Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Resolution is worse than the iPad mini:
  • 10.6" - 1366x768 = 148 ppi
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
It's not looking good.

Windows Surface RT: Microsoft's greatest hardware fiasco ever?

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-surface...er-7000006341/
ZDNET is the most biased tech website on the net. I block them in my google search.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I disagree with the premise of that article. It doesn't follow that, since the Surface is positioned between a true laptop and a conventional tablet, it "fails" because it ought to be a laptop. That's precisely the argument that was made against tablets in the first place -- that they were neither laptops nor simple media players.

As for the desirability and relative power of the Surface RT, I'll reserve judgment until I've actually gotten to play with one.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-25-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I disagree with the premise of that article. It doesn't follow that, because the Surface is positioned between a true laptop and a conventional tablet that it "fails" because it ought to be a laptop. That's precisely the argument that was made against tablets in the first place.
Agreed. "Now that we've created a new class of device that everyone said no one wanted, your device is doomed to failure because it's its own class of device, and no one wants it."
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
It looks to me like Microsoft got so caught up in outdoing Apple in design and presentation that they forgot all about what has made Windows so successful over the years. This thing is so limited in its ability to integrate with existing Microsoft systems it really doesn't offer business users a whole heck of a lot (if anything) over an iPad. Very disappointed.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yeah, that's really inexcusable at this price point and this late to the game.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't bother, luv always ends up being a disappointment.
Love reading instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I think I'm in luv!
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Don't bother, luv always ends up being a disappointment.
Love reading instead.
Read romances!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Yeah, that's really inexcusable at this price point and this late to the game.
Yep; Microsoft is pulling an iPad mini thing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Yep; Microsoft is pulling an iPad mini thing.
I comment a lot, though not here, on how the writers doing screen plays on TV and even on movies sometimes, must all be on drugs or maybe off their meds.

I think the same phenomena happens with a lot of the device hardware and software integrators and designers. We always end up with a hodgepodge with no readily discernible logic.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I'm disappointed RT does run Active Directory tools. Those are necessary for business, and if RT is for Tablets, there won't be any tablet I can use to replace my ultrabook. Darn.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I'm disappointed RT does run Active Directory tools. Those are necessary for business, and if RT is for Tablets, there won't be any tablet I can use to replace my ultrabook. Darn.
There are actually LOTS of tablets that will be running Windows 8 Pro--even a version of the Surface. Why would you think otherwise?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #28
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Isn't the screen the biggest determinant of price? Highes res screen costs more by itself but it also means you need a beefier CPU and GPU to drive it and a bigger battery to fuel everything.

So this thing is pretty pricey.

It does have 32gb. Which brings to my question: why is everyone so stingy on memory? Aren't flash memory pretty cheap nowadays? There's some serious price gouging going on there.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #29
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I like the idea of it, I'll want to try one out. I'll be interested in seeing how that keyboard is for typing. I considered the Chromebook, but it doesn't seem to have much offline capability. If the Chromebook could run LibreOffice offline, that would be a plus. This Surface tablet/laptop hybrid is intriguing, but I'll let other people be the guinea pigs first.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I like the idea of it, I'll want to try one out. I'll be interested in seeing how that keyboard is for typing. I considered the Chromebook, but it doesn't seem to have much offline capability. If the Chromebook could run LibreOffice offline, that would be a plus. This Surface tablet/laptop hybrid is intriguing, but I'll let other people be the guinea pigs first.
My thoughts exactly.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote