Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #46
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Unless you wanted to reread something there wouldn't be any need to redownload them for free onto the new reader, they would just remain in your archive on the new device and you could get them from there as needed.
I do re-read my books. And i like having all my book at hand, that is, on the reader memory. I have little trust in cloud thing. Woops ! no connexion. Wooops ! amazon's server are down.

When switching to ePub, i did convert all my books, even the ones i haven't re-read yet.

Quote:
Adobe can change its DRM and those using Adobe's drm will have to change or develop their own DRM. Adobe controls its DRM the same way Amazon controls its DRM. Different comapny, same end result.
I had forgotten that part of the process goes though adobe servers. On the other hand, amazon's user would be hardly pissed with amazon changing drm, amazon would be able to make sure things works. Because amazon also control the shop and e-reader as well as drm.

The people paying to use adobe drm would surely have a problem with adobe making a mess of things and telling them "update or die".
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #47
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I do re-read my books. And i like having all my book at hand, that is, on the reader memory. I have little trust in cloud thing. Woops ! no connexion. Wooops ! amazon's server are down.
I like having my books on my device as well, rather than in a cloud. Amazon and other book e-tailers offer that choice now: You can leave books in archive or keep them on your device.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #48
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I re-read all the time. All of my books are on my reader and easily accessible. I love collections. They are also on my computer and can be easily moved. Truthfully. in the 2 1/2 years since I started using a Kindle, I have not had a problem downloading a book.

I am glad that you like your device and that you like the security that comes with carrying a memory card. I am happy with my device that holds my 500 or so books and where I can download what I want from the archive from my desktop or using the whispernet.

I am not worried about losing my books. I am not worried about server failure. I am not worried about massive down time. (shrugs)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon and Adobe control the DRM. Either or both of them can decide to change the DRM.
But in order to do so, they would have to release updated firmware/software first so everyone can be on board for the change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #50
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Thank you... I have now managed to submit a webcase...
... and so they sent me an email asking me about the problem... I replied back, and yesterday they sent me another email, saying they hadn't heard from me...

Then I noticed I can't just reply to the email, it's a 'noreply' address... I can't see how else to reply...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #51
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
You need to comment directly on the web case ticket. Check the email.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #52
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
You need to comment directly on the web case ticket. Check the email.
Do you mean another way than answering the email?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #53
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
The email I got said:

Quote:
To respond to this update or review your case history, log in to the Adobe Support Portal online and look for your case number in the "recent activity" section. Should you need to send us additional information, you can do so by opening the case and submitting your update.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote