Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Customizing Display of Books on Device

Can I modify the columns displayed on the "Show Books in the main memory of the device" display?

I'd love to see the Format of an eBook in that view, as opposed to having to look at the individual books to see the format.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, that view is not customizable
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Do you have any interest in adding limited customization to the device view?

I can see not wanting to create more metadata/database items (like yes/no boxes and summary) which might not be available on a generic reader, but I'd love to sort by file system items (like the modify date or extension) which Calibre should be able to see.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyDan View Post
Do you have any interest in adding limited customization to the device view?

I can see not wanting to create more metadata/database items (like yes/no boxes and summary) which might not be available on a generic reader, but I'd love to sort by file system items (like the modify date or extension) which Calibre should be able to see.
You do realise that device view is transient?
Some people have many devices, all with different capabilities.

In the Main Library view, you can show only those items that are on the Connected device.
Search: ondevice:true

Now you can see all the metadata (includes custom columns)

Last edited by theducks; 05-08-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Fair suggestion, but:

1. The modified date (among other parameters) may be different between the file on the device and the entry in the library.

2. There can be multiple file types associated with the same entry in the library, and multiple copies on the device with the same extension (different path).

3. If a book doesn't associate with the library, I have no entry on it in the library view. I may want to manage/edit the file, but not add it to the library.

(others may want more, but I'd be interested in these)

The point is, I want to see data about what is on the device, not what's in the library filtered by presence on the device. I'd like to see the directory data pulled straight from the reader to gauge age, quality (is that from before I adjusted the formatting?), file type and sort order. I can do this in explorer . . . but who want's to leave the app?

I expect this data to be transient between device connections. How could it be useful otherwise?

I understand the "different capability" device problem -- that's why I suggested a "limited" set -- but ALL devices have some sort of file system.

Maybe the better suggestion is to add more columns to the view (e.g. file name, extension, modify date, path) as opposed to customizing it. Perhaps even default-hiding some of the longer/less used data items.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am somewhat confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyDan View Post
1. The modified date (among other parameters) may be different between the file on the device and the entry in the library.
The modified date is shown on device view -- the 'date' column
Quote:
2. There can be multiple file types associated with the same entry in the library, and multiple copies on the device with the same extension (different path).
Each book on the device has its own line in the device view.
Quote:
3. If a book doesn't associate with the library, I have no entry on it in the library view. I may want to manage/edit the file, but not add it to the library.
The device view shows you books that are not in the library.
Quote:
Maybe the better suggestion is to add more columns to the view (e.g. file name, extension, modify date, path) as opposed to customizing it. Perhaps even default-hiding some of the longer/less used data items.
You have columns for date and size today. You can see path, including the extension, by hovering over the cover image.

It seems that you are asking that various bits of the path to be available in separate columns in addition to the information in the details pane. Right?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
CraftyDan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The modified date is shown on device view -- the 'date' columnEach book on the device has its own line in the device view.
No. That's the creation date. In practice, I've found the mod date more useful than the creation. Both (or a selection of either) would be useful.

Quote:
The device view shows you books that are not in the library.
Yes, but in the previous post you sent me to the library view to look at anything but the default. My point is that info is spread between the two views and switching between them disconnects any sorting information.

Quote:
You can see path, including the extension, by hovering over the cover image.
That's a cute feature, but while it's nice, it's not obvious and not sortable.

Quote:
It seems that you are asking that various bits of the path to be available in separate columns in addition to the information in the details pane. Right?
Again, my point isn't just having the information spit out in a raw format or spread across two pages, but in sortable columns where it's needed. At a click I could group by format (file type), location (path), or sort the file names, which may be different than the book titles. All this data (except the mod date) is in the preview screen, but you can't sort on it.

There's bound to be other items others want -- customization would give the user more flexibility, but it may be technically difficult -- but these are items I can see practical use for now.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
There is as of one of the later 7 versions (7.57? 7.58?) a "Modified" column that, I believe, shows the date the book metadata was last modified. This is not the Date column, which shows the date the book was added - the new(ish) column is called Modified. I don't think it's visible by default - I think you have to go into your Toolbar (Preferences/Toolbar) and check it to make it visible, or right click on your column headers and click to show this column.

To your larger point: I understand the desire for this. It's something I've occasionally wished for as well - plus device-specific info, like the specific format of the books on my device, or whatever - but my understanding has always been - and I'm not sure where I inferred this; must have been from reading some post somewhere along the way - that it would be laborious to implement as calibre now stands, and because it is possible to get much of the way there by using the Library view and filtering out the items not on the device, I don't think there's too much demand. I am by no means and in no way an expert, however, so don't take this as definitive!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote