Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #31
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

Oh, what does "h/H" stand for?
hero/heroine.

I read a lot of romances, including some erotic romances, so what is and isn't "adult themed" is sometimes difficult to define as the sexual content of even mainstream romances can vary significantly. I've been enjoying Evangeline Collins's historicals (_Seven Nights to Forever_, _Her Ladyship's Companion_ -- both about prostitutes in the 19th Century and who they fall in love with)--erotic romance, lots of sex but also well-developed plots.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #32
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
One time I had a tire blowout on the highway and had pulled over to change the tire when a man pulled up and changed the tire for me. I thanked him and he went on his way. My husband later told me that guys do that because they have some secret hope that if they do that the woman will have sex with them.
Of course, and also because of a chest-swelling macho pride of having rescued a helpless damsil...
Man I'll have to learn how to change tires one of these days so I can rescue helpless damsils like that !
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #33
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Oh, what does "h/H" stand for?
h/H is a romance fanspeak convention referring to the heroine and Hero respectively.

I suppose that one day there will be h/h & H/H and maybe even h/H/h/H novels discussed in this fashion.

As for Ellora's Cave, they have an extensive section of freebie short stories and novellas (also DRM-free) to sample at their website.

And I've read some fairly high quality works when Circlet Press featured them during the yearly Erotic Advent calendar where they put up a free story every day (but only for that day). They mostly do themed anthologies, so if you've a particular storyline/theme kink, you're probably good to go.

Their free reads section, plus a couple of extra microfiction and holiday stories not found via that page. Their books are also available DRM-free via Fictionwise, so you can use those handy 30%+ discount coupons which pop up from time to time.

Disclaimer: I have not bought any of either of these publishers' works myself, being insufficiently interested in either standard or specialty erotica to go buy it for myself. Also, the library often gets them in (which was mildly surprising at first, but go library!)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #34
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
Of course, and also because of a chest-swelling macho pride of having rescued a helpless damsil...
Man I'll have to learn how to change tires one of these days so I can rescue helpless damsils like that !
When I learned to drive my father made me change a tire 10 times before he would let me take the car on the road. I was a competent damsel, but completely willing to let someone else do the work!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #35
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
h/H is a romance fanspeak convention referring to the heroine and Hero respectively.

I suppose that one day there will be h/h & H/H and maybe even h/H/h/H novels discussed in this fashion.
but they are called f/f or m/m or m/m/f or f/f/m or...
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you Joykins & ATDrake for both the explanations & the reading recommendations!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #37
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
When I learned to drive my father made me change a tire 10 times before he would let me take the car on the road.
Well mine have a security lock that took a car mechanic 10 minutes of hard work to undo. With the right tool that is.
Anyway I don't have to know how to hunt since they invented agriculture 10 000 years ago, so why should I have to know how to do a car mechanic's job ?
Especially since they invented cellphones so you're never stuck alone ?

Quote:
I was a competent damsel, but completely willing to let someone else do the work!
Sneaky women ! And you didn't even properly thank him the way he was obviously hoping you would...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #38
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
but they are called f/f or m/m or m/m/f or f/f/m or...
Yeah, but those are the designations that people already reading erotica use.

In the future where there are non-niche "vanilla" to "strawberry" novels with those pairings (or quaddings, or whatever) such as one day Harlequin (non-Carina) might have, I'll be tickled to see "mainstream" romance fans use the "hH" terms.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #39
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I enjoyed Andrew Vachss's "Burke" series. It was heavy-handed, characters were caricatures, and had too much 'author's fantasy' in them but I still read 'em.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #40
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Well mine have a security lock that took a car mechanic 10 minutes of hard work to undo. With the right tool that is.
Anyway I don't have to know how to hunt since they invented agriculture 10 000 years ago, so why should I have to know how to do a car mechanic's job ?

Especially since they invented cellphones so you're never stuck alone ?
I suppose I should not tell you what year I learned to drive. You were probably not born then
Spoiler:
(1986)
. And I even had my tire blow out before cell phone use was truly widespread.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #41
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
One time I had a tire blowout on the highway and had pulled over to change the tire when a man pulled up and changed the tire for me. I thanked him and he went on his way. My husband later told me that guys do that because they have some secret hope that if they do that the woman will have sex with them.
On the complete opposite hand, I broke down once on the highway at about 3 in the morning. My alternator was not working so my car just died. A very nice looking young (we were both in our early 20's) lady stopped to help me. I embarrassed to say that I didn't even think of sex, in fact after she gave me a jump (the battery) and let it charge for a few minutes, as she was leaving I told her thanks but that it was pretty foolish thing to do and not to do it again. It wasn't until about 5 minutes later when I got home that the fantasies started running around in my mind
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #42
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
On the complete opposite hand,
Not sure here if it is wise to say "on the opposite hand" in a thread discussion one handed reading
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #43
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
It wasn't until about 5 minutes later when I got home that the fantasies started running around in my mind
So Argus was right !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Not sure here if it is wise to say "on the opposite hand" in a thread discussion one handed reading
You my dear lady have a dirty, perverted mind that almost matches my own !

Good night everyone !
Old 04-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #44
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
So Argus was right !

You my dear lady have a dirty, perverted mind that almost matches my own !

Good night everyone !
LOL! Good Night EoA.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #45
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
The story with the werewolf was called "Lupine Dreams" and the werewolf was called Dagomarus (no idea about the author).
Thanks! Found it. The author is Islador, by the way, and the story can be found both on ASSTR and StoriesOnline.

And here are my recommendations (all but the last one can be found on StoriesOnline, and I trust that ASSTR will also have most of those):
hammingbyrd7 - The Preacher Man. It's not that full of sex, but damn, what a great S/F story. His Aina Timeline stories contain more sex (some of it kinky), time travel, and quite a bit of weirdness with space-time.
Fillmore - Oil of Roses. Starts as consensual BDSM erotica, but grows into so much more while staying true to that basic theme.
dweaver999 - Hellfire Trilogy. Starts out on a very dark note of drugged non-consensuality, but becomes a solid S/F story full of weird sexual goodness. Warning: lots of sex with non-human partners. His Amber series is character-driven fantasy heavy on sex and BDSM, and I very much wish he'd write it faster.

And then there's Elf Sternberg's Journal Entries of Kennet R'yal Shardik aka the Pendor series. Lots of furry (almost all of it, in some form or another), some gay, some BDSM, but there's enough science fiction in there that I occasionally wished he'd skip the sex and explore his universe a bit more instead.

Quote:
Totally besides the topic, does anyone know what those cheap / trashy / short ninja novels I read as a kid might be called (so I can look at them again) ?
Sorry, can't help you there. Reminds me a bit of that trashy TV series The Master with Lee van Cleef, though.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote