Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
As of today 99 Euros are around $134. That seems to be enough to sell the T3S to Europe. The PW2 is 129 EUR today. It seem as if the rest of the world has to finance the overly cheap PWs in the US. Or that Europeans like to pay more. Hmm. Other conclusions?
hansl
Euro prices also include VAT do they not? That's at least part of the higher cost in Europe.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Euro prices also include VAT do they not? That's at least part of the higher cost in Europe.
True, but even without the VAT content the T3 still costs the equivalent of $133 here in the UK.

From what has been said here it seems to me that to be competitive in the US it would need to sell at less than the magic $100 mark.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
True, but even without the VAT content the T3 still costs the equivalent of $133 here in the UK.

From what has been said here it seems to me that to be competitive in the US it would need to sell at less than the magic $100 mark.
Hard to guess, but being Sony I think they would have priced it $119 or $129 here if they'd offered it. There are very few devices that sell for below the $100 mark.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Hard to guess, but being Sony I think they would have priced it $119 or $129 here if they'd offered it. There are very few devices that sell for below the $100 mark.
Agreed. The Kindle Paperwhite is $119 ($139 without adverts) and the Nook Glowlight is $119. Looks like the Kobo Aura is $150 on the Kobo website.

There may be no T3 in the US this year, but the rest of the globe may discover there is no T4 anywhere next year.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
There may be no T3 in the US this year, but the rest of the globe may discover there is no T4 anywhere next year.
Provocative, but true. They've been in the ereader market since 1991, too.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Provocative, but true. They've been in the ereader market since 1991, too.
The Librie came out in 2004 (Japan only) & PRS-500 in 2006. What reader device did they offer before that?

The earliest eReaders I can think of are the Rocket & SoftBook and those are from 1998ish.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Librie came out in 2004 (Japan only) & PRS-500 in 2006. What reader device did they offer before that?

The earliest eReaders I can think of are the Rocket & SoftBook and those are from 1998ish.
"I read it on the internet..."

The CNN Money article is what I was remembering; they count the Sony Data Discman as a precursor to present-day ereaders. The article is still online.

Quote:
E-books available at the time included Compton's Concise Encylopedia, Wellness Encyclopedia and Passport's World Travel Translator. The King James Bible and a year-in-review disc of USA Today were also available.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Hopefully, since I just bought a T3S there is no need for another reader for the next 3 years at least
Well, if Amazon supports epub and ADE soon and drops this disturbing light, maybe I change my mind.
Just kidding, I also fear it might well be so.

Last edited by hansl; 11-04-2013 at 03:50 PM.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Hopefully, since I just bought a T3S there is no need for another reader for the next 3 years at least
Well, if Amazon supports epub and ADE soon and drops this disturbing light, maybe I change my mind.
Just kidding, I also fear it might well be so.
I am starting to think so too.

I like Sony the best, but I could live with most of the available readers. Don't want to, but won't lose any sleep over it either. I'm probably more upset that Braun has abandoned the North American market in kitchen appliances. Still life as I know it hasn't changed that much just because I cannot get exactly what I want.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #25
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Thankfully my trusty 650 is still going strong.

When that finally dies I will not bother with a replacement eReader as I find my iPad Mini to be fine for reading.

Still it's sad to see Sony slowly abandoning this market - unfortunately in most people's mind eReaders are Kindles. Kobo's are slowly getting to be more popular here in the UK, but Sony has just about disappeared from the high-street stores - in fact the only place to buy a T3 as far as I can tell is direct from a Sony Store.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #26
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Still it's sad to see Sony slowly abandoning this market - unfortunately in most people's mind eReaders are Kindles. Kobo's are slowly getting to be more popular here in the UK, but Sony has just about disappeared from the high-street stores - in fact the only place to buy a T3 as far as I can tell is direct from a Sony Store.
On the few occasions people have commented when I've been reading on my 350 they always ask if it's a Kindle and look at me strangely when I say it's a Sony. And you are right about Sony disappearing from the high street, none of the shops who sell more than one brand stock Sony's now. Kobo seems to be the main competitor to the Kindle, Nook is only there because they discounted so heavily, not sure they will last either.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
On the few occasions people have commented when I've been reading on my 350 they always ask if it's a Kindle and look at me strangely when I say it's a Sony. And you are right about Sony disappearing from the high street, none of the shops who sell more than one brand stock Sony's now. Kobo seems to be the main competitor to the Kindle, Nook is only there because they discounted so heavily, not sure they will last either.
It's been moving in that direction for a while from what I've seen here in the US. The local Best Buy stocks and displays ereaders, and the T-1 was there two years ago but no one seemed to look at it. The Sony display model wasn't even working whereas the Kindles and Nooks were. It irked me but everyone was interested in the Kindles.

Recently I saw that a local Christian bookstore stocks only Kobos.

Kodak invented the digital camera but is now out of business largely because of it. So it goes.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Kodak invented the digital camera but is now out of business largely because of it. So it goes.
I realize this is a sidetrack from the thread, sorry, but Kodak was poor management. They insisted that the world was flat while all around them evidence was pouring in to the contrary.

Nothing will ever be a substitute for film and its various nuances of light and shadow as far as I'm concerned but them not moving to digital alongside their film line was a slow, painful suicide. IMO
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

Maybe, but Monday morning quarterbacking is always an easy job.