Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Angry My Smart Q7 unit completely dead

First the power socket completely fell off as you may be aware if you followed my thread.

Contacting Eletroworld was useless. No word on warranty. Emails went unanwered.

Had a friend solder it for me. It worked for awhile, but then WIFI went dead. And now the rest of the unit died as well.

I will take a stab at Paypal resolution to get my money back. I suppose they can now say that I voided the warranty by disassembling the unit, but then they never got back to me on honoring the warranty, which led me to take the matter into my own hands.

Glad to see that most of you are having no problems with it. I don't think I will take a chance with an overseas outfit again. Hopefully I will get my $240 back.

Back to looking for a suitable device. Thought this was it, and it was for a day or so.

Last edited by profnachos; 06-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
I can feel your frustration

Once I bought a chinese ereader from online and it just disappeared into thin air. Fortunately for me, after two months of email back and forth, I got a replacement.
Just don't tell paypal you broke the seal when you talk to them. Or if you still want that thing, maybe you can email the seller again and tell them that you are going to ask paypal to get your money back if they don't give you a replacement.
So I guess for this Q7, there's just no tech or after sale service. I was waiting to see if anyone buys that A700 to make a decision. For now I will put it on hold.
Good luck.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Did you try contacting Smartdevices directly?

As the manufacturer they should honor the warranty even if the seller refuses to do so.

edit : contact info

Address: 6 Floor, Digital Media Building, No.7 Information Road, Shangdi Information Industry Base,Beijing,China
Postal code: 100085

Telephone:
+86-10-62971109
+86-10-82127146

E-mail:sales@smartdevices.com.cn

Last edited by Faenad; 06-20-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
More Information Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnachos View Post
First the power socket completely fell off as you may be aware if you followed my thread.

Contacting Eletroworld was useless. No word on warranty. Emails went unanwered.

Had a friend solder it for me. It worked for awhile, but then WIFI went dead. And now the rest of the unit died as well.
@profnachos

I don't want to get your hopes up but I may have a solution.

Does the following describe your situation?
You had firmware V3 installed. The screen is black/blank but the power light is on when the charger is plugged into the unit.
Let me know and I will try to troubleshoot it with you.
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtica96 View Post
@profnachos

I don't want to get your hopes up but I may have a solution.

Does the following describe your situation?
You had firmware V3 installed. The screen is black/blank but the power light is on when the charger is plugged into the unit.
Let me know and I will try to troubleshoot it with you.
No, the power light is not on when the charger is plugged.

The only kind of responsiveness I get from the unit is when I press the reset button. The power light comes on red, and blinks for about 5 times and dies. Or sometimes the light stays on blinking. That happens with or without the power plug.
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
profnachos
Connoisseur

Update on the Eletroworld situation.

They finally responded. It happened only after I rattled their cage with a Paypal dispute, but they seem to cooperate. Will keep you updated.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
profnachos
Connoisseur

Update on the Eletroworld situation.

Alex with Eletroworld informed me that the original plan was to ship me a new unit on the 30th, but because of WIFI and bluetooth issues which you guys have identified, it will be another 10 days or so.

Looks like they are going through growing pains, and doing their best to keep their customers informed and happy.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I am glad to hear that things are working out for you. It's bad that there's a delay. but at least you know that they are working to make you whole.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote