Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I think he's reaching on some features, but then again that's the great thing about choices. One had the option to user them or not.

The ability to change keyboard is very underplaid, to me that is one of the best features on the android platform.

I can understand for folks that just surf or play games on there devices these features may not seem like much, but for folks that use their devices for productivity they are huge.
I fully agree on the keyboards. I use different ones for different languages and situations.

But for me widgets and home screen setup are the most important. Even though widgets are an old hat, WM 6 had them, too, once you have used an iphone for a period of time (I survived 4 months, cursing myself virtually every day) and had to go through an endless series of clicks to do even the simplest things like switching WiFi on and off --- 6 clicks!! --- you really appreciate Android's efficiency.

iOS is too fixated on making everything so easy that a 3-year-old can use it without a manual, thus making things very cumbersome for the experienced user. And you cannot optimize it yourself.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #17
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I switched from an iPhone (3g), to an Android phone (HTC Desire). After 6 months i switched back. I fully believe that in a year or so Android will just be completely awesome, but, for me at least, it isn't now.

These are all 'for me'
The phone part of an iPhone just works a lot better.
General usability
Stability - my HTC was in no ways a dog, but it was nowhere near as stable as my iPhone.
Ecosystem - i like having the same apps on my tablet (i was given an iPad, but i also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab), as on my phone. For me I find the apple app store is just better at that.
I like that if there is an update, I know it is available. With my Android it was a case of whether HTC would get round to updating it.
I like that my phone syncs nicely with my computer (I use a Mac, and the i devices do just sync very nicely)

On Android - i love widgets and alternate keyboards. These two are, for me, where Android far surpasses IOS.
The iPhone / iPad UI is, to be honest, boring as f*ck. But that is quite possibly a good thing.

I assume Android stability gets better with every release.
Once tablets are more mature with Android, I assume they will surpass the iPad. (NOTE - i'd never buy another samsung Android device, in my opinion the galaxy tab *is* a dog. I hate it) In fact - I'm looking forward to having a phone, a small tablet, and a big tablet, all on Android, with a stable ecosystem.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Awesome: causing a feeling of reverential wonder or dread.

To anyone for whom a slide-out keyboard causes a feeling of reverential wonder or dread, I can only say "you need to get out more".

Last edited by HarryT; 05-22-2011 at 04:50 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
I switched from an iPhone (3g), to an Android phone (HTC Desire). After 6 months i switched back.
The flip side of the article that inspired the first post:

Top 10 Ways iOS Outdoes Android
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #20
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
The flip side of the article that inspired the first post:

Top 10 Ways iOS Outdoes Android
For #8 there's "Where's My Droid" which is also free. I use it all the time thanks to my 2yr old who always manages to hide my phone after putting it on silent.

I'm not anti-Apple or anything, just pointing something out.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #21
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I'm not anti-Apple or anything,
Me either. I enjoy both worlds.

Thanks. I think the best of each side will eventually make it into both platforms.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #22
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
im my opinion both android os and apple os have strengths and weaknesses and have thier place.
It just amazes me the effors both the android fanboys and the apple worshipers go to prove they are "better". you see it in the automotive industry but not quite as zealous as the adroid vs apple fight. Its sad really, you cant see an article about either software system without some type of apple or android attack calling the article writer names and the need to prove thier systems superiority.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote