Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #901
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You are understating things.

When the primary function of a reading device (reading) is adversely affected (much slower page turns), that is a major problem. There are so many small things we all continue to deal with, but something as simple as a page turn should be right every release. If they can't get it right, allow the user some supported way to revert.
Slower page turns, yes, but not to the point that usability is significantly affected. We're talking one or two seconds per turn, at least in my experience.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #902
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Slower page turns, yes, but not to the point that usability is significantly affected. We're talking one or two seconds per turn, at least in my experience.
Ereaders and ebooks are supposed to replace real paper books. Any time something is easier/faster to do on a real book, then they are failing. The biggest problem with slow page turns is the lack of initial response.

If they would make it do _something_ instantly, then the long wait for the actual turn would be acceptable, but to leave the user wondering if they actually asked for a page turn or not, is bad programming, and ruins the user experience, especially if they press again, and end up with a double turn.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #903
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Ereaders and ebooks are supposed to replace real paper books. Any time something is easier/faster to do on a real book, then they are failing. The biggest problem with slow page turns is the lack of initial response.

If they would make it do _something_ instantly, then the long wait for the actual turn would be acceptable, but to leave the user wondering if they actually asked for a page turn or not, is bad programming, and ruins the user experience, especially if they press again, and end up with a double turn.
Yes: I totally agree with your comments, jusmee. OK, it was always possible to turn two pages on a real book, but one would hope that technology would make it less, rather than more, likely! The Jetbook (I know I keep going on about it, but it did have some of these things sorted) at least turned the activity LED, which was in a place where it could be seen*, on when it registered a page turn. The Kobo, with its very discrete LED, might do this, but I have no way of telling without making an effort. (I've just looked - it doesn't).

* It was visible to the point that it was annoying! I kept the SD card/usb connector cover open most of the time, tucked under the elastic of the protector, because it covered most of the LED that way.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #904
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
The Kobo, with its very discrete LED, might do this, but I have no way of telling without making an effort. (I've just looked - it doesn't).
The LED lights when the USB is connected and the device is restarting. I can't remember the meaning of each colour, but there was a post a few months ago with them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #905
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Thanks David. I've seen those (blue and green, and understand there is a red as well), but just wondered if there was an 'activity light' when changing pages.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #906
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Well, I don't exactly turn the pages of real books lightning fast, so it hasn't bothered me. My wife is a little more annoyed by it, but then she can read like a maniac (it's not usual for her to finish an average length novel in an hour), but even then it's a minor annoyance at worst.

I'm not saying it doesn't need to be fixed and that I wouldn't appreciate faster page turns, but you guys are acting like your Kobos are all but useless because of it.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #907
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm not saying it doesn't need to be fixed and that I wouldn't appreciate faster page turns, but you guys are acting like your Kobos are all but useless because of it.
I think the issue falls into two categories:

Lack of feedback, especially for those who have issues with the Touch not registering touches.

You are physically doing something while turning a real page, which (probably) makes a psychological difference when you judge the time.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #908
osakanataro
osakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch
kobo touch firmware v2.1.1 release in Japan.
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.1.1.zip
osakanataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #909
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
As I've said, I don't have this problem, but I have experienced it with a previous reader. Yes, if it is a relaible length of time, it is possible to work around it by starting the page turn earlier, but that tends towards feeling rushed to get to the bottom before the turn happens, so that there aren't two slow page turns (one back, one forward).

There also seems to be a matter of degree - some (me and you, possibly, because you don't seem to be experiencing the same teeth-gnashing frustration ) are not badly, or at all, affected by this. Others seem to be afflicted with page turn times of several seconds. And it isn't the same as physically turning a paper page. You can (and probably do) adjust your turn rate to what is going on in whatever you are reading. I find myself with the page half-turned when it gets exciting, so that the interruption of page turning is minimised (remember a physical page turn is a more continuous process: by bending the paper or turning the book, you can see to the end even when the page is almost half turned). E-books lack this, and probably always will, and it takes just a little bit of the experience of reading away. It is much worse when you have no control over the page turn at all - it can ruin the whole experience.

I would say an e-book reader with a lag of more than a second on page turns *is* useless.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 08-26-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #910
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakanataro View Post
Thanks!
Quick check.
The release notes say: 1. better WIFI connection 2. better handling of comics and manga.

1. I've never had any problems with WIFI
2. The CBR/CBZ landscape viewing bug still exists (in landscape mode it displays only the bottom part of the page, and panning to see the top is not possible)

- "settings" went to top-right, "find" to top-left
- hyphens only words longer than 10 characters (in english)

It seems every other bugs also remain (slow page turn, previous cover bug, pdf bug, diacritics only in Georgia font)
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #911
Dipsomaniac
Dipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakanataro View Post
I can't speak to any problems with shelves or the like yet but page turns are very fast for me on this; I reverted back to 1.9.17 from the earlier versions of 2 because turns were so slow. The 2.1.1 firmware feels as fast as 1.9.17.

Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 08-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Dipsomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #912
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I just gave it a quick try and noticed quite a few changes. The page turns on epubs are faster, the clock now appears for a second when you bring tap the middle of a page while reading (it is replaced by the percentage read) so you don't need 2 taps to see the time (which I gather was an unpopular change). Also, the setting button has found its way to the right of the page and is now 3 lines rather than a gear wheel. I suspect the positioning might be because the search and settings buttons were close together so it was easy to hit the wrong one. I had also downgraded to 1.9.17, but this fixes all the reasons I had for downgrading, and I am quite chuffed to be honest.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #913
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The page turns are much faster than in 2.0.0 - even with the hyphenation active it's fast again.

But there's a bug I believe is new. Or at least I didn't encounter it with 2.0.0.

When navigating to a bookmark (select "show on page" from the menu) the upper menu bar stays and won't go away when tapping on the screen. The pages turn, but the bar stays.

You have to open another menu (for example swipe down to open the annotation/hightlight etc. menu) and close that to get rid of the upper menu bar.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #914
vorchan
vorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it is

Is the problem with sideloaded fonts still present in v2.1.1?

That's the biggest reason I had to switch back to 1.9.17 and I would be very happy if it's fixed now, I really love the new features in 2.x.x firmware and the other bugs don't bother me.
vorchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #915
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorchan View Post
Is the problem with sideloaded fonts still present in v2.1.1?
Unfortunately yes. Sideloaded fonts still look rather awful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
[...] the clock now appears for a second when you bring tap the middle of a page while reading (it is replaced by the percentage read) so you don't need 2 taps to see the time (which I gather was an unpopular change).
I didn't even notice that since the clock disappears so fast. So thanks.

Quote:
Also, the setting button has found its way to the right of the page and is now 3 lines rather than a gear wheel. I suspect the positioning might be because the search and settings buttons were close together so it was easy to hit the wrong one.
I liked the gear better, though - but that's really not important at all.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote