Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
hermitscr
hermitscr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iphone
Do books that aren't purchased from amazon sync across devices?

I have a book loaded on my kindle and on the kindle app. I can't get the last page read to sync. Is it only amazon purchased books that sync?

Thanks!
hermitscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Normally, yes. If, however, you do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion in Calibre, this will add the appropriate data to the file to allow it to sync its current position, although it won't sync bookmarks, annotation, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
hermitscr
hermitscr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Normally, yes. If, however, you do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion in Calibre, this will add the appropriate data to the file to allow it to sync its current position, although it won't sync bookmarks, annotation, etc.
Great thanks, I'll try that
hermitscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
If the mobi-to-mobi conversion in Calibre doesn't work, check to make sure that you don't still have the book open on the other device. I'm not sure about this, but it seems that the 'last page read' notation may not get sent until you close the book.
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You have to manually put the file on every device you want to read it on (and sync with) after you've done the mobi-to-mobi conversion anyway, so it shouldn't really matter if the book is open or not.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really????

It will sync back to Amazon

(I may have learned something new today )
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I have one book, purchased from the Kindle store, that refuses to sync between devices. Even the menu selection to do so is greyed out. I read the book, but it was annoying that it wouldn't sync. I'm so spoiled by my Kindle!
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
I have one book that is refusing to sync also. It will sync between my Fire, iPhone and iPad, but not my Kindle 4. I have tried everything... not sure what's going on!
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinev View Post
I have one book that is refusing to sync also. It will sync between my Fire, iPhone and iPad, but not my Kindle 4. I have tried everything... not sure what's going on!
Is it a K4 Touch? My other devices won't sync if the Touch is the furthest ahead....but my Touch will sync if another device is the furthest ahead. very annoying.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
Wow, that's strange. No, it's non-touch. I'll have to try that and see if it will work. I think it's just the book. All other books sync fine.

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote