Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
Windows driver

How do I install the Windows driver for the 0.1 release? I use an XP and a Vista computer, and am using the wonderful OpenInkpot for a new EZ Reader.

I see the linux.inf file, but can't find instructions for installing it. I've never installed a driver manually before, and Windows doesn't know what to do.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I'm not using Windows anymore, but if I'm not mistaken, you should be presented with a "driver install wizard" once you connect the device. If my memory serves me right, you should get the option to select the correct driver for that device at some point, at which point you just point the wizard to the .inf-file.

Maybe it's also possible to install via a right-click option, but I'm not quite sure.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
I'm not using Windows anymore, but if I'm not mistaken, you should be presented with a "driver install wizard" once you connect the device. If my memory serves me right, you should get the option to select the correct driver for that device at some point, at which point you just point the wizard to the .inf-file.

Maybe it's also possible to install via a right-click option, but I'm not quite sure.
Yes, I tried the "install new hardware" wizard that comes up automatically. Even when I tell the wizard to look in a folder called "driver" that has nothing in it but the file linux.inf, it won't choose it. Nor does it find it when I tell it to search my hard drive. So I'm stuck.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
Yes, I tried the "install new hardware" wizard that comes up automatically. Even when I tell the wizard to look in a folder called "driver" that has nothing in it but the file linux.inf, it won't choose it. Nor does it find it when I tell it to search my hard drive. So I'm stuck.
Is there a particular reason that you want to install the driver? AFAIK, the only reason for the driver is use SSH in Windows to access the Linux OS in OI, and you need to install more than just the driver to do that. I tried it on Windows some months back and it did not work for me in any case. I just use a Linux PC when I want to access the Linux OS in OI.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So far as I know, SSH from Windows is not working. Use a SD card reader to transfer files, or install the OI-on-SD version on top of a standard firmware (which can be used to export the SD card when you are connected to a PC).
Old 07-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Is there a particular reason that you want to install the driver? AFAIK, the only reason for the driver is use SSH in Windows to access the Linux OS in OI, and you need to install more than just the driver to do that. I tried it on Windows some months back and it did not work for me in any case. I just use a Linux PC when I want to access the Linux OS in OI.
I wanted to install the driver so I could copy/paste files into the Reader when I connected the USB cable.

I don't know what SSH means & don't have a linux computer.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
So far as I know, SSH from Windows is not working. Use a SD card reader to transfer files, or install the OI-on-SD version on top of a standard firmware (which can be used to export the SD card when you are connected to a PC).
Yes, I just used the SD card. But I also switched the firmware from OI to the latest Pixelar version, which is much, much more stable & functional than the original Astak firmware.

But I like OI quite a lot & will put it on the SD card. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
I wanted to install the driver so I could copy/paste files into the Reader when I connected the USB cable.

I don't know what SSH means & don't have a linux computer.
That is NOT what the driver is for.

Check the last section on this page for what the linux.inf is intended for.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/SSHAccess
Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That is NOT what the driver is for.

Check the last section on this page for what the linux.inf is intended for.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/SSHAccess
If there's an explanation of what linux.inf is intended for on that page, I'm unable to decipher it. Sorry.

In any case, I assume this means there's no way for a normal Windows computer and OI to talk to one another.

Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if these things were written in plain English for the non-programmers among us? Or if there was at least a notice telling non-programmers that OI is not for them, at least not yet?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
vdevan
vdevan began at the beginning.

Device: BEBook
Actually I had problems connecting with 0.1 version of OI. However with the beta snapshot of OI (0.2) it works without issues. You can than download putty for connecting to OI through SSH. It is simple and easy to use.