Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
atreis
atreis began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Or caused by an unusual usage pattern.... If that's the case they wouldn't know they have a bug unless they test that usage pattern or are told about it.
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
MRMcGuire

No, I haven't talked to them yet. I wanted to focus down a bit more on the root cause so I can repeat it at will. Right now it happens about 2/3 of the time when I'm doing delete/replace/add new content. Having dealt with tech support folks far too often, it's best to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Amen to that.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
nevsf
nevsf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
I'm also losing history, bookmarks, and continue reading marker

I'm mostly using the SD card for storage, but other than that I'm having the same problem with disappearing history, bookmarks, and continue reading markers. They seem to disappear after adding new books using the CONNECT software.

I don't know the steps that cause it, but it happens with annoying frequency.
nevsf is offline   Reply With Quote