Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Thank you all for your answers. Emojis are showing fine out of the box in Kindle apps for macOS and iOS, so I assume that EPUB supports emojis without the need of adding additional code or transforming images into another format.
No. You are making a woefully incorrect assumption and I'm damned if I understand why you think that ePUB support has anything to do with it. It's not as though K4iOS supports ePUB natively, directly and organically, or that K4Mac reader does, either and the other readers or devices don't.

They are all working off of what is essentially the same "core" system. Yes, there is support on newer devices, or more advanced (say, the 2022 Paperwhite over the 2012 K3), but that has nothing to do with why your Mac reader(s) are supporting the emojis whereas other devices won't.

Quote:
I kindly ask for a device that supports them. I can't buy all modern models and test an epub with emojis.
So, are you only designing for the devices that DO support emojis, or the ones that don't? I'm confused by your statement around this.

Quote:
If somebody can please let me know a device that supports them, I will be very grateful. Thank you very much.
In the business of formatting, we tend to design for the lowest, least-capable device, NOT the best. Otherwise, you are risking an enormous number of reader complaints, Kindle Quality Notices and the like. I would not recommend, for you or anyone else, that you try designing for the best and newest devices. That way lies madness.

If you can find a way to sideload and then open an eBook in KCR (Kindle Cloud Reader, which is basically a cloud-based/browser-based app), you should get your 'best" idea of what will and won't work, across ALL devices.

And if you're making an ebook for distribution--don't. don't use emojis like that. Make them into teeny little PNGs or SVGs or JPGs and insert them as IMAGES. Yu can ignore me if you wish, but when you get KQNs from Amazon, for using emojis, don't say you weren't warned.

Lastly--you say that you can't run around and test on various devices, but in this business--that's exactly what we do. I, in my own office, have 15+ devices here, from Kindles of all sizes and shapes to Nooks to iPads to Android and various other tablets. If you can't afford to buy 5-10 devices, firstly, shop used. Secondly, find emulators or readers that act like the real thing. Kindle Previewer 3 would be a good place to start. For that matter, the old Kindle Previewr 2.9x would be good--you can use the DX emulation there, or the HDX, to see how the really old devices look. If you're used to ONLY looking at Mac stuff, you're in for a rude shock.

So, that's my advice. Arm yourself with ADE, both the 2.x and 4.x versions; with Kindle Previewer 3 and KP 2.9x, and use them both; and various other options. Using one relatively small ecosystem--all iOS-based--is not a good place to quit checking other things.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #17
Artie
Artie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thank you all for your replies.

I would like to clarify that I'm compiling a set of study notes, only for my own use.

And I would like to read my ePub, with those emojis, in an e-reader device, because my view is really tired.

I am not going to distribute that ePub, neither sell or share, it is only for me.

I don't mind if the device is Amazon, Onyx, Sony, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, ...

I really appreciate your knowledge and workarounds, but honestly, no need for this, and I apologize.

Maybe I can try with the last model of a brand I like and see what happens.

Thank you all for your time and interest! I really appreciate it.
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #18
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
I would like to clarify that I'm compiling a set of study notes, only for my own use.

And I would like to read my ePub, with those emojis, in an e-reader device, because my view is really tired.
Are emojis the subject of your study notes?
If you aren't actually studying emojis, maybe you could just use text emoticons instead. Or just leave them out entirely, is another option.

But these are just options, ultimately it is up to you.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.

I am not going to distribute that ePub, neither sell or share, it is only for me.

I don't mind if the device is Amazon, Onyx, Sony, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, ...

I really appreciate your knowledge and workarounds, but honestly, no need for this, and I apologize.

Maybe I can try with the last model of a brand I like and see what happens.

Thank you all for your time and interest! I really appreciate it.
Well, then, not to be dim, but why not just read on your iPad?

Hitch
Old 10-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #20
Artie

emojis help me to memorize.

Also, I don't have an iPad. And I don't want to, I'm tired to look at screens.

Thank you all.
Advert
Old 10-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Thank you all.
Wait, didn't you ask for a device, tho?

If you mean an eInk...IDK, maybe a KPaperwhite 2022? Or 2021?

H
Old 10-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #22
Artie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wait, didn't you ask for a device, tho?

If you mean an eInk...IDK, maybe a KPaperwhite 2022? Or 2021?
Really? Great, then. In my country the KPaperwhite 2022 isn't available yet. But I could try with the 2021 version...

Thank you for your suggestion
Old 10-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
How so? Can you give any examples?

Like you're marking parts of text with a smiley or a sword or bomb or something?

Quote:
You can get a very large device like some of the Onyx E-ink.

I believe those run actual Android OS as well, so then you'd be able to use a very good/modern Android app like:
  • PocketBook Reader

(I'm unsure though, I only have my Kobo Forma. I haven't tested out many of those tablet-like e-ink devices.)

That should be able to handle nearly any Unicode characters you can throw at it... since it's Android.

Anyway, if this whole entire thread was a roundabout way of asking for e-ink device recommendations......... lol.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #24
Artie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
You can get a very large device like some of the Onyx E-ink.

I believe those run actual Android OS as well, so then you'd be able to use a very good/modern Android app like:
  • PocketBook Reader

(I'm unsure though, I only have my Kobo Forma. I haven't tested out many of those tablet-like e-ink devices.)

That should be able to handle nearly any Unicode characters you can throw at it... since it's Android.
Nice! This seems a nice suggestion too, will check for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Anyway, if this whole entire thread was a roundabout way of asking for e-ink device recommendations......... lol.
I'm afraid yes, but I'm sure will help others.

Last edited by Artie; 10-19-2022 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:56 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Really? Great, then. In my country the KPaperwhite 2022 isn't available yet. But I could try with the 2021 version...

Honestly, the 2021 is pretty good. I have one. Hell, they're probably all pretty good from the 2019--> if not even earlier. I adored, ADORED, my what's-its, the Voyage, which they d/c'ed (boo-hiss) but the later PPWs have KF8, so your smilies should (famous last words) display.

Hitch
Old 10-19-2022, 04:27 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Thank you all.
There goes your Kindle. It does have a screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:28 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The PW4 is not nice. Amazon really made the screen a mess. The PW3 has a better screen. So does the PW5.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The PW3 screen is really good and you can only see that the PW4 is slightly inferior on side by side ambient light. The slightly lower resolution original Kobo Aura HD H2O is slightly brighter than either in daylight or external reading lamp probably because of the IR touch. Capacitive touch add extra layer(s) with transparent tin so reduces the reflected light a little.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The PW3 screen is really good and you can only see that the PW4 is slightly inferior on side by side ambient light. The slightly lower resolution original Kobo Aura HD H2O is slightly brighter than either in daylight or external reading lamp probably because of the IR touch. Capacitive touch add extra layer(s) with transparent tin so reduces the reflected light a little.
Yes. I agree with these ^.

Hitch
Old 10-20-2022, 04:19 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would like Kobo to bring back the original H2O but with 300dpi. Keep the IR touch. And use a faster processor and if possible, a battery with more charge.