Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
ancker
ancker began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Hello. . .new PRS300

Just want to check in and say hello. Got a Sony prs 300 for my BD. Now I need to shop for accessories. If anyone has suggestions about a good place on-line to shop I’d appreciate the advice.
ancker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I would suggest a PSP charger so you can charge from a wall outlet. Lots of threads on charging which probably won't hurt to read (but take up lots of time) but to make a long story short - the mini USB cable will charge from the USB port on the computer in addition to transferring books, but to charge from a wall outlet you need to use the round hole. Seems like the majority try the mini USB with a wall adapter and that doesn't charge it.

Also, I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the Sony cover with the built in light. Works good on night flights.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I bought a nice leather M-Edge case for mine...really like it, great quality.
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
weirichk
weirichk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
I bought a case and then returned it because I found the included slip cover worked well for me. The two accessories I have are:
1. a book light so I can read at night. I bought a cheap $10 clip on designed for regular books but it works fine for the sony.
2. a PSP charger (I got mine for $8 at Best Buy). The reader requires a "host mode" charger (i.e. mimics a computer) and most USB chargers don't have that feature. You can buy a sony reader charger for $25 or a PSP (Play Station Portable) charger for $8, both of which will do the job. Search this forum for model numbers.

-Kurt
weirichk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post

Also, I'm probably in the minority here, but I love the Sony cover with the built in light. Works good on night flights.
I like it as well - I have a white Sony cover for regular use, but the cover with the light works really well for low/no light situations. I was concerned that it would be too bulky, and naturally it is a bit bigger and heavier than the regular cover, but it's well-designed.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
My experience is a bit different with the case/light combo. I found the light too weak for my poor old eyes..... I returned it and got the regular case. Case is perfect, and I can still carry the 300 in a coat pocket. For a light I picked up one for $8.99 at Target and it works perfect. I clip it on the case and can read comfortably anywhere. For some the Sony combo case is enough, but for many a smaller case and after market light is a better set up. Heck, do what I did, buy the combo case and if it doesn't work out just return it.

I am very please with the 300, glad I did not spend more for the 600 since the 300 does everything I need....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
ancker

Thanks much for these suggestions, I think I'll try a clip-on first. I found my HP docking station will charge from one of it's USB ports with my laptop turned off.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I STRONGLY recommend getting a PSP charger or a power/data cable. They're very cheap, and are the only thing you should use to charge the Readers. Be careful charging from a usb port--it may actually DRAIN your battery. This really happens.

I also bit the bullet and got the Sony stock cover that fits in the little holes along the spine. It is compact, handy and has the magnets to hold the cover closed. I like the similar 500 and 505 covers, so I splurged. I really don't like the M-Edge covers--corner straps are cheeezy and they tend to cover some control button. I can't even give away my unused M-Edge cover (black leather), which I put my Reader in once and decided quickly that I far prefer the stock Sony covers.

BTW, PSP power/data cables are available online at dealextreme for under $5, shipped.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
ancker

I received a Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 that I ordered from Amazon today. It works better than I expected and matches my Reader (silver). My curiosity will probably lead me to buy the Sony cover with light at some point.

I ordered a PSP AC Adapter at DealExtreme (thanks DrMoze). Thanks again to all for the helpful suggestions.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
My PRS300-accesories are the standard leather(like?) cover and a might bright travelflex.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
pdp21stcentury
pdp21stcentury began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
My favourite accessory is a length of particularly fine Piano wire so I can simultaneously strangle and garrotte myself because the damn thing wont allow DRM protected content (Prs-300 piece of S&$t)
pdp21stcentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp21stcentury View Post
My favourite accessory is a length of particularly fine Piano wire so I can simultaneously strangle and garrotte myself because the damn thing wont allow DRM protected content (Prs-300 piece of S&$t)
Yea, umm good luck with that. Sorry you are having problems with the 300, but I'm sure there will be many thousands of users that will refute the piece of crap statement, myself being one.

No piano wire in this house
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
None in mine either. Still loving my 300 after 3 months
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote