Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #151
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm so glad MR has an Ignore function. For the first time ever I just activated it.
Yes indeed. Unfortunately it's not as unilateral as the Ignore on other forums, and of course it's hard for people to stop feeding trolls so you'll occasionally have to see quoted text.

My replacement PW is here. I did not get any kind of upgrade, including SO removal, which is really not an issue for me. Just mentioning it for people who are hoping for free upgrades; I suspect those are over unless you really really push.

The screen is better than my original unit. It's still got darker/lighter background areas (upper screen, NOT referring to LEDs), but much better. In fact, I can close my eyes, mix them up, and unerringly identify my original by its distinctive blue and pink cloud pattern, which hasn't changed since day 1.

I'm closer to satisfied, except that my images still ghost text from the previous screen. I'm attaching a shot from the new unit, as well as a shot to prove I know how to turn Page Refresh ON. This book, and my other example a few days ago, are both .mobis.

No, I don't expect to use my Kindle for books with images. I have an iPad for heavily-illustrated cookbooks, manuals, and PDFs. But surely it's not supposed to do this, and it adds to my overall annoyance with the whole fiasco. I forgot to check the same books on my KK last night, but I will tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	201
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	93767   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	196
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	93768  

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #152
jswinden
Nameless Being

Speaking of marketing BS, this is on the Paperwhite page at Amazon.

Yeah that is definitely Photoshopped!!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #153
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:

That's the Paperwhite I want.......
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #154
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Yes indeed. Unfortunately it's not as unilateral as the Ignore on other forums, and of course it's hard for people to stop feeding trolls so you'll occasionally have to see quoted text.

My replacement PW is here. I did not get any kind of upgrade, including SO removal, which is really not an issue for me. Just mentioning it for people who are hoping for free upgrades; I suspect those are over unless you really really push.

The screen is better than my original unit. It's still got darker/lighter background areas (upper screen, NOT referring to LEDs), but much better. In fact, I can close my eyes, mix them up, and unerringly identify my original by its distinctive blue and pink cloud pattern, which hasn't changed since day 1.

I'm closer to satisfied, except that my images still ghost text from the previous screen. I'm attaching a shot from the new unit, as well as a shot to prove I know how to turn Page Refresh ON. This book, and my other example a few days ago, are both .mobis.

No, I don't expect to use my Kindle for books with images. I have an iPad for heavily-illustrated cookbooks, manuals, and PDFs. But surely it's not supposed to do this, and it adds to my overall annoyance with the whole fiasco. I forgot to check the same books on my KK last night, but I will tonight.
I just turned on my PW to see if I could find a dark image to compare with yours, which ghosting looks very bad BTW. I opened a book and it initially displayed the text as all centered! I've never ever had the happen before. I paged forward and backward and it went away though. FW glitch I guess.

Another disturbing thing is this afternoon the PW has a deeper blue hue with some pink mixed in and it is starting to show some faint shadowing. Pardon my language but GDit! I'm getting really frustrated.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #155
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Yeah, I think all of the various frontlit reader marketing pics I've seen (Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Bookeen, Onyx, etc.) have been doctored. A lot of regular unlit reader marketing pics are doctored to some extent too I think.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #156
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a photo of my replacement PW form a few minutes ago. You can see how it is getting bad.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #157
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Another disturbing thing is this afternoon the PW has a deeper blue hue with some pink mixed in and it is starting to show some faint shadowing. Pardon my language but GDit! I'm getting really frustrated.
I hear you. I noticed a pink/blue shadow on mine last night in the bottom left corner that was never there before. Previously that corner had a very faint shadow, but nothing major, now this. Replacement coming tomorrow, but I'm not feeling very hopeful about it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #158
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I hear you. I noticed a pink/blue shadow on mine last night in the bottom left corner that was never there before. Previously that corner had a very faint shadow, but nothing major, now this. Replacement coming tomorrow, but I'm not feeling very hopeful about it.
Exactly same as mine. See photo in post above.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #159
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
jswinden: Is the picture (above) your replacement?
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #160
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just turned on my PW to see if I could find a dark image to compare with yours, which ghosting looks very bad BTW. I opened a book and it initially displayed the text as all centered! I've never ever had the happen before. I paged forward and backward and it went away though. FW glitch I guess.
My two Paperwhites actually seem to flow/format the exact same book (both downloaded off the same Cloud source file) differently. Identical font size, font style, margin and line spacing settings. They will start off on the same page (word for word, line for line), but after a few pages they decide to space a paragraph mark differently, and end up a few lines off from each other.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #161
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Exactly same as mine. See photo in post above.
Yep, that's where mine is too. This is becoming ridiculous. Now we have blotches appearing where there were none.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #162
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
Here is a photo of my replacement PW form a few minutes ago. You can see how it is getting bad.

that sucks. I really hope they clear it up in the next production run. Mine is supposed to come October 25.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #163
okh
okh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you need a light that strong when you have direct sunlight? With my 650, there is no way I would want a light when I have direct sunlight.
Because the screen background will look whiter, so you can have a paper-like experience. That's the point with the Paperwhite: higher settings for lit rooms, lower settings for dark rooms.
okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #164
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
jswinden: Is the picture (above) your replacement?
Sadly yes!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #165
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Ugh. That's awful.

I'm shipping back PW #1 this week, will give PW #2 a few days to see if it develops any more blotches or weirdness, or if I can't live with the shadowing it has, or if Amazon comes out with a statement or anything. I'm getting to the end of my willingness to invest time and angst into this situation, though, so I won't be trying for any more replacements.

I'd encourage those of you with multiple bad units to contact the tech news outlet of your choice (Engadget/Gizmodo/etc), and to post the pics to Amazon's customer images for the product. I know there is a certain segment of internet posters who think this is all an overreaction, but if I was a new, uninformed buyer informing myself, I would very much appreciate having this info available. (And if I had waited a week, wouldn't have bothered buying one.)