Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-31-2015, 06:24 AM   #2281
percla71
percla71 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
Just a question, is KOReader working on Kobo GLO HD ?

thanks
percla71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #2282
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by percla71 View Post
Just a question, is KOReader working on Kobo GLO HD ?

thanks
Yes, for the last six nightlys An install guide.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #2283
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Just to ask, is there are people who uses koreader exclusively?

I'm more and more inclined to stick only to KSM and koreader. At the moment only thing I'm missing from koreader is setting clock, I still need to do that in nickel. Or, am I missing something?

If someone is more experienced than me, maybe we could make a thread how to use our kobo ebook readers completely without nickel.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #2284
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post

I'm more and more inclined to stick only to KSM and koreader. At the moment only thing I'm missing from koreader is setting clock, I still need to do that in nickel. Or, am I missing something?

If someone is more experienced than me, maybe we could make a thread how to use our kobo ebook readers completely without nickel.
I do all my ereading in Koreader and only rarely go to Nickel to check a setting or test something out. I still am using Firmware 3.5.0, as I have no need for the "improvements"/repairs/enhancements to the readers or the marketing gimmicks.

I never used the Kobo Sync features, and now with the Koreader "Progress Sync" I could sync between Kobo, Kindle, Pocketbook, and Android devices, with Koreader installed.

With Koreader's OPDS support I don't need to use the Klunky Kobo internet browser, to download book files or to access the calibre content server.

If I used "Pocket" I would likely be going to Nickel for that, I don't know if that use would cause any problems, but I remember others mentioning Pocket use as well as Koreader.

Luck;
Ken

It would be nice though if the simple password authentication that caliber can use with its content server, were supported in Koreader's OPDS plugin.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-31-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #2285
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
I do spend now 99% of my reading time with KSM07 and Koreader. I left Nickel at v. 2.8.1. I find Koreader very handy and reactive. It allows a lot of customizations.

Koreader took me while to get used to. At first glance, the settings are not that obvious and , for me, the main stumbling block was the "missing" TypeGenius feature as I had to search for some nice-looking replacement fonts.

I recently discovered the smart Evernote plugin which makes proofreading so easy.

I hope that Koreader in the coming months will improve its support for some EPUB3 features and SVG.

As Ken also noted, a support for passwords of OPDS catalogues (if existing) would be welcome.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2015, 02:55 AM   #2286
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:

That's pretty much the way I use it too. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if most people who use KSM primarily use either KOReader of CoolReader. The only things I use in Nickel are the clock setting and the browser.

If you really want to avoid Nickel I'm sure you could run the date and hwclock commands that are included in BusyBox — vlasovsoftlauncher comes with a little terminal app, although I don't care for it.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:44 AM   #2287
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
hi
I have a problem in navigating files in memory folder in koreader ( last ver. )
when i tap to go to other page to see rest of my book list its return to nickel
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:48 AM   #2288
myki
Zealot
myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kinde PW v1, Kobo H2O, Onyx Boox T68
Hi,

I need your help
I have an old version now of koreader and of the start menu, and I have some battery problems on both of my H2O.
I want to update everything to give it a chance to resolve my problems, so my questions are :

- How can I know the version of my start menu and of my koreader ?
- How to update koreader ?
(I suppose I juste have to unzip the archive, except the tgz file ?)
- How to update the start menu ?

I know that it's not the right place for my last question, but if you have the answer.......

Thank you very much in advance for your answers...
myki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #2289
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by myki View Post
Hi,

I need your help
I have an old version now of koreader and of the start menu, and I have some battery problems on both of my H2O.
I want to update everything to give it a chance to resolve my problems, so my questions are :

- How can I know the version of my start menu and of my koreader ?
- How to update koreader ?
(I suppose I juste have to unzip the archive, except the tgz file ?)
- How to update the start menu ?

I know that it's not the right place for my last question, but if you have the answer.......

Thank you very much in advance for your answers...
1. For the KSM, just poke "info" on the home menu page. You poke at the bottom of the page to bring up the "close" button for leaving the info page.
For Koreader select the "Version" option in the top menus, it will give you a pop-up message box.

