Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
sbatdorf
sbatdorf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Help managing kindle

I'm attempting to manage Kindles for relatives out of town from Amazon.com. Can I see what is on the individual device? They have duplicate books on each device that they want deleted.

Thanks!
sbatdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatdorf View Post
I'm attempting to manage Kindles for relatives out of town from Amazon.com. Can I see what is on the individual device? They have duplicate books on each device that they want deleted.

Thanks!
Are the Kindles registered to the same account?
If they are on separate accounts, it's easy and convenient.
Under "Manage Your Kindle" on Amazon.com you see the entire library: All books, magazines, apps and so on.
From there, you manually can send to all registered Kindles separately.
But: You can't (to my knowledge) delete titles from specific Kindles.
You can delete titles from the entire library, making them disappear from all Kindles.
Unfortunately, you can't differentiate between the various Kindles.
I myself would like to register 1 Kindle to my US account and 1 Kindle to my German account.
But you only can manage the library as a whole.

The only workaround I see:
Your relatives manually could reset their Kindles, thus deleting all titles.
Then you manually can send titles from the library on Amazon.com to specific Kindles. This definitely will work, but it's an awful lot of work of course.

From Amazon.com, you can reset the Kindles as well, by deleting them from the registered devices.
But your relatives then manually have to re-register the Kindles. This can't be done via web browser.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
sbatdorf
sbatdorf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. Both Kindles are on the same account. I will have to call them and have them do it manually.

Do you know if I email each a book to them separately if it shows up on the Amazon website once or twice?
sbatdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatdorf View Post
Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. Both Kindles are on the same account. I will have to call them and have them do it manually.

Do you know if I email each a book to them separately if it shows up on the Amazon website once or twice?
I haven't sent documents to Kindles for quite some time.
But as far as I remember, you don't see the email-address (= Kindle) you've sent it to.
You just see it under "documents".
So basically the same as described before: It's in the library, but you can't separate between the Kindles.

Just a thought:
Your relatives can generate collections.
For example, relative A might want to get rid of all Stephen King books.
Relative B could generate a collection "Stephen King". All collections can be synced between the Kindles.
Relative A then quickly could manually delete all books within this collection.
Should be faster than looking up all the books on both Kindles separately.

Annoying issue (not just with Kindle, I've found this with all publishers and manufacturers): Even if you buy books from the same source and even as a bundle, often you find inconsistencies in the naming:
"Stephen King", "King, Stephen" and so on.
But if your relatives use collections, at least this work only has to be done once and then synced to the other Kindle(s)...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle