Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #76
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you don't wish to use a "scan and destroy" service, then this obviously wouldn't be the service for you to choose.
Yes, yes, I was being a bit... facetious.

Yet... just a bit.

There are few absolutes in life, but...

Building walls is bad.
Building bridges is good.
Burning books is bad.

Cutting books? Not 'bad', but somehow sacrilegious.

More seriously.... I am sure this will appeal to some people, despite my kidding, I hail the initiative. Long live free markets, welcome choice.

But I'll be damned if I ever cut, or help cut, or pay for cutting, a book.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #77
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I've sent them three USPS flat rate boxes this week alone. Has come out to about $3 a book.

And they sent me coupons! I love this company so much I want to have its babies.

I LOVE my books. I love them so much I can't bear to be apart from them. But I also can't continue to store hundreds of out-of-print orphan works that will never, ever be e-published in my lifetime. Nor can I afford to rebuy all my books at the magic $9.99 price that publishers seem so keen on pushing for books that I can get for a penny + shipping at any used bookseller. And my health (bad back) simply cannot continue to lug around paper books like the life-ballast that they are for me.

Indeed, I'm going into surgery next year and I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to catching up with my old books that are in the process of being converted as we speak.

So -- very kindly -- if someone doesn't want a cutting service, great. Don't use it. But let's not derail into a discussion on the HOLY SACREDNESS OF PAPER THAT HAS WORDS PRINTED ON THEM because it's a derail steeped in privilege (money, health, and property-ownership) and it's not going to engender happy feelings.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyway.

Note that this isn't directed at you specifically, VXF. More just a call to please let's not have a huge pile-on to derail the thread and have important information buried beneath this Dead Horse debate.

Last edited by anamardoll; 09-22-2011 at 06:04 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #78
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
But I'll be damned if I ever cut, or help cut, or pay for cutting, a book.
Most of the works going into Project Gutenberg come from bulk scanners who destroy the books as part of the scanning process.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #79
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Most of the works going into Project Gutenberg come from bulk scanners who destroy the books as part of the scanning process.
"If you destroy me, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #80
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't is "strike me down"? Yes, I'm a complete nerd.
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #81
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I'm interested to see more reviews on this service as people try it.

I wish some other business would take on the OCR/conversion part

Last edited by whitearrow; 09-23-2011 at 05:51 PM.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #82
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Isn't is "strike me down"? Yes, I'm a complete nerd.
Yes, but I didn't think it fit with pbooks being destroyed...

But NerdKarma!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #83
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Yes, but I didn't think it fit with pbooks being destroyed...

But NerdKarma!
Well, that's true enough.

Thank you!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #84
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
We have a sheet-feed, two-side-reading scanner at work and have had it for a few years, but only a few months ago did I give myself permission to dismantle some of my books, mostly paperback, and run them through the device. I was PDFing most everything at first (I use Paperport), but now I add OCRing them (Textbridge is really good) and making RTFs since my JBL can read them. I also have books I'd rather pass on, so I've found epub versions on Diesel and Books on Board. I realize not everyone -- actually very few people have or have access to a good scanner, but if you do, it's a great option. With a cheap flatbed scanner (under $100 at, say, Staples), one can scan comic books, which I wouldn't want to tear up and put through a sheet feeder, and larger magazines which can't fit in a sheet feeder anyhow.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #85
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I personally have a printer scanner with a sheet feeder that I bought to try to make my DTB shrink and that stupid feeder jams every time I try it with a paperback but works find for a stack of 8.5x11 papers. Even with two people one sitting by the printer scanner and one setting at the computer pressing the scan button it takes an hour to scan a dtb. If I can pay a $1.00 to scan a dtb it is worth it.

FYI - I wrote to them asking if it would be ok to send them the book without the front cover. They said that was fine.

Last edited by magicmonster; 09-25-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: edited for spelling and grammar
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #86
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Soooo.....I just got an e-mail from the 1dollarscan folks, with an announcement of new and improved features on their website, AND....WAIT FOR IT...

NEW MEMBERSHIPS AND PRICING POLICY!!!!

