View Poll Results: Format: How important is knowing the format before purchase
not important, don't care 7 4.07%
good to know, but not necessary 15 8.72%
absolutely important, want to know 150 87.21%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #16
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
It is simple really, if they do not show a list of devices a book can be read on then it is a PDF. Likewise if the book cover is only a black silhouette of a book, it is a PDF.
No devices in the "Read me on" list seems to works to identify PDFs, but the black book cover is not so helpful because epub books can have the black cover too.

E.g. this book has the black cover, but it is an epub: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-NZ/ebook/the-space-pirate
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I assume everything I buy at Kobo is available in epub. I try to remember to look to make sure it says available for e-reader. If I purchased it and it wasn't an epub, I would expect a refund. If I didn't get a refund promptly, I would dispute the charge (with my credit card company).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #18
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
As far as in informed you ony get KEPUB if you donwload the book for your Kobo device. But you can download every KEPUB-Book with ADETPT-DRM through the web shop and your pc.

The really problem is PDF. This format is not acceptable for most ebook, and you can't read nice on an small device. Also if there is LiveCylce-DRM on the PDF, you even cannot read it on your e-ink device or tablet (Android & iOS).
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
As far as in informed you ony get KEPUB if you donwload the book for your Kobo device. But you can download every KEPUB-Book with ADETPT-DRM through the web shop and your pc.

The really problem is PDF. This format is not acceptable for most ebook, and you can't read nice on an small device. Also if there is LiveCylce-DRM on the PDF, you even cannot read it on your e-ink device or tablet (Android & iOS).
Samy i bought an O'Reilly published ebook from Kobo on Sunday from the Kobo website and I got no choice as to format , nor did I know prior to purchase that I was buying a kepub only book.

Sunday was the first day that i used the new look Kobo website here in Aus.

Kepubs can not be reformatted to epubs unless they are DRM free.

So no, I can't agree with you.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
So do Kobo provide a legend for their symbols? I could not find it anywhere, but do welcome any pointers.
For me it's written under the symbol: computer, ereader, android, tablet, ios and Blackberry.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
As far as in informed you ony get KEPUB if you donwload the book for your Kobo device.
Correct, to a Kobo device or app.

Quote:
But you can download every KEPUB-Book with ADETPT-DRM through the web shop and your pc.
Not true. They are fairly rare, but there are kePub books that do not offer an ePub download.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
It is simple really, if they do not show a list of devices a book can be read on then it is a PDF. Likewise if the book cover is only a black silhouette of a book, it is a PDF.
The first might be true, but the second is not, some ePub's show the same black silhouette.

Quote:
For those of you that complain about them not specifiying whether a book is an epub or a kepub, if having an epub is so important, download the book to your PC or Mac, remove the DRM and sideload it. You now have an epub on your kobo. Also for many it's important to know the DRM status of the book too.

Problem solved.
Or not. Having to download and install Kobo's software to get a kePub and then muck around with it is not the same as a regular ePub. For one the formatting is often different in my recent experience.

Quote:
I notice non of you are complaining that the kobo bookshop are not listing a lot of the books you can buy from it, unless you put generic search queries in for instance if you use the ebooks>sports>football, it gives 251 books, if you use the generic search term "football" it gives 1133 books. Is this not a bigger problem than not seeing if a book is a kepub or an epub. And before anyone askes I have used football as an example because I know it is one of the most popular sports in the world.
Kobo's search function is not great, never has been, but in the case you mention doing the first I would expect to turn up books on the subject of football, while a general search I would assume will also turn up books with football in their description, but not necessarily about football. Is this not the case?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kobo's search function is not great, never has been, but in the case you mention doing the first I would expect to turn up books on the subject of football, while a general search I would assume will also turn up books with football in their description, but not necessarily about football. Is this not the case?
This is my understanding too.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #24
witchkitten
Enthusiast
witchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nook Simple Touch
As others have pointed out, it's important to know whether the file is an epub or a kepub because kepubs can't be read on non-kindle e-ink readers and tablets that don't have a kobo app (if such a thing exists). I have a Nook Simple Touch so kepubs are useless to me. Kobo was quick to offer me store credit when I unknowingly purchased a kepub-only book, which I accepted because I knew I would use it, but a refund should also be offered as well for those who don't want credit since it was Kobo's error.

As for removing DRM, that is a bit tricky. For one thing, there is no way to remove the DRM from kepubs on a Mac, at least to my knowledge, so a substantial proportion of the population can't remove it. Also, some people are morally opposed to removing DRM even for personal use, and they shouldn't be put in a position where they have to do it in order to read their book on their non-kobo device.
witchkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #25
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Kobo's response to my facebook post about format

Quote:
Just to reassure you, no matter the format of our Kobo eBooks, they will work on the Kobo platforms as shown on our website. Knowing the format of the eBook is a feature our Development Team is working on as we speak, however your feedback will be forward to them as a much needed demand. We apologize for the inconvenience.
https://www.facebook.com/kobo
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #26
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Can somebody tell me an exactly ebook title which comes just with KEPUB without EUPUB?
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #27
witchkitten
Enthusiast
witchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Can somebody tell me an exactly ebook title which comes just with KEPUB without EUPUB?
Heaven is Paved with Oreos only comes as a kepub.
witchkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Samy here is the kepub only book I bought via my PC from the Kobo website on Sunday:

The Modern Web
By Gasston, Peter
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchkitten View Post
Sorry, but if heaven is paved with some sort of biscuit, it's going to be Tim Tams
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #30
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Kobo's response to my facebook post about format

https://www.facebook.com/kobo
Melmac the bizarre part of all this is that format and DRM were normal attributes supplied by Kobo against each title up to now.