Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lightbulb Known bugs and solutions

The purpose of this "sticky" thread is to document known bugs and issues with the Gen3 and - if available - solutions or workarounds for them. Please let's keep this thread strictly factual; general chat can go elsewhere.

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of known issues and their solutions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Missing user guide

Q: The "getting started" card says that there should be a user manual on the Gen3, but it's not there.

A: The user guide can be downloaded from:

http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...rGuide_1_0.prc
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Problems adding fonts

Q: I add new fonts to the machine, but they don't show up in the "Font Families" selector, or when I add new fonts, the built-in ones vanish!

A: Create a folder called "Fonts" (the name is case sensitive) under the "CyBook" USB drive and add your TrueType or OpenType fonts to it. If, when you add a new font, it doesn't appear in the selector, go to the "system" folder, and delete the file ".fonts.cache-1". The new fonts should now appear when the Gen3 exits USB connectivity mode.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
CChris
CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Simpad, HTC P4350, Cybook Gen3
Hi!

Problem:
Cybook Gen3 is not recognized in Mobipocket Software, not even as a storage card...

Solution:
Unplug the USB-Card-Reader, the Cybook is recognised as a READING DEVICE, not a storage card...
(i use latest version, Build 590)

It seems, that in my case the USB-Card-Reader, which is always plugged in, prevents Mobipocket from recognising the Cybook.
As soon as i shut the card-reader down in Windows (XP Home), Mobipocket suddeny finds the Cybook...

Last edited by CChris; 11-16-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Easy to misunderstand
CChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
sm69lover
sm69lover began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen GEn3
the display optimal under Gen3 is reset after the unit is off. That is to say the unit will not save the setting. I like smooth. The black and white refresh method is ugly and displeasure.
sm69lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm69lover View Post
the display optimal under Gen3 is reset after the unit is off. That is to say the unit will not save the setting. I like smooth. The black and white refresh method is ugly and displeasure.
According to Derek, that smooth method of refreshing the screen is very poor for pictures. Just so you are aware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
Trelligan
Trelligan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Long start-up

It seems to take an exceedingly long time for the Cybook to start up - compared with a paperback, anyway!
Is there a reason for the two screens (the second with some 'animation'), or could they conceivably be skipped and go to the library sooner?
Related question: Is there any way to go directly to the book I was reading, rather than to the library?

(It's still great!)
Trelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
Trelligan

Is there a portrait mode?

I've probably mixed this up with somebody else's ebook reader, but wasn't there some mention of a Portrait mode?

I couldn't find any mention in the manual.

It's still a great reader!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:55 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelligan View Post
I've probably mixed this up with somebody else's ebook reader, but wasn't there some mention of a Portrait mode?
Do you mean landscape?
Portrait is the only orientation Gen3 supports.
People are suggesting a landscape option as a useful addition in the 'firmware suggestions' thread.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 AM   #10
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do you mean landscape?
Portrait is the only orientation Gen3 supports.
People are suggesting a landscape option as a useful addition in the 'firmware suggestions' thread.

PDF does offer a landscape view, I thought?
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Trelligan

Smile Landscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
PDF does offer a landscape view, I thought?
Yes, I found the reference. Apparently, someone created a document using Landscape and showed a Cybook displaying it.

Seems like a great idea for some documents . . .
Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Yes, I found the reference. Apparently, someone created a document using Landscape and showed a Cybook displaying it.
Are you quite sure of that? Which reference are you referring to?
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #13
Trelligan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
Are you quite sure of that? Which reference are you referring to?
I found a blog with a picture of a CyBook (uncertain which model) had a page that was in landscape mode. I'd seen this earlier and thought it was a capability of the machine.
As soon as someone mentioned generating a PDF document in landscape, I realized that was how it was done. Silly of me to assume something about the feature set with no documentation from official sources.

While I found the site again, it took a while - and I'm not certain how long it would take me to find it again. The blog was not about CyBooks at all, but the picture was quite clear. Oh, I suppose there might have been some Photoshopping involved, but it didn't seem likely.

Trelligan, off CyBooking again
Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I found a blog with a picture of a CyBook (uncertain which model) had a page that was in landscape mode. I'd seen this earlier and thought it was a capability of the machine.
As soon as someone mentioned generating a PDF document in landscape, I realized that was how it was done. Silly of me to assume something about the feature set with no documentation from official sources.

While I found the site again, it took a while - and I'm not certain how long it would take me to find it again. The blog was not about CyBooks at all, but the picture was quite clear. Oh, I suppose there might have been some Photoshopping involved, but it didn't seem likely.

Trelligan, off CyBooking again
You *can*, with a PDF file, choose to switch to landscape mode. Can't do it with other ebooks. I know it's part of the menu when you're in a PDF file, but as I refuse to use PDF files, I don't remember more than that.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:00 AM   #15
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
You *can*, with a PDF file, choose to switch to landscape mode. Can't do it with other ebooks. I know it's part of the menu when you're in a PDF file, but as I refuse to use PDF files, I don't remember more than that.

Derek
That's it. The Landscape mode option is only available when you are viewing a PDF file. PDF files don't work well on the CyBook because the CyBook does not reflow anything and you can't zoom. All the PDF files I've copied to my CyBook are practically illegible - the print is so small.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote