Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Wow people here are a ton of help. Next time I want a book instead of legally purchasing it I'll just save myself the hassle and torrent it.
The irony being that doing that would be a lesser crime in some countries than removing the DRM from something you bought.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
because nobody else around here has ever liberated an eBook from DRM?
*whistles innocently*
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
The irony being that doing that would be a lesser crime in some countries than removing the DRM from something you bought.
Downloading pirated books from the Internet is currently legal in Poland, removing DRM can in theory result in up-to-a-year in prison, though I don't think it ever happened to anyone. Law experts agree that local copyright law (last updated in 1994) needs a big update, as it regulates mostly radio & TV recordings, and the newest thing then - CDs.

In case anyone's interested ( both texts in Polish ) :

The law: http://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Prawo_...e_%28ustawa%29
( see points 23, 35 on downloading and 118-1 on DRM )

and its interpretation on legality of downloading: http://www.rp.pl/artykul/179350.html?print=tak
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy01 View Post
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I had no luck with the search function.

I'm a Nook owner and wanted to read an ebook that B&N doesn't offer, but Amazon does. So I created a Kindle account, purchased the ebook and downloaded the file. I thought that I could pop it into Calibre and convert it to epub, but then I learned about DRMs.

I've found the python scripts that are out there for removing DRMs, but since I don't have a Kindle, I don't have a serial # and can't generate a PID.

I tried running the 'dedrm.py' script and using the 10 character file name, but I got an invalid PID checksum error.

Has anybody found a way to crack the DRM on this without having a Kindle? I do have an Amazon account and did purchase this book from them. I can read it on my Kindle for PC reader, but would really like to get it into epub.

Cheers,

Roger

There are actually tools plugins for Calibre that will let you do this, after you have downloaded it via Kindle for PC.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
There are actually tools plugins for Calibre that will let you do this, after you have downloaded it via Kindle for PC.
Part of progress I suppose. I haven't done any DRM removal as of yet, because I just don't feel comfortable with running scripts and pyhons. I want something to click on followed by a progress bar that ends with a smiley face telling me I successfully accomplished my task. Since the community of E-book users now must count in the millions it surprises me that there isn't any nerd, ehh sorry, computer genius, that have come forward with a nice little Windows/Mac utility.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Since the community of E-book users now must count in the millions it surprises me that there isn't any nerd, ehh sorry, computer genius, that have come forward with a nice little Windows/Mac utility.
I'm not sure how much easier it could get.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Part of progress I suppose. I haven't done any DRM removal as of yet, because I just don't feel comfortable with running scripts and pyhons. I want something to click on followed by a progress bar that ends with a smiley face telling me I successfully accomplished my task. Since the community of E-book users now must count in the millions it surprises me that there isn't any nerd, ehh sorry, computer genius, that have come forward with a nice little Windows/Mac utility.
I think that, once you install the plugins in Calibre, you just import the book, and they do all the DRM removal work automatically, so no scripts, pythons or even 'ok' button to click.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Hmm, I guess I need to find that plug-in then.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #24
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Check out this thread, it may help you.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103178
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #25
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
... because I just don't feel comfortable with running scripts and pythons...
I don't think anyone would feel comfortable with pythons running around
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #26
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
I don't think anyone would feel comfortable with pythons running around
If they are running they're not pythons, they are giant mutant millipedes.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #27
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
I haven't done any DRM removal as of yet, because I just don't feel comfortable with running scripts and pyhons. I want something to click on followed by a progress bar that ends with a smiley face telling me I successfully accomplished my task. Since the community of E-book users now must count in the millions it surprises me that there isn't any nerd, ehh sorry, computer genius, that have come forward with a nice little Windows/Mac utility.
The utility I've used is pretty danged user-friendly - just double click on the .py file and a simple UI comes up. You do have to install Python. But you don't need to know Python to use it.

I'm going to try the Calibre plug-in next.

With my wife buying books for the Nook and me buying them for the K3, these utilities are very useful.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Those free, binary executables are a major source of viruses and spyware, so it's a bit ironic that you are more comfortable with them. Scripts can be easily checked for such nonsense. Even though you may not understand the scripting language, someone who does will likely look at it at some point and verify that it does what it advertises.

That said, many scripting languages (including python) have GUI capabilities, so some could have a point 'n' click interface.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #29
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That said, many scripting languages (including python) have GUI capabilities, so some could have a point 'n' click interface.
And they do. . .
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #30
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
And they do. . .
PIRATE!!!!!!

rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote