Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Battery life

I had my Kindle fully charged on Thursday. It has been off since. When I turned it on tonight, it had about 1/5 of a charge. Doe this seem odd? Anyone else have this? Should I contact Amazon? It's only five months old and doesn't get heavy use.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Did you leave Whispernet on? If it's in sleep mode (you can see screensavers) and Whispernet is on, it will keep using up battery life. Or, if you loaded a bunch of books and put it in sleep mode, the Kindle will be working to index your new books, which also takes more battery life than just reading. (Indexing is done so you can search a book.)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Our Kindle goes thru a battery temper tantrum now and then, says not charged when it should be, charge not lasting as long, etc. I push the reset button on the back and its good to go for several more months, then it acts up again. I even put in a new battery once but still does it, something with the internal brains I guess.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I have weird little hiccups with my two K1s. for awhile I was thinking that one of my chargers was slightly odd, then that didn't seem to be the issue. I'm not sure what it is, but just as soon as I get ready to get really ticked off and think about new batteries, they sort themselves out... yeah I know how it sounds. shush!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
My K2 is only a few weeks old and I get a max of 4 days charge with Whispernet on. I don't search anything, nor use the web browser. I use my K2 about 2 hours a day. However I don't have the 3G network where I live, so it's using the Edge network instead. So I wonder if the wireless adapter is working harder to find a signal and it is wearing the battery down faster than someone's Kindle that receives the 3G signal.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
I don't have the 3G network where I live, so it's using the Edge network instead. So I wonder if the wireless adapter is working harder to find a signal and it is wearing the battery down faster than someone's Kindle that receives the 3G signal.
I suspect that's exactly what's happening. The adapter will be constantly looking for a signal, and will work harder if it can't find one, using more power in the process.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I agree, searching for a weak signal is a battery killer.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
I had this after upgrading to 2.5 firmware with a Kdxi. Everything else seemed fine. After resetting the problem was solved...
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I only turn on the whispernet if I am actually downloading content or using the web. Otherwise it is off. I read daily on my K2 and my batter lasts almost 2 weeks on a single charge. I have had the K2 for over a year.

Bottom line, if you want to extend the time between charges, try using the Kindle without whispernet on. I am sure you will notice a difference.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
I had my Kindle fully charged on Thursday. It has been off since. When I turned it on tonight, it had about 1/5 of a charge. Doe this seem odd? Anyone else have this? Should I contact Amazon? It's only five months old and doesn't get heavy use.
In the past, I've turned off my Kindles (DX and 2, both US versions). They could last for months when turned off.
Since I've set the clock correctly, using the USB-Network hack, I put them in standby. Last week I recognised, in standby they ran dry rather quickly, maybe one week when fully charged and not used at all.
So I've decided to turn them off again, although I'm not sure yet, how long the internal clock will remain set correctly.
Anyway: Are you sure, you've turned it off (no screensaver visible)? If so, it should do at least a month. 1/5 in 1 night definitely seems way too much.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Battery life in sleep mode should be very long. Mine is now 2 weeks on standby with some reading and a couple of Whispernet sessions. Maybe 1/5th the charge has gone away. There is little reason to leave the Whispernet always on & it will drain the battery quickly.
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
csmall4one
csmall4one began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I recently had major issues with my battery life, as in it wouldn't hold a charge for much more than 45 minutes to an hour during reading. I called CS and they asked which version I was in. When I checked, I was still in 2.3 so he gave me the link to upgrade to 2.3.3. Believe it or not, that was all it took to correct the issue-I'm back up to around 10 days of battery life on one charge!
csmall4one is offline   Reply With Quote