Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My K3 has started talking to me.

All of a sudden, last night, when I went to start reading my book on my k3, it started talking to me. It read the name of the book, the author, the page and percentage read. Fortunately, it didn't also start reading the book to me.

I went to turn off TTS, and it's apparently off. I've done both hard and soft restarts, I turned TTS on and off again, and it's still talking to me.

My next option is to try a factory reset, but I don't want to lose my place in my books (it's a side-loaded book from the library).

Has this happened to anyone else? I really don't want to call CS and have them send me a new K3 (betcha it'd be refurb'd anyway) -this k3 is only a month or so old, since I had to replace my last k3 because of a cracked case.

(I've been thinking of getting a Paperwhite, once they have the screen blotchiness problem solved, so maybe my k3 is jealous and trying to show me how useful it can be?)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
It sounds like you've somehow turned on Voice Guide. Press the Menu button, select Settings, and use the page-forward button to go to the second page. The first menu choice there is Voice Guide, with choices to turn on or off.

Does that help you?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
It's a function you can turn on/off, go into settings menu, second page. I've never tried it, would be at bit surprised too, if it got turn on by itself!

Edit: DreamWriter beat me to it.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I've never tried it, would be at bit surprised too, if it got turn on by itself!
There's a keyboard shortcut for Voice Guide on the K3: SHIFT + SPACEBAR. It's possible that those two buttons were inadvertently pressed at the same time.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - I tried that, no good, it's still talking to me. I'm trying a factory reset now (I do dearly love Calibre! and the Kindle Collection Manager!) and Amazon is telling me it can't register it to my account and I need to call CS. drat.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Thanks - I tried that, no good, it's still talking to me. I'm trying a factory reset now (I do dearly love Calibre! and the Kindle Collection Manager!) and Amazon is telling me it can't register it to my account and I need to call CS. drat.
Darn! I hope it's a problem that's easily fixed.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

OK, the factory reset seems to have done it. thank heavens for Calibre and Kindle Collections plugin!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
OK, the factory reset seems to have done it. thank heavens for Calibre and Kindle Collections plugin!
Yay!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Glad you got it sorted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
There's a keyboard shortcut for Voice Guide on the K3: SHIFT + SPACEBAR. It's possible that those two buttons were inadvertently pressed at the same time.
Yeah, I assumed there was a short-cut for it, but I'd still be pretty surprised if it happened to me though
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I don't use the keyboard that much - just in Notepad to record books I've read - and I can't see pushing shift+spacebar by accident - I don't hold the K3 anywhere near those two, and my keyboard is a bit stiff. Oh, well. I'm currently leaning toward the "it's possessed" theory, as the "it's jealous over my hypothetical paperwhite" doesn't hold up - I don't discuss the paperwhite in my k3's hearing.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I don't use the keyboard that much - just in Notepad to record books I've read - and I can't see pushing shift+spacebar by accident - I don't hold the K3 anywhere near those two, and my keyboard is a bit stiff. Oh, well. I'm currently leaning toward the "it's possessed" theory, as the "it's jealous over my hypothetical paperwhite" doesn't hold up - I don't discuss the paperwhite in my k3's hearing.
It is possessed by the spirit of Jeff Bezos. He's trying to force you to upgrade.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
It is possessed by the spirit of Jeff Bezos. He's trying to force you to upgrade.
Or maybe by the spirit of Christmas yet to come, so your family will buy you a new Kindle for the holidays.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I so want a paperwhite, but I'm waiting til the screen issues have been resolved.

I just hope my K3 holds out until then.