2. To update Koreader you just merge/copy over the "koreader" folder from the zip file over the existing koreader folder on your device. (You can skip the "history" folder if the merge stops at that point.) The KoboRoot.tgz is only to add the launching icons, for the "fmon" launching method, it is not needed if you are using KSM.

3. It is best to pay close attention to the instructions in tshering's KSM post, this may be especially important when he releases KSM8.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #2290
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Myki, a cheeky request, but if Ken's advice solves your battery issues would you mind posting an update?

I love Koreader, but now use Coolreader because I found large battery drains whilst sleeping using Koreader. With Coolreader I can get three weeks or more from my H2O, but I am lucky to get a week using Koreader.

Happy testing.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #2291
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
I get about 10-14 days with koreader, but find it very comfortable otherwise for reading, etc.

On the other hand, if somehow problem with battery can be solved, it would be great.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #2292
myki
Zealot
myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kinde PW v1, Kobo H2O, Onyx Boox T68
Thank you Ken for your answer, I will work on my H2O tomorrow, and I will sure post an update church mouse.

About my batteries issues, it seems that it works fine for a long time in sleep mode, with the cover printed on the reader.
And (I suppose) randomly, I find it with my last page printed and my batterie empty, so I guess that it waked up itself without going back to sleep mode.

I have verified that nothing can act on the button, and it never happened with Nickel.

Thanx again for your help
myki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #2293
kwokhin
Enthusiast
kwokhin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hello guys!
First,I absolutely LOVE KOREADER! I can't imagine reading PDFs on Glo HD without it.
But recently I've started reading normal files like epub and mobi on koreader but it always freezes when I'm trying to highlight some texts or turn to the next page. Sometimes, I can't even highlight some texts (it occurs most of the time when I try to highlight more than half a page), even I pressed highlight in the pop up menu, it just wouldn't highlight.
Any thought? Thanks!

Last edited by kwokhin; 08-09-2015 at 09:50 AM.
kwokhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #2294
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Ive had some severe battery draining on a Glo HD. But that device went kaputt shortly thereafter, so it may have just been a hardware defect.

Ever since I've switched to my new H2O, battery endurance has been pretty good, and I've not noticed any unusual draining using the sleep cover with koreader.

////

Anyway, I've made two minor interface adjustments that I find useful for the way I use the device. Posting it here just in case anyone else finds them useful. It's basically two additional icons in the reader menu. I just color-inverted the light and home button, cos I'm lazy. One allows for one-click light-toggling. I find that useful, since the H2O doesn't have a light button. And the other one is for shutdown. Which may be convenient for people experiencing battery drain in sleep mode.

The attached zip contains 3 files. The .png files go into koreader/resources/icons/, and readermenu.lua replaces that file in koreader/frontend/apps/reader/modules/. (Make a backup of the old version, so you can switch back if for whatever reason you don't like it.)

I just checked it out with the latest nightly build (20150808), and it still works. Cheers.

Edit:
See the updated version here

Last edited by xor_; 08-11-2015 at 07:08 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #2295
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwokhin View Post
Hello guys!
First,I absolutely LOVE KOREADER! I can't imagine reading PDFs on Glo HD without it.
But recently I've started reading normal files like epub and mobi on koreader but it always freezes when I'm trying to highlight some texts or turn to the next page. Sometimes, I can't even highlight some texts (it occurs most of the time when I try to highlight more than half a page), even I pressed highlight in the pop up menu, it just wouldn't highlight.
Any thought? Thanks!
No freezes or highlighting problem in .epub, but I start Koreader with the external SD card remounted as read-write, that might be a factor? I never figured out how to continue a highlight from one page to the next, the only thing I could do is make it two separate highlights.

You could try, in KSM7, using "Tools">external sd.msh>remount sd rw.sh, to see if then Koreader's highlighting works better. If that works, you can add a line to the script that starts Koreader.

Luck;
Ken