Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Suddenly cratered!!

My Sony PRS 505 has been flawless for a year or two.

Suddenly I noticed the battery was draining fast. Then I tried to delete a book and the <mark> button was non-responsive in the final step to delete the book.

I then realized that the <mark> button also would no longer mark any pages.

I reset my 505 but nothing improved. A full recharge also was not helpful.

Then I realized the on/off button would not shut down my unit.

The Sony help folks via telephone had no clues.

My 505 is now on the way to Sony in Laredo for repairs...hopefully with some success.

If not, should I replace my 505 with a 600 or 900?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I've been considering the same question and am leaning towards the 600, since I found the size for the 505 to be a good compromise between portability and readability (have also been considering the 300, but _really_ want annotation).

AIUI, All the 900 affords is larger screen size and wireless connectivity --- the former is an odd proportion for most of my usages, so not helpful to me, and I'm not seeing many scenarios where the latter would suit my needs --- YMMV.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
am leaning towards the 600
Will, Yes, so am I...should it become necessary. I hope Sony repairs my 505, though.

I thought about buying a used 505 since there are really no new ones available in any quantity, but given the sudden failure of mine and the problems being occasionally reported here, buying a used one seems to be an unwise strategy.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
People complaining of difficulties w/ a 505 area minority of the users.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
People complaining of difficulties w/ a 505 area minority of the users.
Will, Agreed! But I'm still perplexed by the sudden failure of mine when I know for a fact that it has NEVER suffered any kind of trauma.
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Suddenly I noticed the battery was draining fast. Then I tried to delete a book and the <mark> button was non-responsive in the final step to delete the book.

I then realized that the <mark> button also would no longer mark any pages.

I reset my 505 but nothing improved. A full recharge also was not helpful.

Then I realized the on/off button would not shut down my unit.
Did you use a wall charger to charge it? It would have been nice to know if it worked while on a charger. It sounds as if there might be a battery problem.

Quote:
If not, should I replace my 505 with a 600 or 900?
At this point HarryT has me leaning toward a Bebook Neo. The touchscreen is beneath the readers screen so it doesn't reduce contrast like the 600. I'm 51 and I need as bright and clear image as I can get.

The Nook seems as if it will have a large hacking community so it will be interesting how it grows and what new features get added in.

Right now my 505 w/PRS+ is great (knock on wood).

I hope your device is repaired quickly.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Did you use a wall charger to charge it? It would have been nice to know if it worked while on a charger. It sounds as if there might be a battery problem.
D, Yes, while I normally use a USB charger, I made it a point to try the wall charger which was no help.

I have always thought the 505 would not work while plugged into a charger; otherwise, I would have tried that.

I also suspect a battery problem...hopefully!

I started to buy a back up 505 a few months ago but decided I was not comfortable with it just sitting around, to its probably detriment.

We'll see!!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I have always thought the 505 would not work while plugged into a charger; otherwise, I would have tried that.

I also suspect a battery problem...hopefully!
The 505 works normally when plugged into a wall charger through the yellow round power input. While a bad or shorted out battery might prevent this I was curious if it responded at all while plugged in.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard

Good news so far!

After 1 week at the Laredo Sony Repair Center, the online advisory page for my repair told me to call for details. I called and was informed that they had repaired my 505 by replacing the power unit and the battery.

They are sending me my repaired unit with a 90-day warranty on the repair. I should receive it in 2 - 3 days.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but the results and fast turn-around are most pleasing... especially since I apparently get to keep my 505!!!