The e-mail is pretty long, and I'm just quoting the new memberships and pricing policy part:

Quote:
Regular Membership

$0 subscription/month
Book Scanning $1/set
OCR: $1/set (All of our books are searchable if you purchase this option)
Book title option: $1/set (Your PDF file name will be book title)
Turn around time: 2-3 months

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Platinum Membership

$99.99 subscription/month
Free scanning up to 50 sets ($150 value for $99.99. Include following options)
OCR: All of our books are searchable.
Book title option: Your PDF file name will be book title.
Expedited scanning. (5-10 business days)
Unlimited storage of your books on our server.
Amazon direct shipment: Now you can ship directly from Amazon order
No need to write order# on a box.
No need to count sets. We will count for you.
No Roll Over of unused sets to following month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that,
as we introduce those new memberships and services,
old pricing and free OCR campaigns will no longer be valid.
I was sort of suspicious that they might get flooded, and have trouble keeping to the 2-4 week turnaround time they promised when I sent them my batch of books at the end of September. But 2-3 MONTHS for turnaround, unless you pay them $99 per month for a Platinum membership, which only makes sense if you want to buy their OCR and also want to pay them to have your PDF file name be the book title (how hard is that?).

Hmmmmm....2-3 MONTHS! WOW!

OTOH, without this service, I don't have the time to turn some of my "highly desired" DTB into e-books, so I guess my wait time would be years, or never, otherwise. So, I guess I'll still send along that second box I've been preparing. And then wait...and wait...and wait...

If anyone wants the full e-mail, please PM me, and I'll send it along.

Last edited by sufue; 10-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #87
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Sufue, I don't really understand what that all means. By "set" are they referring to a certain number of pages? And if it's $99.99 for up to 50 sets, how do they figure that is a $150.00 value if the sets only cost $1 each, or perhaps $2 if you include the extra dollar for the OCR?

And there's no rollover. I guess that means you would have to send all 50 sets and have them done in the same month or else you lose out? That is all very weird.

I'm surprised it is set up as a subscription rather than just having some pre-paid plans where you can buy the conversion of a certain number of books/pages without the monthly subscription.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #88
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Yes, a set is up to 100 pages with no rollover between books. The third dollar seems to stem from the "get a meaningful file name" option. Too much nickle and diming for my taste.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #89
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Sufue, I don't really understand what that all means. By "set" are they referring to a certain number of pages? And if it's $99.99 for up to 50 sets, how do they figure that is a $150.00 value if the sets only cost $1 each, or perhaps $2 if you include the extra dollar for the OCR?

And there's no rollover. I guess that means you would have to send all 50 sets and have them done in the same month or else you lose out? That is all very weird.

I'm surprised it is set up as a subscription rather than just having some pre-paid plans where you can buy the conversion of a certain number of books/pages without the monthly subscription.
I don't think they've thought it through very well. I suspect they just got swamped, and are trying to capitalize on it. I too was very surprised for them to try to set it up as a subscription...I don't know how many folks will really have such consistent needs over time, or want to have all of the extras that make it worthwhile - i.e. their OCR and a special file name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Yes, a set is up to 100 pages with no rollover between books. The third dollar seems to stem from the "get a meaningful file name" option. Too much nickle and diming for my taste.
I don't mind paying on a pay-for-what-you-want basis. To me, $1 per set for the scanning is really worth it. And maybe even their OCR for $1 set isn't too bad, although I'm okay with my own OCR. But $1 per set for the file name is so laughable that I have trouble not falling out of my chair!

I'm just going to send whatever I want to send on the "basic" plan, put ticklers in my calendar so I don't lose track of what they owe me in the 2-3 months I have to wait, and then be patient. I do have a long enough TBR list, after all
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #90
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

I was going to join the subscription until I read a little more closely -- I was thinking it was $100 for 100 sets. Not 50 sets. I agree that book titling and OCRing is not useful for me -- I'm converting the scans into epub with FineReader anyway.

They did contact me -- and a few others, I think -- about why I was sending them 300 books in one month. They were curious about the use case and I told them about library conversion. I guess they took from that that $3 a book for making the book title the name of the PDF was added value. I would say more research is needed on their part.