Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
New and torn: Kindle 2 or Nook????

Hello there,

Glad I stumbled onto this website today! I'm from Ohio and I love to travel, so I'd really like to get an ereader instead of carrying around books! I am very impressed with what I have read on this site so far. Here's hoping you all can help me!

Not only am I a new poster, but after reading through so many of the threads I feel like I am more confused than ever and on information overload! I was all set to purchase a Kindle, then I received an email about the Nook. On paper the Nook looks great. But will it be good in reality? Should I hold out a while longer until some reviewers get their hands on a Nook??

What I want:
I want to be able to purchase and read fiction bestsellers and new releases

I want to be able to load (either straight up or thru conversion) PDF articles I need for my job (psychologist)

I want to be able to read library books (either through sideways loading, rigged conversion, whatever, as long as it works)

What I like the idea of:
text to speech
color
ergonomic/easy to hold
wi-fi
international usage.

So, I know some of these features favor Kindle, others favor Nook. Or am I missing the boat on another, better item? I like the pricepoint of these readers and can't spend a lot more.

What do I do?!?!? Help please!

Kerry

Last edited by Delia575; 11-30-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Kerry and welcome to MobileRead. I would definitely advise waiting for the Nook to come out. I was all set to buy the Sony 500 but ended up waiting for the 505 and am really glad I did.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
petrona
petrona began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Kerry, if you are interested in an international ereader that would be the new kindle2i. Which was its newest update now does pdfs natively. I would sugest going to the amazon kindle forum and getting more indepth information about what the kindle is capable of. Bufo Calvin is the to go to guy when it comes the kindle1,kindle2 and kindledx. I myself am the owner of a kindle2 and a sony 505 but perfer the kindle overall.
petrona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Tish
Tish began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, I am new to Mobileread. I am interested in buying a reader. The more research I do the more confused I am getting.

Does anyone know how much it cost to replace the battery in the Kindle 2. What is the life of the battery.
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tish, you might want to post that question over in the Kindle section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

Also, take a look at the Which One Should I Buy section
Old 12-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish View Post
Hi, I am new to Mobileread. I am interested in buying a reader. The more research I do the more confused I am getting.

Does anyone know how much it cost to replace the battery in the Kindle 2. What is the life of the battery.
If the battery become defective within the first year of ownership it will be replaced for free under the warranty. If the battery goes bad after the warranty expires, it will cost $59 to replace by sending it in to Amazon (there are no other alternatives at this time but there could be in the future).

All Kindle 2s are less than 1 year old and I'm not aware of any major battery issues. Mine is 10 months old and is working just fine.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead.

Something you might want to consider.......Amazon has a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy.....you just pay the postage. You can play with it to your hearts content, download books, see how it works for you, and you are only out postage if you don't like it.

BN has a 10% restocking fee.......comes out to about $25.

Amazons customer service for the Kindle is outstanding......

Refurbished k2's can be gotten for $219, full warranty, free two day shipping, fulfilled by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

We have some pretty knowledgeable members here, also.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Kerry, I did get my hands on a Nook over the weekend and was impressed. Recommend you find a B&N store and look it over. Problem is, the delivery on these is now in February.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The question you have to ask yourself.. which is the lesser of two evils? B&N or Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The question you have to ask yourself.. which is the lesser of two evils? B&N or Amazon.
Neither.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 AM   #11
Delia575
Inexorably Curious
Delia575 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I went ahead and purchased a Kindle 2. So far I really love it. I wanted something now and I am glad that I just went for it. Some folks from this site have helped me figure out usage issues, and so far it is smooth sailing! I would like to see a Nook eventually, but the Kindle seems to meet my needs at this point.
Delia575 is offline   Reply With Quote