Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I think it's just a bad translation of the german version. ...
You should simply read the 3rd paragraph of the english article before the 2nd one, then it makes more sense.
Sadly, I do not know German, so I was not aware of that. Perhaps that false claim WAS an error in translation, or a false assumption by the translator.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It may be just my imagination, but I can scroll web pages about 90-95% now (i.e. more like 'page up, page down', with just a little overlap), whereas at some earlier time I could only scroll about 60%. Maybe someone could check this before and after they update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It may be just my imagination, but I can scroll web pages about 90-95% now (i.e. more like 'page up, page down', with just a little overlap), whereas at some earlier time I could only scroll about 60%. Maybe someone could check this before and after they update.
That depends on the size of the web page on most web browsers. For a fair (firmware difference) comparison, you need side-by-side comparisons of the SAME web page.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
At your provided link, it says: At this MobileRead thread it says:Interestingly, the video at the heise security announcement shows the VERY SAME web page provided in the MobileRead post.

So, did heise security actually HIRE MobileRead member mmatej, or was he already an employee of heise security when he made that web page, or is heise security claiming credit for somebody else's work (plagiarism)? Hmm...

So, WHO built that web jailbreak webpage then?
I am not affiliated with HS in any way. Could you send me link to the video where the web jailbreak page is shown? I can't find it on their pages. The last question is somewhat silly. "mmatej" (yes, it's me) has built the web jailbreak.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
I am not affiliated with HS in any way. Could you send me link to the video where the web jailbreak page is shown? I can't find it on their pages. The last question is somewhat silly. "mmatej" (yes, it's me) has built the web jailbreak.
Their video is NOT the same one I saw then they first announced this. They have updated the video to remove all identifying info, including blurring the URL and removing the image of the web jailbreak page. It was clearly your web page when I watched their posted video awhile back. This is all that remains: http://www.heise.de/video/artikel/Lu...h-1641625.html
Old 07-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Their video is NOT the same one I saw then they first announced this. They have updated the video to remove all identifying info, including blurring the URL and removing the image of the web jailbreak page. It was clearly your web page when I watched their posted video awhile back. This is all that remains: http://www.heise.de/video/artikel/Lu...h-1641625.html
I can't confirm it, but if you are right, then... just [edit - moderator] them all.

Last edited by dreams; 07-26-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: profane language edit - moderator
Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
I can't confirm it, but if you are right, then... just [edit - moderator] them all.
Well, there is a Russian web page containing screenshots taken from my "select boot" thread, and content from my "simple debricking method" thread. I took those screenshots from my own computer screen, then hand-edited them to fit the MobileRead page. That is why I started adding the CC-BY-SA license to all my new posts.

At least the blogs that link to heise security also link back to your MobileRead page. And the Russian page now has a linkback to my stuff too after I requested it (but no *real* credit given, and my name never mentioned).

Last edited by dreams; 07-26-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: edit quoted post to match edit of OP
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well, there is a Russian web page containing screenshots taken from my "select boot" thread, and content from my "simple debricking method" thread. I took those screenshots from my own computer screen, then hand-edited them to fit the MobileRead page. That is why I started adding the CC-BY-SA license to all my new posts.

At least the blogs that link to heise security also link back to your MobileRead page. And the Russian page now has a linkback to my stuff too after I requested it (but no *real* credit given, and my name never mentioned).
That's worse than my problem. I really hate plagiarising work with no credit given back to the original author. Have you tried sending them some reminder that it's your work and you don't want it there? If they are not "full idiots" they should at least credit you.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Whoa.

Sorry, but I need to defend heise here. I didn't see the original video, but if it's as geekmaster said, then they merely showed a video of how the jailbreak-kt.tk worked on the Kindle. That is called "customer service", because it may be interesting for people who don't own a Kindle (or who are too afraid to try it).

Also, nowhere did they claim that they discovered the vulnerability, or that they set up the Web jailbreak site. All sources are properly credited with links. I don't see any plagiarism in that - where do you?

Heise is, in fact, one of the few publishers in Germany who even go to court to defend information freedom. For instance, they fought (and won) a case where some folks tried to ban links from (online) press articles to external websites hosting hacking tools.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
geekmaster

I was going to add earlier (but decided not to), that we are reading an English translation of a German article about a demo given by heise security techs. And the video is watermarked by c't magazine (a popular german tech magazine). This information may have been edited or rewritten multiple times by multiple people, causing some factual errors to creep in. There may be errors in translation (as I mentioned in an earlier post). The article as written DOES give credit to previous works.

My memory MIGHT be faulty here, or they may have replaced the video, but I do "remember" (quite clearly) watching a similar video with more details (including the web jailbreak webpage) when I first read that article. This was discussed previously in another thread, as I recall...

Even if they did change the video, I never saw them claim SOLE credit for this work. Perhaps they changed the video to remove the web page image to avoid claims of infringement or plaigarism. I suspect that any errors can be attributed to the author of the web page that DESCRIBES what heise did, rather than accusing heise of doing anything wrong.

It would be nice though if the bloggers gave more credit to the discoverer of the flaw and to the author of the jailbreak web page. At least they provided a linkback and did acknowledge "prior art" in this case (as I mentioned previously). I do not consider that to be plagiarism. If they previously used a copy of the web jailbreak in their video, it is not there now (unlike the Russian web page that still contains my personal images).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-25-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
That is why I started adding the CC-BY-SA license to all my new posts.
I suspect you are already aware, but people like me that browse with Signatures and Avatars disabled in the Control Panel will never see that.

It does make the site a whole lot easier to read without all the extra "fluff".
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #27
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I suspect you are already aware, but people like me that browse with Signatures and Avatars disabled in the Control Panel will never see that.

It does make the site a whole lot easier to read without all the extra "fluff".
Ahh... So you prefer the "condensed" version of the website.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
dlcmdrx
dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Hi guys, do you know a link in amazons web page where we can post our suggestions id like to see a landscape mode for the web browser.
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmdrx View Post
Hi guys, do you know a link in amazons web page where we can post our suggestions id like to see a landscape mode for the web browser.
They have a feedback email address...

kindle-feedback@amazon.com
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote