Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #541
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Can we see a picture from old Kindle 4 to new Kindle 4 ?
I already packed the old one for shipping but you can look at the previous pics posted and these new ones and see a big difference!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	77402   Click image for larger version

Name:	new2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	77403  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #542
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I already packed the old one for shipping but you can look at the previous pics posted and these new ones and see a big difference!
Oh yes, much better! Congrats!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #543
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
Interesting pictures . . . which font is that in the pics?

I can't tell any difference in the background color of the pages in these pics from the K3 to the K4.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #544
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Blossom, gotta ask - Are you still going to get a Sony?
I'm so confused, they all sound so good! Screen is really really important to me though!
S
Yes I am. I love the screen and it just so nice of a reader not to have. I think it competes well and it downloads library books directly which is a big seller for me. See Lisa's Review as it shows everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I wonder if your replacement K4 still looks like a darker background compared to the K3 because the bezel is a lighter color? I know that when I bought my Sony 505, I compared the dark blue case with silver in-store, and the dark blue bezel definitely made it *appear* to my eyes that the background was whiter on the screen itself.
I did what someone here suggested and laid a paper overlay on each of them and on the old K4 there was really no change for the better but the new is very close to my K3 it's just a very light grey while the K3 is a creme color. So it's very close I guess you just expect the newer stuff to be better. I am thinking when the stickers come out to put one on the K4 and that might help with glare issues and maybe trick me into thinking it's darker but I am happy for now.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #545
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
Interesting pictures . . . which font is that in the pics?

I can't tell any difference in the background color of the pages in these pics from the K3 to the K4.
I can but then I know what I am looking having seen them in real life. The K4 is light gray and the K3 is creme when held the K3 looks near white and when holding the K4 it looks a greyish white but it's not a big deal to me now as the old one had a gray cast to it and looked a little washed out next to the K4, this one is much better and comes close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Oh yes, much better! Congrats!
Thanks!

The font is the Condensed font on the Kindle. I don't use any hacks, plug in or custom fonts.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-06-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #546
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I'm sure you can tell much better looking at them in real life instead of just in a picture - it's hard to capture nuances in pics.
I'm glad you got a better Kindle for your replacement.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #547
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
I'm sure you can tell much better looking at them in real life instead of just in a picture - it's hard to capture nuances in pics.
I'm glad you got a better Kindle for your replacement.
Oh yes it's very hard to capture the difference because of how E-ink works. The old one had this ugly gray haze to it. Looked misted and made the text look washed out. The new one it does not have that, it's a very light grey background, no haze and nice dark text but I will say this the glass is different in the K4 then the K3 and that might be what changes the background tint. The glass has a more matte finished to it then the K3 glass which is more clear.

Thanks I'm glad this one is better because I was really bummed about it but Amazon made it better!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #548
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

My $7 case (Sleeve) came today!
It was in my mailbox so hubby brought it in when he got home for work.

It's a Ex-Point Kobo Touch eReader Leather Case and I got it on Ebay for $7 with shipping.
It a soft leather with soft cloth inside.
It's not really stiff so I wouldn't put it in my purse to travel with but it will be a good around the house protector from cat and dust which is what I need for now.

It fits the K4 to a T! I mean it fits like it was made for it.
I am guessing the person bought it from Borders and they're all over ebay. It does not have a flap or zipper to close so the reader will fall out if you hold it upside down. So don't do that.

I really like it and I may get a travel case as the cheaper ones comes available but if you need something to hold you over for now look on ebay. I wouldn't pay over $14 for one with shipping. It is nice leather not cheap feeling at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	1529
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	77411  

Last edited by Blossom; 10-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #549
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool do-it-yourself

Quote:
My $7 case (Sleeve) came today!
It was in my mailbox so hubby brought it in when he got home for work.

It's a Ex-Point Kobo Touch eReader Leather Case and I got on Ebay for $7 with shipping.
It a soft leather with soft cloth inside.
It's not really stiff so I wouldn't put it in my purse to travel with but it will be a good around the house protector from cat and dust which is what I need for now.

It fits the K4 to a T! I mean it fits like it was made for it.
I am guessing the person bought it from Borders and they all over ebay. It does not have a flap or zipper to close so the reader will fall out if you hold it upside down. So don't do that.

I really like it and I may get a travel case as the cheaper one comes available but if you need something to hold you over for now look on ebay. I wouldn't pay over $14 for one with shipping. It is nice leather not cheap feeling at all.
when i was using a sleeve i made my own screen protector. i cut a piece of cast-off stiff plastic to fit in the case. i wrapped it in some soft cloth, attached the cloth to the plastic with packing tape, inserted the cloth-covered plastic into the screen side of the sleeve, and then i had a sleeve with a stiff side to protect the screen. i would have let you carry my kindle in your purse with it in that sleeve.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #550
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
when i was using a sleeve i made my own screen protector. i cut a piece of cast-off stiff plastic to fit in the case. i wrapped it in some soft cloth, attached the cloth to the plastic with packing tape, inserted the cloth-covered plastic into the screen side of the sleeve, and then i had a sleeve with a stiff side to protect the screen. i would have let you carry my kindle in your purse with it in that sleeve.
Thanks for the Tip! I don't know where to get some plastic to fit in there but I think that's a great idea!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #551
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

MEH. Both seem like very readable text to me. Why is everyone so obsessed about text resolution? It doesnt take much to make text clearly readable.

I laugh at the whole HD text people are talking about. Text doesnt need HD. They are just made up of a bunch of vertical/horizontal/angled lines and curves.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #552
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I laugh at the whole HD text people are talking about. Text doesnt need HD. They are just made up of a bunch of vertical/horizontal/angled lines and curves.
You never had the "pleasure" of reading from dot-matrix printouts in the early 1980s, I take it? Text certainly does need a reasonable display resolution to look good. These old dot-matrix printers printed at 72dpi, which really is NOT enough to look good. Current eInk displays have 167dpi, which is considerably better, but roughly on a par with cheap newsprint. It's nowhere near as good as the quality of text used for book printing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #553
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You never had the "pleasure" of reading from dot-matrix printouts in the early 1980s, I take it? Text certainly does need a reasonable display resolution to look good. These old dot-matrix printers printed at 72dpi, which really is NOT enough to look good. Current eInk displays have 167dpi, which is considerably better, but roughly on a par with cheap newsprint. It's nowhere near as good as the quality of text used for book printing.
I remember. Still highly readable imo. But still I dont notice any big difference of text resoulution between, vizplex, pearl or the k3/4. I just dont think that text needs a high resolution to be comfortably read or enjoyed and that people make too much a deal about it when concerning ereaders.

Though I think pearl screens are a little better than cheap newsprint, if they werent I would still have no problem with it. I have read newspaper print happily for years.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #554
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
But still I dont notice any big difference of text resoulution between, vizplex, pearl or the k3/4.
No - all those displays have the same resolution. The improvement with the Pearl screen is in the contrast, not the resolution. Pearl has 50% greater contrast than the older Viplex screens - blacks are a lot blacker.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #555
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Early 80's?!? We still use those workhorse printers at work. They out-last the laserjets and while the quality isn't as good, when you have to keep hardcopies the dot-matrix printers can't be beat.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote