Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #136
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
Right up until the iPad Mini was announced I was all set to buy one of the front-lit readers. I've already got a Sony 350 so the über-small shove-it-in-my-pocket device is covered. Got my iPad yesterday and I love it, it's a lot more portable than my iPad 3. For me the sacrifice of the retina screen is more than offset by the smaller size and lighter weight.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #137
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
Just spent about two hours reading on my iPad mini - love it as an e-reader. I may never buy a Kindle again.
Me too actually. So much nicer to read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I read for an hour with the Kindle app, no eye strain and I didn't notice an pixelation. I need a skin for the slippery sucker though, so I can hold on and so it won't slide when I prop it up on my leg or a pillow.
I suggest the Smart Cover, so worth the price and is working great for me so far.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #138
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
Just spent about two hours reading on my iPad mini - love it as an e-reader. I may never buy a Kindle again.
Haha I like mini and will keep but I still prefer reading on my Sony PRS-950. I love the crispness of e-ink
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #139
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I bought the mini and love it. It'll be my primary reading device. I have read hours on it without any eye strain. I find the Kindle app text just as good as the Kindle.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #140
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
I just picked up the ipad mini and I really like it. I have had several e-ink readers from Sony and B&N but I've been using my ipad3 exclusively for the past several months while my nook simple tough glow has been gathering dust. The iPad mini will be my main reader. He nook goes on sale at craigslist omorow.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #141
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The ipad mini does, in fact, blend. Just not as well as the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UJlnbWOe_VQ
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #142
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The ipad mini does, in fact, blend. Just not as well as the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UJlnbWOe_VQ
I like Tom; he's one cool dude. He's actually the founder and CEO of Blendtec.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #143
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I'm very interested in the iPad Mini. Though I don't have an iPad, I do have an Asus Transformer and found it to be way too heavy to hold for reading for any length of time. Because of that, I actually have been using my iPhone 4S as my primary ebook reader.

I like that I can slide it into my scrub pocket at work and read for a few minutes on a break but I have to admit that I love the idea of the Mini.

I wish the price had been more competitive to the other ebook readers but it is an Apple.

There's an Apple store here so I might have to go there and actually do some hands on with the device.

So far, I know that no one has really found an effective way to sync their ebooks when they aren't purchased directly from places such as Amazon/Kindle. That is such a fantastic feature since I am not sure the Mini would fit in my scrub top pocket like the iPhone does. Syncing ebooks between devices is such a major want and nothing seems to work.

I have gotten my ebooks for many different areas and use Calibre to convert all my older ones into epub. They are stored on my computer (with several forms of backup to keep them safe), plus I do use DropBox.

I currently read books using ShuBook and really love that reader but I really want to be able to sync my ebooks between my iPhone and the Mini (if I get one). I don't mind loading the ebooks on 2 different devices but just wish I could read a book on one and then switch to the other device and have the same ebook open at the exact spot I had left off on the other device.

As for other uses for the Mini, I might use it to watch the occasional movie and I would play a few games on it as well as use it for email. I just need to get my hands on one to see how it feels in my hands but I really want to hear more from others who have it already!

Thanks,
Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #144
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I have the Mini - it is a wonderful device. Very portable ... and light!

I use the Kindle app on both my iPhone 4S and the Mini to sync my books. The cool part is that you can take books that you did NOT purchase from Amazon and send them to your personal documents up in Amazon's cloud. Then, you can sync them between devices with Whispersync. I sync almost daily between my iPhone and my Kindle - so I know it works a treat.

See this link for more details on Amazon's Personal Documents feature: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163465

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #145
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
So far, I know that no one has really found an effective way to sync their ebooks when they aren't purchased directly from places such as Amazon/Kindle.
Ebooks that aren't purchased from Amazon can be synced via Amazon's Personal Documents Service if you use the Kindle app on your iThings.

Last edited by Synamon; 11-10-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Mickey beat me to the punch.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #146
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh?

How is the Kindle reader for reading? Also, one of my super major needs in an ebook reader is the ability to sort the ebooks in the order I load them.

I read books in a specific order and need that feature, too. I had tried other readers and ShuBooks was one that has that feature which is why I use it as my primary ebook reading program.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #147
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle app isn't as customizable as some, but I like it.

The sort choices are recent, title, or author. I suppose you could arrange the ebooks in the order you want by downloading them in reverse order to the device and using the recent sort. Things will get jumbled eventually since anything you click on will move to the top of the list and new books you add will show up at the top. If you need to sort by series, plugboards in calibre should be able to help you.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #148
Shykat
Groupie

eeerrrggghhh. I hate that. I don't mind sort by Recent it it means sort by date.

To me, it's such a simple request but very few ereading programs offer that feature and it's an absolute MUST for me.

Nope, it's not sorting by series that I need. I usually like to read a long book... say the first book in a series, then read a shorter book or two, then the next book in a series, then a shorter book, etc.

::sigh:: I would love the sync feature but NEED the sort by DATE.

ShuBooks labels it as USER and they have the older books at the bottom, newer ones at the top and they do NOT change the position of the ebook you currently are reading.

That's the feature that I NEED most for the way I read my books. ::grumbling in frustration:: Syncing books is my second major request when it comes to an ebook reader. I think it's the OCD in me.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #149
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
eeerrrggghhh. I hate that. I don't mind sort by Recent it it means sort by date.

To me, it's such a simple request but very few ereading programs offer that feature and it's an absolute MUST for me.

Nope, it's not sorting by series that I need. I usually like to read a long book... say the first book in a series, then read a shorter book or two, then the next book in a series, then a shorter book, etc.

::sigh:: I would love the sync feature but NEED the sort by DATE.

ShuBooks labels it as USER and they have the older books at the bottom, newer ones at the top and they do NOT change the position of the ebook you currently are reading.

That's the feature that I NEED most for the way I read my books. ::grumbling in frustration:: Syncing books is my second major request when it comes to an ebook reader. I think it's the OCD in me.
If the sort feature is that important to you, then maybe you should rename all your books beginning with ###-Title where ### is 000 through 999. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else ever get upset over the lack of sorting by "date the book was added" so don't expect many reading apps to offer it.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #150
Synamon
Lunatic

Pick your poison. I would think it easier to maintain a list of the order you want to read the books (using the Reading List plug in or just a manual list) and have the app automatically sync your book between devices as you are reading.