Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
string index out of range when setting foldename

want calibre manage my folders setting the first letter of author's name and then the folder with the complete name and the books inside. When trying to set the foldername this way in preferences

{author_sort[0]}/{title} - {authors}log

an error dialog says: "string index out of range"

what am i doing wrong?
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot affect the way that Calibre stores books inside its library - just the way it exports them to the outside world. Sounds like you were trying to change one of the masks that is used when exporting books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error is a bug that will be fixed in the next release, but yes tis mask will only affect the save to disk or send to device actions
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
Striegel
Striegel began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook mini
Any progress on the fixing of this bug yet? Do not mean to rush, but several releases down the road this is still an issue..
Striegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You never did clarify whether you were trying to set the internal or external path to be used?

If it was the external path, then did a ticket get raised so that it would not fall through the cracks? Forum posts are an unreliable way to raise bugs with any guarantee that they will not be forgotten (particularily when there is a lot of other development activities happening as has recently been the case).

Last edited by itimpi; 05-22-2010 at 04:14 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
Striegel

It was not me that started the thread, but I was looking for a means to transfer the books to my device in an orderly fashion. Navigation on the bebook mini is not easy if you have to 'scroll' through a large list of authors. I thought to make it easier to include a folder with the first letter of the authors_sort name to make the first index only 26 characters long. Since I got an error message I searched in the forum and found this rather old post and thought to give it a try to get an answer on my issue.
What I would like is to save my bookchest to my device in the following form:

{author_sort[0]}/{authors} - {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error is a bug that will be fixed in the next release, but yes tis mask will only affect the save to disk or send to device actions
I just tried this setting {author_sort[0]}/{title} - {authors} and it works fine. I can only assume that it was corrected in the "next release" back in January or February as Kovid stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striegel View Post
Any progress on the fixing of this bug yet? Do not mean to rush, but several releases down the road this is still an issue..
Kovid also stated above it only affects the Save to Disk or Send to Device features.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Striegel

Whenever I try to do this I get this error message:

ERROR: Invalid template: <p>The template {author_sort[0]}/{title} - {authors} is invalid:<br>string index out of range

Currently working in the latest (as far as I know) release: 0.6.54
Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
Striegel

Just to clarify the above post. The error message apperas whenever I try to modify the 'Sending to device' template in Preferences - Add/Save. I can only leave the menu via the cancel button I cannot save it.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Just to clarify the above post. The error message apperas whenever I try to modify the 'Sending to device' template in Preferences - Add/Save. I can only leave the menu via the cancel button I cannot save it.
Code:
00noseries/{author_sort[0]}_authors/{authors}/{title}-{id}/{title}
I use this on my Astak Pocket Pro (Jinke V5)
Note the mix of "Literals" and field balues.

Under "00noseries" (the 00 tricks th alpha sort to put no series at the top of the file list on the PEz) folder, I get ":

"a_authors" folder that contains folders for:

Wesley Allison
Aaron Allston
James G. Anderson & Mark Seabanc
Poul Anderson
Ilona Andrews
Christopher Anvil & Eric Flint
Keri Arthur
Catherine Asaro
Robert Asprin
I had no problem changing the template in 6.54
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It was not me that started the thread, but I was looking for a means to transfer the books to my device in an orderly fashion. Navigation on the bebook mini is not easy if you have to 'scroll' through a large list of authors. I thought to make it easier to include a folder with the first letter of the authors_sort name to make the first index only 26 characters long. Since I got an error message I searched in the forum and found this rather old post and thought to give it a try to get an answer on my issue.
What I would like is to save my bookchest to my device in the following form:

{author_sort[0]}/{authors} - {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
That template can cause a very long (huge length) , single folder name
Code:
{authors} - {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
with compound authors, long winded titles and series names that make
road signs in Wales look short
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Striegel: are you sure you are using 0.6.54? That bug was definitely fixed. Look next tot he big red heart for the version number
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
*untangles thread*

This is why necroposting is bad.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
Striegel

kovidgoyal,

You were right, thought the programme was updating automatically, but it turned out I had to reinstall calibre to really update it...
Sorry for the hassle ... mea culpa.