Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Converting lit books...

I thought I saw a post by Adam showing how to convert lit books to pdf.

Can anyone point me in that direction. I did a search, but no luck.

thanks
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd like to ask WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

I have over 100 lit books that I want to put onto the iliad....cannot do that and have them read.
Therefore I need to convert them.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
[do not convert them to PDF...I would say it is the worst format for any device other than a desktop or notebook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
I have over 100 lit books that I want to put onto the iliad....cannot do that and have them read.
Therefore I need to convert them.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
Wimvv
Wimvv began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
HTML and Mobi even txt would be better in my opinion to

use converlit to convert them to html or ABC amber LIT converter to convert them to 14 different kind of formats.
You can convert html to mobi with mobigen.exe

But... who am i to judge :smoking: , you can use ABC Amber LIT https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion to convert LIT to PDF.
(a good page for all kinds of converter tools )
Wimvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I think you're looking for this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=103393

It doesn't convert to PDF, but to OEB, which can be read by FBReader.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I highly recommend FBReader, but if you want to use the MobiPocket Reader instead then use ConvertLIT on a Windows PC and issue the command
Code:
mobigen.exe file.opf -c1 -s0 -jpeg
to convert the OEB book to MOBI. The MOBI file is also readable by FBReader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

I was planning on converting from lit to pdf, then from pdf to mobipocket.

The reason I want mobipocket is that if for some reason I cannot bring my iliad with me, I can transfer it to my blackberry which has mobipocket.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
I was planning on converting from lit to pdf, then from pdf to mobipocket.

The reason I want mobipocket is that if for some reason I cannot bring my iliad with me, I can transfer it to my blackberry which has mobipocket.
Sorry, but that seems crazy to me. Why go via PDF?

Use "ConvertLit" to convert LIT to HTML, then "Mobigen" to convert the HTML to PRC. You can read the Mobi books on both the iLiad and the blackberry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that LIT and MOBI (PRC) were developed at about the same time, and both are variants of OEB. LIT is almost pure OEB in a MS wrapper. MOBI starts with OEB and tries to make it simple enough to render on very low end devices, but the intent was always to use OEB as the archiving and editing format. You can't even import PRC files into MobiPocket's tools. So LIT to OEB to MOBI makes perfect sense, and is exactly what MobiPocket wants you to do (without the LIT detour).
Old 12-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have to say that I'm a complete convert to the idea of going the LIT->OEB->Mobi route using ConvertLIT and MobiGen. I've been experimenting with Baen's books, and this approach gives you much nicer-looking books (with full-screen images, etc.) than downloading the Mobi format book directly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #12
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

I have no issues going to OEB. My problem is that I am a mac user and have NO idea how to use command line programs.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader

There are two possibilities: a) use mobigen.exe with wine (this works for Linux, see mobigen under wine and mobipocket MIME type), or b) use lit2mobi which requires Perl, see html2mobi (a mobigen replacement written in Perl). Neither one has been reported to work on a Mac though.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Perl ships with OSX, so they should work. I haven't had occasion to test yet, though.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are two possibilities: a) use mobigen.exe with wine or b) use lit2mobi which requires Perl, see html2mobi (a mobigen replacement written in Perl). Neither one has been reported to work on a Mac though.
I don't care for wine-most things seem to work much better for me with Scotch. (Of course sometimes, the next morning, I discover that *seems* and *does* are two different things.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote