Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Entering the Kobo app password was VERY frustrating

Note to Kobo staff.

A very nice feature is the optional ability to view your password when logging into a WiFi network. My WiFi password is a pass phrase and is about 20 characters long so that's very nice.

BUT the Kobo app password screen displayed only the last character for a moment. Almost all my passwords are 20 characters long, randomly generated with upper and lower case characters and digits, and stored in the open source KeePass utility. (I have no idea what my banking, Facebook, this website or other websites passwords are because they're all stored in KeePass and entered at the webpage login with a few keystrokes.)

So now I had to labouriously enter each character and watch it for a second to verify. I could not wait until the end and then verify the entire string. I had to re-enter the Kobo desktop app password three times before I got it right.

So please give us the ability to view the entire password as we re-enter it.

(Hmm, I have to see what the experience is like when entering the password at a browser screen. <shudder>)
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
If you go into the settings you can set the passwords to always show. This won't help when you are doing the initial setup but will help after that.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
That isn't really Kobo's fault, that is the standard for Android.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Note to Kobo staff.

A very nice feature is the optional ability to view your password when logging into a WiFi network. My WiFi password is a pass phrase and is about 20 characters long so that's very nice.

BUT the Kobo app password screen displayed only the last character for a moment. Almost all my passwords are 20 characters long, randomly generated with upper and lower case characters and digits, and stored in the open source KeePass utility.
Eww. You really should fix that. http://xkcd.com/936/ might play it for humor, but it *is* pretty much true...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Eww. You really should fix that. http://xkcd.com/936/ might play it for humor, but it *is* pretty much true...
I should fix what? Random passwords? No, they're great except in this situation where my password manager doesn't have software that runs on the secondary device.

With a different random password at every website there is no way that a hacker can use one password of mine to access data at any other website.
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
I should fix what? Random passwords? No, they're great except in this situation where my password manager doesn't have software that runs on the secondary device.

With a different random password at every website there is no way that a hacker can use one password of mine to access data at any other website.
The tl;dr point of the xkcd comic is, length is more important than randomness. Using a simple, easy to remember phrase and padding it out to 20 characters is just as effective and not all the brain ache of randomly generated ones.

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist

So you're suggesting I use a common password for all/many websites? No. Not a chance.

Even if I was to create a standard append initials based on the website and on the common pass phrase that would be quite impractical too because I couldn't remember them. And they would likely be too easy to crack.

That is
the sun is shining fb for Facebook and
the sun is shining mr for Mobileread?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
If you go into the settings you can set the passwords to always show. This won't help when you are doing the initial setup but will help after that.
I did (was didn't) but it didn't make a difference.

Last edited by TonyToews; 10-30-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 10-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
I didn't but it didn't make a difference.
I left mine stock so I am not sure if it is working or not. I know that it worked on my Android phone that was running 2.3.3. Perhaps Kobo has disabled it or it might be a bug in the version they are running.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote