Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
Well my plan is to be carrying everything on one device. I will keep the Kobo Aura HD in mind but it looks like it might just offer a higher resolution from what I have now.
The Kobo devices don't support a 64GB card. It is possible a firmware update will change that but I doubt that Kobo will be hurrying to do it. They are marketed as reading devices, and even 32GB is a lot of books.

As you know, they use FAT32 for the card. There is a fairly easy hack to allow EXT3 or EXT4. I don't know if anyone has tried NTFS, but it might work depending on what was compiled into the kernel. You would be able to try this on your Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo devices don't support a 64GB card. It is possible a firmware update will change that but I doubt that Kobo will be hurrying to do it. They are marketed as reading devices, and even 32GB is a lot of books.
Books, sure. Graphic novels, not so much. I can easily read a 200-page, 100-150MB volume of manga in 15 minutes or so. Sure, 32GB is still a considerably amount but likely not enough if you want to always have multi-volume favorites readily available. Heck, I carry a credit card-sized 8-slot microSD card holder with me because even 64GB isn't enough to hold all my favorites as well as my TBR pile.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not sure why NTFS support is a requirement. Since NTFS is a proprietary, undocumented, Microsoft format, ANY Linux / BSD support for it is risky.

Even Microsoft don't really support it on flash device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For any device which mounts as a USB mass storage device, use of the FAT32 file system is mandated - it's a requirement imposed by the standard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:53 AM   #20
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure why NTFS support is a requirement. Since NTFS is a proprietary, undocumented, Microsoft format, ANY Linux / BSD support for it is risky.

Even Microsoft don't really support it on flash device.
NTFS is not a requirement it is something I would like though because i wont be limited to what size fie the device can read
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have many books which are more than 4GB in size?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quite :-). There is another extreme corner case where NTFS is useful, though: lots and lots of files.

I ran into it myself a while ago: I back up my Calibre library to a 128GB USB stick (FAT32 formatted, originally), and FreeFileSync suddenly started throwing errors that seemed to imply that the thing was full. It wasn't, so I was puzzled as to where the problem was. CHKDSK gave it a clean bill of health, so it wasn't file system corruption either.

Turned out it was a LFN -> 8.3 filename mapping collision.

Converting the stick to NTFS fixed it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 AM   #23
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Quite :-). There is another extreme corner case where NTFS is useful, though: lots and lots of files.

I ran into it myself a while ago: I back up my Calibre library to a 128GB USB stick (FAT32 formatted, originally), and FreeFileSync suddenly started throwing errors that seemed to imply that the thing was full. It wasn't, so I was puzzled as to where the problem was. CHKDSK gave it a clean bill of health, so it wasn't file system corruption either.

Another possible solution: back up your library to a folder rather than the root of your USB stick. The root supports only so many entries (files or folders) but that restriction does not apply to the number entries in a folder.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Another possible solution: back up your library to a folder rather than the root of your USB stick. The root supports only so many entries (files or folders) but that restriction does not apply to the number entries in a folder.
The root, though, only holds 64 files. I don't think the previous poster was running into that limit.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #25
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
The root, though, only holds 64 files. I don't think the previous poster was running into that limit.
No, I wasn't; the only entry in the root of the drive is my Calibre directory. And the 'maximum number of root file entries' comes from FAT16 (where it was 512); FAT32 does not have that limit, as the root directory is not a fixed structure as it was in FAT16, but an ordinary cluster chain, just like subdirecties.

What I ran into was akin to a hash collision, as the 8.3 name is in effect a hash of the long name and thus subject to the same potential problems.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No, I wasn't; the only entry in the root of the drive is my Calibre directory. And the 'maximum number of root file entries' comes from FAT16 (where it was 512); FAT32 does not have that limit, as the root directory is not a fixed structure as it was in FAT16, but an ordinary cluster chain, just like subdirecties.
Thanks for the correction!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #27
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:

What I ran into was akin to a hash collision, as the 8.3 name is in effect a hash of the long name and thus subject to the same potential problems.
Yes, I was a bit confused. Thanks for the correction indeed.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:

I personally really hate calibre. Too many files or too large a file and he program takes hours to load up or do anything. I have tried to fiddle with it and it just doesn't like to run with my library of books despite the formats being supported.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #29
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Well my goal is to get it all onto one device so I don't have to fiddle with the computer or exchange micro sd cards. While putting them all into folders is easy to do it isnt exactly ideal. I want to be able to just pull my ereader out and my whole library is ready to go.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #30
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
I have a few yes one ran over 7GB thats when I discovered the whole FAT32 thing when I tried to stuff it onto the card. Also, even though the limit is 4GB for FAT32 it seems anything over 2 GB and my device cant read it. Once I cut it into pieces it reads it no problem but anything larger is a no go.

Last edited by GoldThreader; 01-31-2014 at 12:56 PM.